Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
cnn is the only ones talking about this, cnn does seem to usually have the news first.

Multiple sources confirm (NO Fire Department, Mayor, etc)  Fox is showing rebroadcasts, only CNN is broadcasting live.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
they say they cant estimate the death toll yet. Why the hell dont these people get out of there before the storm hit?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The mayor said that rescuers could hear people trapped in their attics, drowning, screaming for help.  He said that some people had used firearms to shoot holes in their roof to escape to the rooftop.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they say they cant estimate the death toll yet. Why the hell dont these people get out of there before the storm hit?

We had a member here called Yellow something who said he was "going to ride it out" though I tried to convince him to leave.  Said it was "no big deal" or something to that effect, he's seen hurricanes before ...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had a member here called Yellow something who said he was "going to ride it out" though I tried to convince him to leave.  Said it was "no big deal" or something to that effect, he's seen hurricanes before ...

yellow5?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yellow5?

Yes.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CNN:  New Orleans Fire Chief confirms 200 foot break in levee.  Lake Ponchatrain is pouring into New Orleans, near Canal Street.  Mayor says some sections deep as 20 feet.  Airport under water.  All of Slidell MS underwater.  Metarie is under water.  All routes out of New Orleans are underwater.  Oil Tanker has ran aground and is leaking oil.  Barge hit major skyscraper and structural integrity is compromised.  Many reports of bodies floating in the water from firemen, policemen.  Bodies floating everywhere in east New Orleans.

Geez.

I was hoping that with the change of course, New Orleans would escape with few deaths. I suppose that's not going to be the case.

The pumps that are working are pumping water that is ending up coming back in through the levee breach.

So I take it they stopped pumping?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
CNN:  New Orleans Fire Chief confirms 200 foot break in levee.  Lake Ponchatrain is pouring into New Orleans, near Canal Street.  Mayor says some sections deep as 20 feet.  Airport under water.  All of Slidell MS underwater.  Metarie is under water.  All routes out of New Orleans are underwater.  Oil Tanker has ran aground and is leaking oil.  Barge hit major skyscraper and structural integrity is compromised.  Many reports of bodies floating in the water from firemen, policemen.  Bodies floating everywhere in east New Orleans.

Geez.

I was hoping that with the change of course, New Orleans would escape with few deaths. I suppose that's not going to be the case.

The pumps that are working are pumping water that is ending up coming back in through the levee breach.

I don't believe that they have.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
DUPE:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=383953&page=1

I belive this is a new break, any how STFU!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DUPE:

Not a dupe at all. That other thread was from Monday morning and mostly contains song lyrics. This one contains current info.

Oh yeah, get a life.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
DUPE:

Is it really necessary for the dupe police to chime in on a life and death issue that effects folks in the way this event has?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

Well thats just fucking stupid. I would think that could cause more damage. Kind of like creating a current. But I don't know.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

Well thats just fucking stupid. I would think that could cause more damage. Kind of like creating a current. But I don't know.

From the interview I just heard on CNN, sounds like the folks are at a loss on how to stop up the levee, millions of gallons of water are apparently pour in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:46:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#16]
www.wwltv.com

Check here for streaming coverage, the mayor seems beat down but not beaten.  

Live coverage has gone away for now.

NOLA got it's ass kicked.  

Pray in whichever way you do.

Rick  

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:06:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Geez.

From the interview I just heard on CNN, sounds like the folks are at a loss on how to stop up the levee, millions of gallons of water are apparently pour in.

Usually you sink something large...barge full of rocks, or concrete cassons like we used to make the Mulberrys off of Normandy...
...looks like no one gave a thought to pre-position stuff like that...

I am somewhat disturbed that even though we knew this could happen 3-4 days ago I have yet to see a Amtrac or LAV on the streets.  It doesn't take that long to get to LA from Virginia by rail.  Or even the ones in California... now that the levy is broken the water is getting deep enough for even LCMs to get into the streets...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#18]
If you read it this is the breach I mentioned IS the 9th ward, I'm not the one who started singing....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:16:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Whats going on in the Big Easy is just unbelievable almost with the levee breaking.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:17:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Usually you sink something large...barge full of rocks, or concrete cassons like we used to make the Mulberrys off of Normandy...

I am somewhat disturbed that even though we knew this could happen 3-4 days ago I have yet to see a Amtrac or LAV on the streets.  It doesn't take that long to get to LA from Virginia by rail.  Or even the ones in California...

Was thinking this myself -
Then I remembered the politicians have spent 40 years ignoring this problem in the hopes that it will go away... Some shit never changes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am somewhat disturbed that even though we knew this could happen 3-4 days ago I have yet to see a Amtrac or LAV on the streets.  It doesn't take that long to get to LA from Virginia by rail.  Or even the ones in California...

Was thinking this myself -
Then I remembered the politicians have spent 40 years ignoring this problem in the hopes that it will go away... Some shit never changes.

40 years ago right after the last levee break they could of done something about it.  Concrete casemates could have been poured back then, towed to a out of the way part of the lake and river and sunk.  They all we would have to do now is pump enough of the water out for them to float, tow them to the breach, and then shove them in till they ground. Sandbag around the gaps.

Arranging to have Amtracs ready is a bigger oversight, that doesn't take such a long lead time to arrange for their shipping.  They cant all be deployed- what do they use for training?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

On another forum a guy was staying. And I qoute....

