Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 5:34:47 PM EDT
I think I'm going to finally break down and get an AK style weapon.Don't want to spend a lot on my 1st one so I'll go with one of the SAR's.

I'm probably going to go with the SAR3 as I want to stay with my current ammo requirements of 223 and 308.I don't want to get into that scenerio of "I have 10 weapons and 10 different calibers"

What do you guys think of the SAR3,and what's involved in converting the 5.45 mags into 5.56 mags?It looks like Aim Surplus has the best price on the weapon but how about mags?Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have an SAR3. I do have an SAR1 & 2 however. Both are reliable but UGGGGLY. Horrible lacquer/stain on the wood. So-so finish on the metal.

You will want to search the Romanian section of the new ak-47 site http://ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/index.php

There are many threads on the 3s, some good, some bad. It seems the early ones, and it seems some of the latest ones, have a very soft hammer that deforms very badly causing FTF. You'll have to look for yourself.

Here is a thread that details the 74' to .223
 mag conversion http://ak-47.gunsnet.net/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14974
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an SAR-1, sorry it's not .223, but I love mine.

I've heard some bad things about the finish on some SAR's, but mine looks great. Both the wood and the metal.

Also, it functions great, but I did need to file on the fire control parts to get rid of trigger slap.

Other than that, for the money, I'd say go for it. It's hard to go wrong or $300.00.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you're the gambling type, I'd strongly suggest going with an SAR-1,WUM-1, or MAK-90...
Basically, anything in 7.62 X 39.
The AK's were originally designed around this cartridge...

I had a BAD experience with an SAR-3 in .223, a few months ago...
1st time at the range, it only fired single shots...
The bolt was not reaching far enough into the mag, to push out the rounds.
I fooled with different mags/ammo and even ordered Vepr style followers...
All efforts failed, and I finally returned the gun to my dealer...
He apologized, and I left with a nice Romanian WUM-1 in 7.62 X 39... I've shot probably 3000+ rounds through it so far, and never had any sort of problem...
I've "bump-fired" numerous 30 round mags through it, and even a 100 round drum...All without even a hiccup...

If you're hell-bent on a .223, I've heard good things about the VEPR II rifles from Robinson Armament...
I haven't owned one, but I understand they make high quality AK look-a-likes in .308,.223,and 7.62X39...  
They have a full page ad in Shotgun News...

ROBINSON ARMAMENT CO.
PO BOX 16776
SALT LAKE CITY ,UT 84116-0776
Tel # (801) 355-0401

or online at: [red][url]http://www.robarm.com[/url][/red]

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I heard nothing but bad about the .223,go with the sar1 or 2 ammo is cheap for both.mmk
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah go with a 1 or 2, since this is your first Sar go with the 1. plenty of ammo. It can eat any kind of crap ammo you throw at it without missing a beat.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought an SAR2 awhile back and have been extremely happy with it, no trigger slap, no FTF.  Put the KOBRA sight on it and it's a blast to shoot, when I can pry it out of all my buddies hands!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a sar-1 about 6 or 7 months ago and before I went out put a metal adjustible sight on it and lined the front sight up and the rear sight and went out and fired it man it was about 2" inches high at 100 so I pretty much left it alone about 500 rounds threw it with out a hitch. cheap mags, cheap ammo and reliability all in one and at 100 yards fairly acurate. shot a match with it for fun did not hit target at 200 and 300 but only dropped 4 points at 100 off hand. plan on getting a sar-2 when I can find a great deal but I hear bad things about the sar-3 and why would you want to buy something like that when no one really makes or sells the mags cheap as I do not think you will find any surplus 223 ak mags
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a SAR 1 that I love.  No, it is not like an AR, but it wasn't made to be.  The ammo is cheap, and it is a blast to shoot.  I refinished the wood and it actually looks good now.  Also, magazines are still cheap with 30 rounders to be found under $10.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a SAR-1, and LOVE IT! Go w/ the 7.62x39, cheap, plentiful ammo, cheap mags, and it is 100% reliable. My finish is not good, but who cares? SAR-3 mags are gonna be expensive and "picky", but w/7.62 anybodys mag will fit. With ammo down to $70 a thousand you simply cannot go wrong. Besides a .30 caliber has a lot more "BANG". Oh yeah, and it does the BUMP really wicked too!
Link Posted: 7/19/2001 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a smith in Arizona that makes an adapter so you can use AR mags in a .223 AK. It was on the AK board about 2 years ago. I may go this route if I get board and decide to get a SAR3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top