Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2001 1:52:11 PM EDT
Has anyone seen the M1 Garands in SGN for $388?  They say they come with a new American made reciever and quality military parts.  Anyone know about these rifle rebuilds?
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Diddo....stay away from those 'good deals' on M1 Garands.  Ya know the saying, "If it sounds too good to be true.....it probably isn't."

Find one that's 'original', not the 'new receiver' Garands.  They'll run anywhere from $400-600 (high side, maybe less) for a shooter (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone).  Look at the barrel and if it needs a barrel, look about $75-200 (depending on barrel) to rebarrel it.  The 8 shot 'clips' run about $0.50 to $0.75 each.  These are just "ball park" figuring.  Varies by location and demand, but ya know that.
Link Posted: 2/18/2001 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the Century (CAI) garbage receivers with surplus parts. I made the mistake of buying one of these POSes and when it would shoot without the oprod popping out of the channel, it shot fairly well. However, as most if not all of us here want and demand reliability in our weapons, it was not acceptable and went to the first pawnshop that would take the thing.

Stay away from these paperweights. As others have noted, go to the CMP and get a REAL Garand.
As For the 8-rounds Enblocs--KY Imports had them for $25/100, check them out to see if they still have them.

www.kyimports.com
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 1:43:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, we are starting a CMP affiliation and i'll wait.  My weapons are not toys and reliability is not something i'll compromise on.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, ting [:)]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I consider the Garand the "MuzzleLoader" of Semi-Auto rifles.

Antiquated, but kewl if you are into that sort of thing.

Me?

I'd rather buy 2 $229.00 SAR-2's from AIM Surplus for a bit more.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Come up to Camp Perry this end of July first of August.  Shoot the DCM match and you can bring it home with you.  The Danish imports (they're all American, just stamped with the Danish seal and returned from the WWII lend/lease program) look pretty good.  $450 I think.  Go to www.odcmp.com and check it out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come up to Camp Perry this end of July first of August.  Shoot the DCM match and you can bring it home with you.  The Danish imports (they're all American, just stamped with the Danish seal and returned from the WWII lend/lease program) look pretty good.  $450 I think.  Go to www.odcmp.com and check it out.
View Quote

Tell me more.

Bring "what" home with you?
How much?
MORE MORE MORE!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Short: Don't listen to McUzi. he sniffs to much gun powder. Iam in the process of rebuilding a CMP garand that was not so perfect. The "new" CMP versions will cost you $500 a copy.
 The Garands listed for $399 are Century Arms rebuilds with machined cast receivers that have a habit of breaking, although the ad for SARCO lists them as being 100% reliable. If you want the true scoop about Garands go to Jouster.com and enter the M1 Garand post. Those guys are died in the wool Garand addicts and will help you out a lot. After all is  said and done, the CMP garand that I bought for $400 before they raised the prices is going to cost me close to a Grand. But it will be of the same quality that is projected in the Springfield Match M-14 I have.
I also have my share of AR15's for the likes of McUzi. Easy there lad, just joking!
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Agreed these "new" Garands are a pipe bomb on a stock.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Just for the sake of conversation, what's this about M1 Garands for sale by the govt. in Shotgun News.  Says send $5.00 to Florida...one of the Air Force bases..
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#14]
For your notice, The Esercito Italiano (Italian Army) has dismissed 200.000 Garands from their arsenals. Most of them are in .308 win. (7.62 NATO).
Part of them will be destined for sale in Italy but most of them will be send back to USA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I recently ordered 2 service grades and 2 "A" receivers from the CMP. Should arrive next month. The anticipation is killing me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#16]
How do I post his as a link?

McUzi, Go here.

[http:/www.odcmp.com]
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen one of those Garands with the new cast receiver, and it looked awful. Kinda like
a Polytech M14.  I received my DCM Garand in
Sept. 1995, and it was a Danish version.. It
looked brand new - of course it wasn't. 1942
receiver, Danish barrel. I traded it last year
for a 1957 vintage H&R, just what I wanted!
I see also that someone is advertising M1
receivers from New Zealand.  What gives with those?  John
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If you want a Garand, CMP is the only way to go.
Check out their site http://www.odcmp.com/ for all the particulars. If you're an honorably discharged vet, you don't even have to shoot the matches. If you don't have a CMP affiliated club near you, join the Garand Collector's Association (they have a link on the CMP site) and that suffices. Get as many as you can.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Kaliburz: The $5.00 for the material sent up from McDill AFB in Tampa is all the material you will need to appy for the CMP garand. They list the cost, ggrades, requirements, etc. It is a legit thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#20]
As a connoisseur of the M1 Garand and other fine WW2 weapons I would have to say that the CMP is the only way to go.
I have purchased four rifles and two receivers and have yet to be disappointed. IMHO that is the way to go and it's for a good cause to boot.

