Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't Lord Trader living in NO?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]

The roof of the Louisiana Superdome is shredded by strong winds from Hurricane Katrina as it batters New Orleans, Monday, Aug. 29, 2005. (AP Photo/Bill Haber)

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All right reserved.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#3]
The 10,000 unfortunate people who were stranded at the Superdome may be safe now.

Thanks for the prayers for them.

Shift them to the folks in some of the other areas that are getting hammered now.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Upside:  There are many 'factors of safety' calculated into a building, which means that it is 25-30% over designed.

Downside:  The building is designed for 120mph GUSTS not sustained wind loads.  Sustained wind load design is probably around 85-90 mph.

Yes, I am an engineer.

FNC had one of the structural engineers for the Superdome on the phone earlier.

It is designed to withstand sustained winds of 150 and GUSTS up to 200.

Where do you get your info?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
How long before that place starts smelling real ripe.  Not the usual crowd there now.  Who will be the first to take a dump on the fifty yard line!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
How long before that place starts smelling real ripe.  Not the usual crowd there now.  Who will be the first to take a dump on the fifty yard line!  

With a couple large holes in the cealing thats probably not going to happen now.

And since the city didn't flood all those who can physically get to their homes (or dont have any to begin with) will probably be allowed to leave in a few hours if they wish.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Yes, he is in Shreveport right now.  Company loceted there for the emergency HQ.  But, all of his personal belongings are in a third floor apartment in NO.  

TRG

He put all the guns in the car before he left right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:47:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Yes, he is in Shreveport right now.  Company loceted there for the emergency HQ.  But, all of his personal belongings are in a third floor apartment in NO.  

TRG

Prayers sent, I hope he managed to get everything out that he wanted to save.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Even if its designed to withstand 150 mph wind. That does nothing to stop 150mph projectiles that may be flying around in the wind.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The people in the Superdome are fine. The outer shell is gone. A couple of 5-7 foot holes all the way through to help provide ventalation since there is no AC anymore. Winds are bad but slowing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Even if its designed to withstand 150 mph wind. That does nothing to stop 150mph projectiles that may be flying around in the wind.

That is exactly correct. However, the intrinsic strength of the materials will provide some resistance to missiles. The roof may be damaged and the weather-tightness could be compromised, but the likelihood of a catastrophic collapse of the roof is extremely remote. My biggest concern, if I were the structural engineer of record for the structure, would be that enough holes would open up in the shell to make the roof"partially enclosed", thereby effectively increasing the forces on the total structural system. As with any high-wind event, the goal is to keep the roof attached to the walls.

I would further suggest that the satdium walls themselves could likely stand if the roof were magically removed in an instant. However, if the roof collapses, I would not think that the walls would be sufficient ot resist the extraordinary lateral loads.

Just as the World Trade Center was not designed (nor could it be, practically speaking) to withstand the enormous fire wrought by a fuel-laden commercial jetliner, the Superdome could not be designed to withstand an extraordinary loading case. However, I am fully confident that my brother engineers who designed the Superdome have provided a structure more than robust enough to survive a Category-5 wind event.

I have personally designed structures for major grain handling facilities in the region. I am keenly interested to learn how these structures performed. I fully expect to have lost a good deal of siding and roofing, but do not expect any of the primary structures to have been compromised. Still, I'm glad to be watching from Kansas than trying to ride Katrina out in NOLA!

God Bless the residents who couldn't leave, especially those who stayed behind to provide life safety. You've seen worse, Nawlins!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

TRG

He put all the guns in the car before he left right?

He did but they had a terrible accident after fleeing NO and all guns were lost!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With a couple large holes in the cealing thats probably not going to happen now.

And since the city didn't flood all those who can physically get to their homes (or dont have any to begin with) will probably be allowed to leave in a few hours if they wish.

The city looks flooded this AM?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The city looks flooded this AM?

BigDozer66

A levee on Lake Pontchartrain broke during the night.  Major flooding now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#16]
The latest report says there are about 30,000 people in the Superdome and the number is growing rapidly!

No Electricity.
No running water.
No A/C! (see above)
Toilets are clogged.
Conditions are horrendous.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#17]
The latest report says there are about 30,000 people in the Superdome and the number is growing rapidly!

No Electricity.
No running water.
No A/C! (see above)
Toilets are clogged.

BigDozer66

I wonder if they let people on the field yet?  They had them crowded into small seats that are tough on you only after a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is exactly correct. However, the intrinsic strength of the materials will provide some resistance to missiles. The roof may be damaged and the weather-tightness could be compromised, but the likelihood of a catastrophic collapse of the roof is extremely remote. My biggest concern, if I were the structural engineer of record for the structure, would be that enough holes would open up in the shell to make the roof"partially enclosed", thereby effectively increasing the forces on the total structural system. As with any high-wind event, the goal is to keep the roof attached to the walls.

I would further suggest that the satdium walls themselves could likely stand if the roof were magically removed in an instant. However, if the roof collapses, I would not think that the walls would be sufficient ot resist the extraordinary lateral loads.

Just as the World Trade Center was not designed (nor could it be, practically speaking) to withstand the enormous fire wrought by a fuel-laden commercial jetliner, the Superdome could not be designed to withstand an extraordinary loading case. However, I am fully confident that my brother engineers who designed the Superdome have provided a structure more than robust enough to survive a Category-5 wind event.

I have personally designed structures for major grain handling facilities in the region. I am keenly interested to learn how these structures performed. I fully expect to have lost a good deal of siding and roofing, but do not expect any of the primary structures to have been compromised. Still, I'm glad to be watching from Kansas than trying to ride Katrina out in NOLA!

God Bless the residents who couldn't leave, especially those who stayed behind to provide life safety. You've seen worse, Nawlins!

As good as the structural engineering community is, there are still a few "oopsies" that sneak through every now & then - the Citibank building in NYC comes to mind (where a fundamental flaw against angular wind loading was uncovered by an Engineering student, and required an expensive post-construction modification)

Just saw the oil platform that took a ride up the river in Mobile... people don't really understand the power of nature sometimes... yow!

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No Electricity.
No running water.
No A/C! (see above)
Toilets are clogged.

BigDozer66

I wonder if they let people on the field yet?  They had them crowded into small seats that are tough on you only after a few hours.

The field is probably flooded, or at risk of flooding any minute. Reports are there is 3+ feet of water all around the superdome, and the field is actually below ground level. The field is not where you want to be when it floods with disgusting filthy water, well you don't really want to be anywhere in that building.

I heard scenarios of 100+ degree temperatures inside the dome, and indoor rain, flooded with raw sewage and toxic chemicals and god knows what else. That building is about one of the last places in the world I'd want to be right now..
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No Electricity.
No running water.
No A/C! (see above)
Toilets are clogged.

BigDozer66

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if they let people on the field yet? They had them crowded into small seats that are tough on you only after a few hours.

The field is probably flooded, or at risk of flooding any minute. Reports are there is 3+ feet of water all around the superdome, and the field is actually below ground level. The field is not where you want to be when it floods with disgusting filthy water, well you don't really want to be anywhere in that building.

I heard scenarios of 100+ degree temperatures inside the dome, and indoor rain, flooded with raw sewage and toxic chemicals and god knows what else. That building is about one of the last places in the world I'd want to be right now..

I wonder where they plan on stashing those people?  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No Electricity.
No running water.
No A/C! (see above)
Toilets are clogged.

BigDozer66

They will be getting bused to the Astrodome shortly!

BigDozer66
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top