"Because this is fun. Seriously"

Some of the guys there are thrill seekers. I personally am hoping to fuck those types of people drown in the most miserable of ways. Nothing but a burden on the emergency services that are in the area.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Newsfeed.

mms://wmbcast.mgeneral.speedera.net/wmbcast.mgeneral/wmbcast_mgeneral_aug262005_1435_95518

http://www.wkrg.com/

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:18:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:38:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I woke up this moring and started reading this thread and turned on the news.  Fox was talking about dolphins in a swimming pool.  WTF??  Now they are talking about the forecast.  Whats going on??

Well I'm out of here and off to work.  I imagine when I get home the news will be increasingly dismal.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:39:34 AM EDT
[#27]
"“We probably have 80 percent of our city under water with some sections of our city the water is as deep as 20 feet”.

Both airports are underwater

The twin spans are destroyed.

The Yacht club is burned and destroyed

www.bayoubuzz.com/articles.aspx?aid=4864

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:42:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I woke up this moring and started reading this thread and turned on the news.  Fox was talking about dolphins in a swimming pool.  WTF??  Now they are talking about the forecast.  Whats going on??

Well I'm out of here and off to work.  I imagine when I get home the news will be increasingly dismal.

Dont be too sure.  So far the media has been far off the mark.  When they cannot get real numbers or video they exaggerate.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#29]
And now the looting has begun:

www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/08/30/katrina/index.html

-edit toadd:
Sorry, just woke up and found this was old news.  Still disappointing, though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Am I reading that map right?

The major flood wall was only 25 feet high, and some of the other levees were only around 10?

When was the last time that got improved? Back in Wilkes-Barre, PA we almost had a flood and went and got a big federal grant to improve our levee system. I think we're at 40 feet now. We had the "storm of the century" in '72 (Agnes, water was at or near my second floor)  and right now that storm wouldn't make it over the top.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back forone month.

Is there going to be anything worth going back to??
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

Jeff Parish President. Residents will probably be allowed back in town in a week, with identification only, but only to get essentials and clothing. You will then be asked to leave and not come back forone month.

fuck!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#34]
So where did the second breech occur?  Lake or River side.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#35]
So they are going to let the flooding run its course.  Its probably very hard to stop such a large break once it gets started.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Talked to family in LA.  Also monitoring emergency services on the radio right now.

There are lots of residents who are trapped in their homes, all over Louisiana and Mississippi.  That's old news, I'm sure, but calls keep coming in.  South Louisiana 911 calls are ringing in Bossier City LA!  Call in for 2 females trapped in an attic in Biloxi just now, one elderly and on oxygen.  Earlier, a disabled elderly couple who were trapped in their home in Gretna.  I'm sure they still are - I think a lot of these people couldn't get out - they are not able to travel on their own.

Bossier City Marshall is en route to the affected area as is the BCPD SWAT - Emergency Management is not sure what to even do with communications assets yet, so has requested us to stand by.

My uncle's house is in the flooded zone (Kenner, just 2 blocks from the airport).  His animals are there.  

Fortunately, my uncle and his family are out, but all of their stuff is flooded and likely now, gone.

From radio, there is no phone communication with anyone in Biloxi - there is a relay station working VHF into there.

Anyway, the government in NO is notoriously corrupt.  The pumps had incorrect roofs and when the roofs blew off, the pumps shut down - other pumps weren't wired to generators.  A lot of times when they were building things down there, driving pilings or such, they'd hit a pocket of water under the ground and the river would start flooding in.  The way to fill those was to either pour sand and concrete in or if it was big enough, sink a barge in it.

Family of six trapped in an attic.  I can't imagine much worse...  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
So they are going to let the flooding run its course.  Its probably very hard to stop such a large break once it gets started.

I think that when it increased to TWO breaks that kind of forced their hand.  And the water flow might not have been allowing the 3000 pound bags to stay in proper place..
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Anyone have a pic of one of the actual breaches?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Might be cheaper to level the city (which is probably just about done.)  Add dirt to make the city area higher then the water and then rebuild.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Where in the hell you gonna dig a hole big enough to get that much dirt? You're joking right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If it's underwater I say we leave it, to drain it and rebuild will simply be a temp fix. Lets just give the people who have lost homes some cash. If we gave israel $300k+ a family we can give that to americans.

I figure in the long run it would save quite a few bucks.

So around 24 billion, just for NOLA?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Where in the hell you gonna dig a hole big enough to get that much dirt? You're joking right?

I volunteer to turn Wash DC back into a swamp.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos26.flickr.com/38676631_ce0fe0ff05.jpg?v=0

photos27.flickr.com/38676501_a8a737bf4d.jpg?v=0

I've seen those.  They look like water is flowing from a residential area into a waterway and not the other way around.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I volunteer to turn Wash DC back into a swamp.  

Seconded!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Still, there is obviously a big leak somewhere else, and someone mentioned there was water flowing UP from underneath the streets. (?)

Not sure about that, but I suppose damned near anything is possible about now!

Happens all the time there.  There are pockets of water under the city.  Under normal situations, they don't bother anyone unless you dig a hole down into them and then they come bubbling up.  This is not normal situations.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#49]
FOX:  Urgent call to evacuate East New Orleans - water expected to rise by 9 additional feet within the next 15 hours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Wx Channel just announced that the efforts to plug the Canal Street breach have failed. Water is expected to rise 3' above sea level.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top