Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2001 8:33:59 AM EDT
Do you support the passage of a constitutional ammendment that would prohibit the burning or desecration of the American flag?

Link to poll is:
[url]http://news.excite.com/news/poll/[/url]

I voted a big fat YES!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It is quite disturbing that so far 43% voted for allowing of flag burning and 2% aren't sure.

Sad....very sad.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Voted NO!

Don't need anyone telling me how I can demonstrate, can and can't do.  We have a couple hundred years of laws on the books.

How many more freedoms do you want to give up?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#3]
As an afterthought, I don't even own a flag, much less want to burn one.

If this "change" to my freedoms occurs, I will burn flags and burn them till the cows come home (or the JBTs come to arrest me for indecent free speech).
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Slippery slope on this one fellows.  

What are you going to do with all those 4th of july napkins with the flag printed on them?

Yeah, I know, no one would ever prosecute that...not until they wanted to get*you*.

The flag is a symbol, nothing more, nothing less.  Yes, I get teary eyed when they play the star spangled banner, I stop and face the flag as it is being lowered or raised, I would dive in the mud to keep it from tocuhing the ground, but I will never allow a symbol to trump or rights as Americans, no matter the symbol.

Today they ban burning the flag, tommorow what will it be?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you support the passage of a constitutional ammendment that would prohibit the burning or desecration of the American flag?

Yes 55% => 18180 votes

No 43% => 13872 votes

Not sure 2% => 791 votes (why even vote you idiots)
Current vote tally: 32843
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I just added my "no" vote, fat lot of good it will do, this is another "Do it for the children" hot button issues that people get to prove how compassionate and patriotic they are.

Oh well, more freedom lost at the altar of government.

You people who voted Yes won't mind when they pass the law saying that you, are not allowed to talk badly about any politician 60 days before the election, will you?
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:58:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You people who voted Yes won't mind when they pass the law saying that you, are not allowed to talk badly about any politician 60 days before the election, will you?
View Quote

Actually, if I am not mistaken, it was 90 days and it passed the Senate but not the house.  GOA had a lot of alerts on it.

Voted NO
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]You people who voted Yes won't mind when they pass the law saying that you, are not allowed to talk badly about any politician 60 days before the election, will you? [/b]

Nah, that would just be the demonrats.  They have everything to gain from that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
OMG!! When will people learn that the American flag represents the freedom of the people and not the government.
Some people take the though of freedom too seriously to that they think they have to burn the flag that represents it.
You burn it, you burn the freedom!!
Maybe as a Marine and having to salute the flag, I have a bit more respect for it!
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:03:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe as a Jew, one who lost 95% of his family to the likes of people who passed laws making it a crime to burn or disgrace teh Nazi flag I understand that the symbol, while a powerful one does not trump our rights as citizens to express ourselves in any damn fool way we want to.

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
The US flag code specifies that the only proper way to dispose of the flag is by burning.  So now you've agreed that the government can prosecute someone on the basis of what they claim he was thinking when he burned it.  Outstanding.

The fact that 43% of the population have no problem with the idea is just another sign that we've allowed first cousins to marry for far too long now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no desire to burn the flag.  Quite honestly, it makes me sick to see an idiot burn the flag.  But the people who died to uphold the Constitution did so to protect the rights of idiots.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
You got that 100% correct MTNPatriot.

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
EdAvilaSr, If they pass this amendment, the flag you so love and cherish will no longer belong to you.  It will take on the same representation as the SS card and draft cards you mentioned, ie. government property.  Not in any way intended as a flame.

BTW, when is a good date for you, ya know, about the little BBQ you mentioned? [;)]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 9:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
If we need an ammendment to protect the flag then the flag loses all the meaning it had to me in the first place and all the other ammendments and freedom it represents.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:19:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Believe it or not I think Hielo and Celt had very good responses to this ammendment.  Why hasn't anyone commented on Celt's post?  Sure flag burning in protest is stupid, sad, emotional, and PROTECTED!  Sure its not your version of free speech, hell its not my version either, but it could be someone American's however misguided he/she is!  

About the Flag code thing, correct me if I'm wrong but if the flag becomes frayed or touches the ground are we not supposed to burn it in reverance?  What if someone else was given the right (job) to decide if you burned it in reverance or anger?  I'd rather just let the stupid nutcases burn the flag.  Not worth giving Gov't any more power than they already abuse, I mean use, no I really mean abuse!  ;)

Just my .02
Steven L.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#20]
The follow is a post I made in the "Flag Burning" thread from last evening...  ([i]now on page 4[/i])

I firmly stand my ground on this issue!

If a law is passed to make it illegal to burn the flag ([i]IE: The symbol of our freedom[/i]), then we have LOST our "freedom" and rendered the flag meaningless...

At this point, we will have officially become a "Police State", where it is illegal to speak up and voice OUR opinions against our government.

On this day, I will douse the AmeriKan flag in kerosene, hoist it high upon a flagpole, and set it ablaze... From this day forward, the flag will stand for nothing!

[*] This post will more than likely cost me a few friends on this board, but think about the comparrison made in a previous post to the China flag... Our government would be acting in the same manner as that of Red China, and I will protest to the bitter end!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I voted no.

It is similar to legislating morality. As mentioned above, if this were to become reality, then eventually other forms of political speech would be banned. Government is not moderation, nor is it reason.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#22]
A person who has the freedom to do something wrong and doesn't, holds more meaning and value than a person who does not because he has not the freedom to do it. -Erick Meiers 2001
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I love the flag for what it stands for not for what it is. I would be willing to bet that there are alot of flags out there that are not even made in the USA. You want to burn your flag go ahead. You try to burn mine and we got problems. VOTE FREEDOM EVERY TIME!!!!

I voted no.

Like the NRA bumpersticker says VOTE FREEDOM FIRST.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Burning the flag is probably one of the most extreme ways to express abhorrence of the United States.   To make this illegal is clearly “abridging the freedom of speech”.  

I voted no.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Gentlemen,

I noticed that in a recent post, pictures of the "protest" at the United Nations were shown. I also note that your police forces would not permit the burning of the glorious banner of the United Nations.

How very ironic and, I might add, very fitting.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I voted no.

I won't vote to take away a freedom just because I don't like it. That's what Democracies are for.

Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:44:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kofi Annan:
I noticed that in a recent post, pictures of the "protest" at the United Nations were shown. I also note that your police forces would not permit the burning of the glorious banner of the United Nations.
View Quote

I would bet not out of political motivation, although it was NYC. I'm thinking it's more of a violation of statutes that most cities have regarding the burning of any trash within city limits. I bet those cops didn't stop anyone from doing dance on it and wiping their ass with it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2001 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Gentlemen,

Yes, I am sure it was a "violation" of local ordinances. How convenient.

I believe that the person that generated the post stated that the police, when asked why it was allowed to burn a United States flag, were told that it was "different".

Thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top