Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2001 9:41:42 AM EDT
I have been pondering the idea of mental disorders barring the legal ownership of firearms.  In Maryland one cannot buy a firearm if one has been adjudicated mentally incompetent.  Fair enough I guess.  But Maryland law also prohibits one from buying a firearm if they have a mental disorder.  This is broad and vague.

If one is schizophrenic or bi-polar, or is psychotic.  In other words if they have only a tenuous connection to reality, I can certainly agree.

However, a mental disorder could be alot of things.  How about the guy who lost his child in an accident and the doctor prescribes anti-depressants?  How about an individual who has anxiety disorder and gets very anxious from time to time?  How about someone with ADD?

In other words, what the hell is a mental disorder and how minor or major of one does it need to be to warrant nullification of one's Second Amendment Rights?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
However, a mental disorder could be alot of things.  How about the guy who lost his child in an accident and the doctor prescribes anti-depressants?
View Quote

this is the biggest part of the problem here. A death, breakup, layoff can all cause depression in normal people. Anti-depressants are to treat people with depression caused by a chemical imbalance, not from some event. But someone hasn't told the doctors that yet, or the kickbacks from the drugcos are making them forget. A guy who is depressed from losing a child in an accident does not have a mental disorder, but will be diagnosed as such if he talks to anyone about it. fuct up.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
AH, THAT'S THE RUB! Now think of the person that
has sustained serious injury or has chronic
pain and their Dr. prescribes Class II or III
pain killers. Most anyone who experiences severe pain can function under the influence of
painkillers yet the laws of Florida and many
other States prohibit gun ownership if person
is taking these medications. DUI arrests are
another liability.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:52:51 PM EDT
[#3]
People who are convicted of talking on their cell phones while driving should also be barred from owning firearms. And anyone with a gastrointestinal disorder.
DIVIDE AND CONQUER. Let's be reeeasonable.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:09:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought I told you that I only wanted mustard on that William.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]
If you`re a regular on this site, you MAY have a mental disorder..............
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#9]
A mental disorder like paranoia?  As in; if you want to purchase a firearm for self defense, you are probably paranoid, and therefore ineligible?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm - Hadn't thought of that Weiseguy.  An interesting point to be sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top