Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been watching FOX and I cannot believe that people are hanging out and having a grand ole time when the S is getting ready to HTF.

I understand that not everyone can evac but those that choose to stay are fools.

Is this what happens when the sheep meet Darwin?

If you are talking about people from the coast.....

We dont' go screaming like little sissies when the news tells us to.

We hunker down, and, greet the next looter with a gun barrel.

I mean, I guess YOU trust the news media to give you your info...We don't.

I live inland TX now, but, I rode out 3 hurricanes in NC.

I ask you?  Would you run?  Leave you home to the looters?

Hm?

Those people know what they are doing.

Tell ya what...

Take that CO based judgement and use it on somthing you know about.  

Last time I checked your house isnt 6 feet BELOW sea level now is it.
Big difference man.

Not now.  Liek I said before...At one point it was about +1-+5 feet.

There were some butt puckering moments, to be sure, but, what I learned was that you depend on yourself.

As I said before....

If you want to head for the hills, I respect that.

I'd expect people on this board would respect people's choice to stay with their homes and property too.

The "Hurricane party" people are retards, BTW...Dont' know If I said that strongly enough.

Can't be drunk and, survive.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been watching FOX and I cannot believe that people are hanging out and having a grand ole time when the S is getting ready to HTF.

I understand that not everyone can evac but those that choose to stay are fools.

Hm?

Tell ya what...

Big difference man.

There were some butt puckering moments, to be sure, but, what I learned was that you depend on yourself.

As I said before....

I'd expect people on this board would respect people's choice to stay with their homes and property too.

The "Hurricane party" people are retards, BTW...Dont' know If I said that strongly enough.

That pretty much WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH.    Every comment you have made was contradictory to that until now.......   I won't say it again, so you may refer to my previous post about how I rate your intelligence.

ETA:   Staying behind to face a storm of this magnitude is FOOLISH unless you live in a concrete dome house with a sweet geny and a few extra pumps laying around.

Oh I get it, you must think that they are joking when they say EVERY wooden structure in the area will cease to exist after the storm......right?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think I would sit it out in New Orleans since it is underwater but most of the other coasts I would.

I just would want to to watch over my stuff and being a refugee sucks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hm?

Tell ya what...

Big difference man.

As I said before....

That pretty much WHAT I SAID TO BEGIN WITH.    Every comment you have made was contradictory to that until now.......   I won't say it again, so you may refer to my previous post about how I rate your intelligence.

ETA:   Staying behind to face a storm of this magnitude is FOOLISH unless you live in a concrete dome house with a sweet geny and a few extra pumps laying around.

Oh I get it, you must think that they are joking when they say EVERY wooden structure in the area will cease to exist after the storm......right?

Well, you actually didn't make it very clear who you were talking about.

I misunderstood, and, probably over reacted.

Now, I dont' give one, nor two, nor three craps if you think I'm intelligent or not.
Fourtunatly, I don't nee you to verify or nullify that part of me.

As I stated WAY earlier in this thread...

Partying is not a good idea.

If you choose to stay, that's your choice and, I respect you for defending yours.

If you choose to get gone, that's cool too.

What you said....EXACTLY was

"Those that choose to stay are fools."

No.."Pretty much"...or.."Kinda" about it.

I simply was on the side of those who don't run off in the face of what "they" say.

If that makes me a troll, or whatever, that's fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I could care less about these people out making fools of themselves, but here is why I get pissed at them:

Joe Jackass decides, I'm gonna have a good time during the storm, I'm gonna surf drink and fuck.
Gina Jackass watches Joe Jackass wash up on shore from a window inside of a bar.
Gina Jackass calls 911 during a 175mph storm, demanding they come save her waste of oxygen, and demands an upstanding EMT or police officer risks his own VALUABLE life for theirs when it would obviously be suicide.
Mr. Dispatcher explains that it is a risk the department cannot take.
Storm Ends, we are minus Joe Jackass.
Gina gets her trailer back, but makes friends with a lawyer.
Gina Jackass and Mr. Lawexplotingprick Esq, sue the county.
Supreme Court Justice Souter is the judge in the case because he pulled some strings at another chance to legislate from the bench, and since he comes from the same gene pool as Gina Jackass, she wins 8.4 million, which is 64 times more than Joes Seven Eleven life insurance policy.

Me, John Q. Public takes yet another hit in my paycheck for the Jackass family's stupidity.

I understand what you're saying, but even most High School students know that this is not how the legal system treats this kind of problem as far as litigation.  I agree that these idiots put our Emergency responders in way to many bad situations.  When I lived in San Antonio there was a flood basin that flooded every time it rained.  They put barricades out every time and people still tried to cross. They started charging for the rescues and prosecuting for running the barricades and it mostly stopped.  We need more of that type of enforcement.

bd
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I live in Dallas and I'm not leaving!

Damn straight, we'll ride this out together!

Kidding aside, I hope the guys in N.O. are gonna make it.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]

CAT 5 bearing down on your home that sits 15+ feet below sea level, protected by pumps and levees that can only handle 3 or so inches of rain per hour?

