Keith
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
u pussy
its like a garder snake. harmless.
theres more shit that crawls on your food, before you even see it.
what a pussy.

Hey Pussy
you have any kids?  Pussy?

i do

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/DSC00005.jpg

pretty funny thread

however, i do not advocate the killing of random harmless snakes  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]
In that case,  should I take pics and post em' so that I can have someone verify the make and model?   Before SP1Grrling killing it?
Nobody here seems to be able to positively identify this one,.....even with 1690 looks and several replies
Does this mean the proverbial "H"mind (I didn't say it) has been stumped?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#6]
In the US there are very few kinds of snakes that can hurt you and most of them have rattles.

Out of those that don't have rattles, only the cottonmouth and copperhead really strike, and they have the same head shape as all the rattlers.

The other poisonous snakes have to really chew on you, they don't have large fangs, and don't inject poison.

So really, all you have to do is look for rattles and head shape.

All rattlers and the copperhead and cottonmouth have a kind of triangle shaped head.

Rattler

Cottonmouth

Copperhead

The other snakes that are poisonous (several kinds of Coral snakes) are pretty damn easy to spot, and really, they have very small teeth. They would have to chew on you for awhile to get to blood and their poison just kinda seeps from their mouth into the wound.

ETA: My Cottonmouth pic needed replacing.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Mudbug
This is the kind of information I was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks Mudbug
This is the kind of information I was looking for.

No problem.

Bull Snakes are one of the snakes that is often mistaken as a rattler, why, because it acts like one in order to scare you. It will coil and shake his tail in dry leaves making a rattle sound, but look at his head and you can see he's not a rattlesnake.

That is the head shape of all the non-poisonous snakes in N. America (see the difference) except for the coral snakes, but as I noted in the pics I posted above, they are very easy to identify because of their bright, unigue colering.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks harmless enough to me.  Would probably have kept your yard pest-free for years and years.

FWIW, I just kill the ones that can kill me.  The others are helpful.

Ding, ding, ding......

I only kill snakes that are venomous.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks harmless enough to me.  Would probably have kept your yard pest-free for years and years.

FWIW, I just kill the ones that can kill me.  The others are helpful.

Ding, ding, ding......

I only kill snakes that are venomous.

I do my best to not kill snakes at all. When I lived in west Texas (rattlesnake country, big time) if I found a rattlesnake around the house, I'd catch it and haul it to the other side of the field and release it. Most people hate snakes, but I kinda like not having rats, mice, and who knows what else.

And, before you ask, yes I've been bitten by a rattlesnake. Yes, I killed that one afterwards. No, I'm not bitter about it and caught several more after that one.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#11]
O.K.

Time to cook these snakes up on the B.B.Q.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw a snake in my yard today....4' blacksnake slithering through the wife's garden.

Instead of pissing my pants like a girl, I sat and watched it a while and let it go right on into the bushes and out of sight, where it's probably going to eat some field mice.

Sorry, this didn't warrant pictures or a post. But, in happier news, I didn't kill anything out of ignorance.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
u pussy
what a pussy.

Hey Pussy

I have a daughter, and I took her to where I used to work where we have black racers, and picked one up for her to touch, about a 5 - 5 1/2 footer.
I have no idea where people get their phobia of snakes from.
Most poisonus snakes will give you plenty of warning if you wander upon one.
I don't get all riled up if you kille a rattler or a moc if it's on your property, or in an area where kids play, but for the love of God, educate yourself on what the basic headshape is for venomous and nonvenomous snakes......
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
quijanos, great production. Inspirational, really...That grill IS magnificent (note to not let MR Playmore see the thread or all kinds of trees will suffer the same fate as that frikkin snake....

And BTW...ya did the right thing:
1. It does not help pay rent
2. Does not protect the house from intruders (mice and rats? Bah...get a cat---they don't scare the guests so much)
3. Does not qualify as a tax deduction

Besides being overly cute, my children will often remind me of that last criteria when they've gone and done something particularly bad....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:16:41 AM EDT
[#15]
2nd on the coachwhip..only cuz o fthe color...

damn snakes killers

maybe we should have a snake FAQ tacked.. a list of  kill and dont kill with pictures lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:44:19 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a boomslang, very deadly, good kill. You did say you were in Africa right?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:16:41 AM EDT
[#17]
We need to work on that shovel.  It's not very tactical.

