BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
When I first read this thread, what immediately came to mind was Georgia Precision.  They have their Canned Heat 5.56.  Although I have never shot any and I cant buy any yet either (I'm under 21), for $150 a case and positive reviews from ARF members, I think I would buy from them exclusively...

Georgia Arms, not Georgia Precision - different folks.

(But Georgia Arms does offer a line of ammo called "Precision Plus," so I see how it could be confusing... )

Back on topic:  I would certainly try some of each flavor.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd try it.

If the price was good I'd buy a bunch of  68gr and 77gr+ 556 spec rounds.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
For sure.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Sure, never did get any of the 77 grain Nosler load from the GPSS fiasco.

If I win lotto I'll help you get started.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted "Nah"

I work at Federal... I have a pretty good idea what it takes to make ammo to come in at a price.
Then there is the equipment to consider, Liability insurance ect.

More power to you if you can make it work tho.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds interesting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
You know I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, we need some companies that will make mil. spec  ammo for civis.

What I'd like to see is MK262 MOD 1 spec. and/or 75gr TAP spec 5.56x45 ammo. Sierra has a Match king HPBT for 6.8x43 that might be worth considering, any good 6.8x43 for defence is what I'd really like to see. And 7.62x39 but I'm not sure what bulletts are out the that would be worth making a 125 gr 7.62x39 from.  

Who knows maybe you could get Sierra to make a 125gr .310 Match King HPBT, but it would have to yaw and fragment as opposed to just yawing to get my interest. I would not opt for using .310/.311 hunting SP ammo for defence, those SP hunting bullets are made for a completly different purpose.

I'd also like to see testing results of the ammo, perhaps you might want to consider contacting Dr. Gary Roberts regarding that. If you build it and can show results that it's as good as the afore mentioned, I will buy.

Edited: Cause I'm a tool and can't get name spelling right, thanks Forest.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd also like to see testing results of the ammo, perhaps you might want to consider contacting Dr. Gerry Roberts regarding that. If you build it and can show results that it's as good as the afore mentioned, I will buy.

Note it'd Dr. Gary Roberts (not 'Gerry'), and Brou knows the Doc..
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#9]
You bet, I want quality ammo and I'm tired of having to hunt for it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:56:48 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO it would all come down to price. This is just my opinoin, but it seems that in my PD (we purchase our own carbines and ammuntion following Department guidlines) there are several distinct catagories of buyers:

1) Interested in Price Only: These guys would carry Wolf if not restricted by policy. Have no interest in performance or terminal ballistics. These will not buy any of your ammo, or only a few boxes to try.

2) Interested in M193 or M855 Only: These guys were in the military and want to use what they had there. If you can undercut what Q3131A, XM193, or XM855 is going for you will sell a boatload of ammunition

3) Interested in Premium Ammunition: These are the guys that are waiting to buy MOD1 or 5.56 TAP. You will have to undercut Fulton Armory on price, and have better availability than Cabela's. If you can offer a lower priced practice round which shoots to the same point of aim, for inexpensive practice, and a premium load that is competitive with the Federal Tactical, TAP, or Winchester Ranger line you will corner this segment of the police and civilian markets.

Reading the posts here at ARFCOM I think most of us also fall within the same 3 categories.

IMHO cat#2 would be the bulk of your sales, and cat#3 would be the bulk of your profits.

*Edited for Spelling*
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#11]
If you could make 6.8 SPC ammo, I'd be really impressed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]
If you include M193-spec ammo then I would most certainly be interested in purchasing some.

I'm too cheap to buy the heavy OTM stuff.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you could make 6.8 SPC ammo, I'd be really impressed.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Second yeah, regardless of cost.  I would not be needing thousands of rounds, just a bunch known to be very effective against bipeds, and no re-manufacture please.  I can't imagine the legal hoops though.  
How many bites to make it worth your while?
Matthew
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:55:29 PM EDT
[#15]
definitly
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think CavReconScout hit the nail on the head...I think you need to get with McNett at Double Tap Ammo. He did the same thing you are talking about and he did with great success.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:58:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I would buy a few cases of Nato pressure 5.56 ammo per year.  I would also probably buy at least a case of 7.62 x 39 per year if the round was effective in gel and still penetrated standard urban "cover".  I personally think that Winchester Ranger pistol ammo is sufficient.  

I know these #' s are insignificant, but 1) I don't want to blow sunshine, but 2) I am interested and would buy.  

By the way, Black Hills was approached about this on this board, and insetead of loading hot 75 gr, they loaded Saami 75 with sealing, staked primers, etc.  The Creedmore run.  Oh well...

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
How about a resounding "Hell Yes!" from the Cap'n and his crew.

I'd be in for some...

5.56 bonded bullet*, sealed, staked primers, cannelured
5.56 (NATO pressured) 75 Grain OTM, sealed, staked primers, cannelured
6.8 SPC 110 VMAX, sealed, staked primers, cannelured
6.8 SPC bonded bullet*, sealed, staked primers, cannelured
7.62N 155 AMAX, sealed, staked primers, cannelured

*Regarding bonded bullets... You guys have done the testing so I'd leave the choice to you. My experience is limited solely to the 5.56 TBBC loads, so I'm a little partial to that... But if something works better, I'm all for it!

As to handgun rounds, I'm pretty much dead set with Speer's Gold Dot. If you guys make something better, I'd certainly be interested though.

I'm down to 120 rounds of 5.56 75 grain TAP, and resupply does not seem like its going to happen. Same goes for the 62 grain Federal TBBC... And I really don't feel like breaking into my BH Red Box "reserved" ammo.

Cap'n

ETA: I'd be interested in some 7.62x39 and 5.45x 39 if you guys came up with something that would frag and meet 12" of penetration... And possible the same calibers with a load that would penetrate auto glass and perform similarly to the TBBCs...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:00:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd check your stuff out, that's for sure.  I can't say I would be buying in bulk, aint got the monies to spend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:54:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top