And a mayor declaring he will confiscate property for the "common good"?

More of a tactical retreat than running away.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

CAT 5 bearing down on your home that sits 15+ feet below sea level, protected by pumps and levees that can only handle 3 or so inches of rain per hour?

And a mayor declaring he will confiscate property for the "common good"?

More of a tactical retreat than running away.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if I lived in hurricane country I'd have a house similar to this one in Garden City SC

img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/hurricanehouseingardencity.jpg

Although I'd add metal storm shutters for the windows

What's it made out of?

One thing that would beat that, is a retired minuteman silo
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hm?

Tell ya what...

IBTL

Ummmm,  We down south, take whatever is un-replacable, family photos, , etc.
and get insurance on the rest.

and, you get more insurance than you need!
SAY, you NEED $100,000 YOU GET $200,000

Go too a NICE hotel, DONT check in, you will probably be there only a couple hours.
THEY put you up in a on site reenforced concrete shelter, dont want to get sued ya know.

Talk to the other "guest" drink free drinks, eat free food and have a grand ol time, THEN, you go home.

and hope like hell all your shit blew away so you can collect!

Your either smart or lucky, we down south aint lucky!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#12]
They want to be first in line when the guberment starts handing out checks. The Weather Channel is saying that those who stayed behind have made a mistake.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
if I lived in hurricane country I'd have a house similar to this one in Garden City SC

img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/hurricanehouseingardencity.jpg

Although I'd add metal storm shutters for the windows

What's it made out of?

One thing that would beat that, is a retired minuteman silo

I think concrete. I don't think it was even scratched after Hugo came through. The house is on the other side of the road from the beach so it's right there taking the shit when  hurricane comes through
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#14]
[Petty]Don't want to live like a refugee![/Petty]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Watching the radar, it looks like it is still gonna hook back n.e. . I hope it does, cause if the high pressure over eastern Texas breaks down it might just roll on towards western La and east Texas.

But about the people, I agree. I saw something earlier, on the weather channel I believe, where a fellow on one of the barrier islands of La or Ms was refusing to leave. If I was a  distance inland, such as I am here in Texas, I would probably stay. But, a barrier island I would definitley be gone.
Of course with my job, I have to head into work and go on mandatory 12 hr shifts and ride out the storm and cannot evacuate, but the family would probably go to my parents up farther in the piney woods.

ETA: I have gone through two hurricanes in my short lifespan and numerous tropical storms/depressions. None were over a category 2 on the hurricanes. They were not bad, but they  still were not exactly what I would call fun.   I did enjoy the paycheck two years ago when we thought one of them was gonna hit us. 18 hours of double time and a half, gotta love call out pay
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:58:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
THIS hurricane in THIS location is the RIGHT hurricane to run from.  Once the whole of New Orleans floods, that water is going to hang around, since it'll be trapped on all sides by levees.  People that live inside the boundries of the levees that are staying by choice?  Darwin candidates.  

No kidding, I don't think the storm surge has made it in yet. Weather Channel was saying a storm surge around 20 feet is likely. But New Orleans will need to be changed to Lake Orleans once this is done I would imagine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting interview the history channel did with the survivor of a 3 story apt complex that was wiped away by hurricane Camille. I believe she was the only survivor of a group of 20-30 people who decided to ride it out and have a hurricane party.  She said the last of that complex she saw as she swam for her life was the third story sinking beneath the water. The storm surge swept her over a grove of pine trees and deposited her on some train tracks about a mile away where she was found  the next morning.  Her little "swim" took place somtime between 12 midnight and 3 a.m. during a raging cat 5 hurricane.

If it were me , not sure if i would have died from drowning or sheer terror.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:05:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:05:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Interesting interview the history channel did with the survivor of a 3 story apt complex that was wiped away by hurricane Camille. I believe she was the only survivor of a group of 20-30 people who decided to ride it out and have a hurricane party.  She said the last of that complex she saw as she swam for her life was the third story sinking beneath the water. The storm surge swept her over a grove of pine trees and deposited her on some train tracks about a mile away where she was found  the next morning.  Her little "swim" took place somtime between 12 midnight and 3 a.m. during a raging cat 5 hurricane.

If it were me , not sure if i would have died from drowning or sheer terror.

I think I have seen that interview before, same here. I could not imagine trying to swim that out. The currents, wind, rain and not mention the debris.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#21]
There is a need to be concerned, but it's still just a hurricane.  The hysteria on the radio and TV is flat out disgusting to witness.

I would evacuate if I lived in a trailer or on a barrier island, but other than that my main concern would be how this effects the fishing.

I've been in several.  Lost the garage to Celia, and yes,  Corpus Christi is either below sea level or right at it.   The water in the street was 5 foot deep during Celia.  Now that my mom is getting older I go stay with her during hurricanes.  The last one was just over a month ago (It went into Mexico South of Brownsville)

I'm betting your death toll is going to be around 15-20, most of them accidents or heart attacks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top