Where's the free floating railed handle?

Where's the serrated edge on the spade?

Where's the flashlight for night ops?

Visible laser?!?!?!

Furthermore.....that snake should have been grilled since you posted the pic of the BBQ set up.  Then you would have dethroned SP1Girl and assumed the title belt for AR15.com's Non Poisonous Snake Assassin!

I think I'd be more inclined to say "nice work!" if you told us the snake launched at your face and tried to strangle your neck as you both wrestled in the backyard for 5 minutes before you slayed it.

<crazy ninja dance>
Hai YAH!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I love the "I was defending my family!" excuse
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#19]
#3 on the coachwhip.
Scared of snakes=sissyboy.
Plus,unused shovel .............(unless of course,it's a recently completed,handle-off restoration of an American classic.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#20]
That snake is a "Coachwhip."   Fast little suckers but harmless.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

CMOS

Apparantly not THAT fast
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CMOS

Apparantly not THAT fast

Well +100 on that one.   I didn't get into the 'serious' side of the story (all pussy stuff aside) but the thing looked pretty aggressive.   And talk about Fast! ....that thing was flying across the yard like it had 20 legs the times I had approached him it raised up its head about 10-12 inches off the ground (similar to the proverbial Cobra dance) and swayed from side to side while his head was all cocked back.  Not at all intimidated by me and stood its ground.  It was acting too agressive for my taste.  

Quoted:
I love the "I was defending my family!" excuse

If it was just me then I would've let it go.  So all you "buddy fuckers" can go fuck your own families in the back.  I still stand by my reasoning.  I have a couple small children and an aggressive acting snake in the yard is a 'shovel target' to me.   I'll admit that I'm not educated on the 9bizzillion species of snakes in South Texas and that any snake acting irratic around my kids is meat.  Dead Meat.    
So in the end, if you manly men let your kids play with all the 9000 different types of NON poisonous snakes out there, more power to you.  You are tougher than me and I cower in my pussy sissy boy simplistic way of taking care of business.  (Read:  I would hate to be your child/family).

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:38:49 PM EDT
[#23]
What's with all the shovel action.

After all, this is AR15.com
We need bump firing and video!!!
I wanna see tannerite and snake chunks flying!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
For all you people that have given me hell for supposedly hating snakes, I give you my red-tailed boa Malachai.  Had her back in high school.  She grew to be about 5 1/2 feet long.  Loved her to death, and no, I didn't kill her.  Even after she bit me.

Oh, and yes, I had just dragged myself out of bed, so don't EVEN think about commenting on how crappy I look.

www.mydivadesigns.com/malachai.jpg

Holy Hell! Trust me, you are good looking. You don't need the 5k worth of beauty crap sittin in the corner...

ETA: High School....nevermind. My wife had a collection of that stuff until she tuned about 22....

Nice snake by the way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:10:23 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
u pussy
what a pussy.

Hey Pussy

i do, but as you can see, I am feeding them to the snakes, one at a time. I kinda miss the one in this picture:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/DSC00005.jpg

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For all you people that have given me hell for supposedly hating snakes, I give you my red-tailed boa Malachai.  Had her back in high school.  She grew to be about 5 1/2 feet long.  Loved her to death, and no, I didn't kill her.  Even after she bit me.

Oh, and yes, I had just dragged myself out of bed, so don't EVEN think about commenting on how crappy I look.

www.mydivadesigns.com/malachai.jpg

I'm sorry, dahlin', but if I walked in there I'm afraid you would have been an innocent victim after I took a shovel to both of you.  

Edit:  

Mr. Policeman:  "Why did you club the girl?"  

tbk1:  "What girl?  I clubbed a snake--a big hairy bastard."

Mr. Policeman:  "There was a girl."

tbk1:  "Tough shit."  

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#32]
The Texas Lyre Snake is also mildly poisonous, Arizona also has a lyre snake.

Texas Lyre Snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus vilkinsoni)

Sonoran Lyre snake (Trimorphodon biscutatus lambda)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top