The cobbled together CAI rifles are friggen boat anchors and poor ones at that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:57:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#22]
If you don't have a CMP affiliated club near you, join the Garand Collector's Association
View Quote

OMG!  Thanks [b]oldeschool[/b]!

There are only 2 CMP affiliated ranges in my area.  One (Wyoming Antelope Club) has retarded range rules, so I can't/won't join there.  The other (Hernando Sportsman's Club) is a great range, but it would cost like $250 to start up a membership and it's not that close to me.  This organization appears to be ideal to someone like me that cannot find a suitable club, but does have a DD214 to satisfy the marksmanship criteria.

I couldn't find the actual link on CMP's site, but I did find it through searching: [url]http://www.garandcollector.org[/url]

BTW: I'm on the verge of buying an AK-103, and now this!  Decisions decisions.  My wife is gonna kill me because the only obvious solution is to get both [:)]!

[:D] LL [:D]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
The Garand Collectors Association is affiliated with the CMP and only costs $20 a year.

[url]www.garandcollector.org[/url]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#24]
You're quite welcome LightningLinks. The more people who can rescue these fine rifles from a lonely life in a government warehouse (or worse, the crusher if the dems get back in) the better. Don't know if I agree with your decision to get the AK also, get 2 Garands now!
Since CMP raised the limit to 5 a year, once you get the first one, you'll really have some decisions to make. (If you really must get the AK, I understand, but think you'll probably end up selling it to buy another Garand) [:D]
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
So, aside from the mentioned sources, any more?

I ran accross a Garand, boxed w/ a sticker on it (as in serial # sticker on box).  Box was marked Arlington Armory, Virginia.  Came w/ a manual (a sheet of paper) saying it was a govt spec Garand.  It was an older box (cardboard) and a sticker said it sold for 299 or was it 399.  The ink was faded, so I'm figuring it had to be a while back.

So is this Arlington Armory in Virginia a Govt place that was selling back then or a private business that was selling?  Trying to find some history on this......
Link Posted: 2/21/2001 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Arlington is just an importer, they brought in a Shi$ load of M1's in from Korea a few years back. Most were trashed and are improt stamped on barrel either ARLINGTON ORDINANCE or BLUE SKY/ARLINGTON ORD. The blue sky ones usually have crushed barrels where the gorilla stamped it!!! there still better then the POS Century garbage guns because they have GI recievers.
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 12:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Ah.  I'll see if the 'original' barrel that was taken off of it had a markings/stamps. Then again, who ever owned it before the shop I saw it in got it might have changed the barrel.  Is it possile they might have handled any M1 Garands left in the US?
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#28]
M1 is assume, a real joy of weapon to research and to shoot. Arlington Armory is private company I bought one of their Garands 5 years ago and they were very good to deal with, helpful.
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a question regarding the CMP Garands.  Do they have to ship it to a FFL?  Or does it come right to your door?  If it comes to your door, why is that possible?

Thanks,

[?] LL [?]
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 5:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
LightningLink, the CMP guns ship straight to your door.  The paperwork that has to be filled out basically contains the same information as the federal 4473 form and it also has to be notarized.  I've got 3 of the Mossberg M44's on order right now and hope to get at least 1 of the garands this year.  They do require an adult signature when they are delivered.
Link Posted: 2/22/2001 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Yeah, Lightning, not only does the paperwork contain all the info on the federal form, but they will run a NICS check on you before they ship. As to how it is possible to ship directly to you? 'Cause they're affiliated with the guvmint, and they can.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 4:40:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#33]
In my best Cartman voice: "Sweeeet"

Looks like I'll be joining Garand Collectors Association [b][i]reeeeeal[/i][/b] soon [:)]

MUST HAVE GARAND!  CAN'T STOP UNTIL I HAVE GARAND!  How much are kidneys going for these days?

LL
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, Lightninglink, send in that 20 to the GCA. Once you get your first taste, you're done. You'll even start having empathy for crack heads...how much does a kidney go for? Not up on the market price, but suspect that the more beer that's been through them, the less they're worth. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Italian Lend Lease Garands coming in? Great news!
I wonder if they will surplus their BM-59's too. I have wanted both for years.
[sniper}
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top