Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
There are also small businesses (try googling "city directory") that gather info, then sell the directory.

But what ticked me off, they implied they were part of the city-govt, or tried to anyway, and tap danced around it when you called them on it, and no matter how I asked, they would not admit they were not part of the city govt.

I wonder how many people just "did as they were told", and filled in the blanks?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If I got that in the mail, my response would be quite simple.

The letter would be a toilet-paper substitute and would be promptly mailed back, postage paid by them of course.

HAZMAT in my house? Well, my wife doesn't cook anymore..............
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
American Rifleman ran an article several years ago.  They had done some tests, and the results were that live ammunition poses NO danger to firefighters.  You might call up and educate the fuckwits about the ammo, and I'd love to hear their excuse as to why they are asking about guns.

While it's true that ammunition in a fire just "cooks off," a .50 cal ammo can full of cartridges in a fire does pose a danger.  Individual rounds aren't dangerous.  A bunch in one place can be.

One of the guys I shoot with stores his ammo and reloading stuff in his detached garage.  He's told the local fire department that if there's ever a fire at his property, try to save the house, but stay out of the garage & just let it burn down.

He's one of those guys with 10k+ rounds of ammo, and multiple 8-lb kegs of powder.  Primers by the case.

"A bunch in one place" is NOT an increased hazard. If you've ever seen ammo in a fire, nothing happens, they all just burn and make popping sounds as they cook off. When an ammo dump burns down (we're talking PALLETS of ammo), it just burns, and there's lots of popping sound. NO detonation.

The cans of powder on the other hand, CAN BE an increased hazard, depending on the cans themselves (If it's just cheap plastic that will melt long before powder ignites, there shouldn't be much of a hazard. If they're heavy (eg, aluminum, zinc) containers, then there's definitely a det. hazard there.

"10k+ rounds of ammo" is nothing at all, if you've ever seen 10,000 rounds in one place.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You got a boat, right?

Tragically, not any more.

You lost your boat in a tragic shooting accident???
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#5]
That's screwed. We would never ask for anything like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was left a form to fill out on the door for "the city directory".  All sorts of personal stuff, how many people lived here, their names, occupations, ages, number of rooms, etc.  I tossed it.  Then a few weeks later I got another in the mail with a note to please fill out and return asap.  

I called the number on the form, asked for their actual address, where were they.  They would not answer, gave misleading, incomplete answers, and kept saying the worked for "the city directory".  And I asked directly, but they would not say whether or not they worked for the city government.  But they insisted it "was required" that I fill out the form completely and return it asap.

Then a week later a person came by the house with a clip board to interview me personally.  Took great offense when I asked for ID (would not show me ID), I asked her which governmental agency she worked for.  She hemmed and hawed around, would not give a straight answer on that, just that she worked for "the city directory".

Told her to take a hike, and if she was not off my property in 30 seconds, I would force her off.  She left mumbling that it "was required" and if I did not give the information I would be "in violation".  

Never heard from them again.

BTW, I checked, there was no "city directory" associated with the city govt.  I have no idea who they were.

The same goes for the damn census.  I absolutely refuse to fill out the census forms and they have to eventually send a "real" person to our house to obtain what little info I will give them.  I have never filled out the long form and never will.  The census bureau can kiss my butt.  And don't tell me the information is to help me and our city get funds from the .gov.  Yeah, right........  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#9]
A 10/22 and a .38 that's all?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Answer them fully. Write 50 or 60 in the guns column, and say that they are everywhere in the house and the car, and one is in each pair of pants worn by a male

For ammunition, write 30 to 40k rounds. Enough for the Endtimes, I think.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#11]
AS a firefighter EMT-P I'd say throw the damn thing in the trash. However it would be nice if you told us where all of your ammo, powder, and anything else of that nature was at so we know how where going to attack the fire. I'd be pissed if the home owner was standing right there not saying a thing and were pushing the fire right into all of your goddies. Hell just tell us what you got and where its at when were pulling up. Its all good. I would'nt fill that form out either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I can see for ammo and reloading stuff for the safety of the firemen.  But guns.   No f'ing way.   I had a lot of neighbors on the fire dept when I lived in Mich and let them know that I did have ammo in my house.  I would feel like shit if I knew I caused the death of fireman.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Does beer fall under Pool chemicals?

Yes, but only after it's passed through my kidneys...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you have a local-issues conservative talk radio host nearby?  They would love this topic.

Also, you might want to forward it to one of your pro-gun state legislators--they may find it useful as an issue.

Then trash it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Got this in the mail today. The county is getting a new 911 system and is changing everyone's address, a pain but whatever. They sent this volunatry questionaire along with it. The thing that got my attention was them wanting to know how many guns and how much ammo you have on hand at any given time for the database they are compiling. It is voluntary so no big deal. I wonder how many people will actually fill it out. I thought about screwin' with 'em and putting 237 guns and 100k rounds of ammo but I think I will just not fill it out at all. Anybody else ever been asked for this in by their county ?

I guess the fire department would like to know if you have ammo in the house but what would they do then if you had a fire ? They might get the info that you have ammo in the house, tape off the block and watch your house burn to the ground from a distance. Who knows I guess if I was a fireman I would want to know about all the potentially hazardous items as well. Funny how they have GUNS as hazardous material, you see their line of thinking anyway.

The other pages ask for all kinds of medical information, next of kin, pets, etc.

Not my info but an example:
911 Dispatch: We have a noise complaint for xxxx Main Street, a Mr. xxxxx, looks like he has 12 guns in the house, 2000 rounds of ammo, takes painkillers for a back injury, and has a Rot named Killer. Please wait for SWAT's arrival j/k

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41031

.......That is one slippery slope.......I spent 10 years in law enforcement and there is NO reason the county needs to know what kind of items/property/guns you have on site. That is backdoor registration/Intell !!!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Ammo does not fall under A hazardous item. I used to work for a large Ammo seller. It doesnt get a hazzard shipping label when you ship it through the mail for a reason.  Think about it, it is not in a chamber, bullet and brass are very close in weight. If it goes off the brass goes one way and bullet the other. More than likely the brass splits at the same time and the forces are even further diluted.

If you ship a case of finger nail polish it is considered ormd and a fire hazzard.

I rember reading a thread on here once before where the fire companies where told not to go into a houses with large stocks of ammo from these same types of surveys so I wouldnt fill it out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The proper Arfcom answer should be either +1 or eleventybillion on both lines.

The PROPER Arfcom answer to the question "Do you own guns and ammo? "is....

I "got both."

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Who exatly is going to have this data? Looks like this list would be a great shoping list for criminals. Look this house has this many guns and ammo. Wait till they are not home and break in.  That is exactly what could happen.

I wouldn't even dare fill that form out. Never know where the data would end up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You got a boat, right?

You lost your boat in a tragic shooting accident???

Guns, Poweder, Primers, Mags, Holsters and Boat all lost at sea.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#20]
move to a free state.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
American Rifleman ran an article several years ago.  They had done some tests, and the results were that live ammunition poses NO danger to firefighters.  You might call up and educate the fuckwits about the ammo, and I'd love to hear their excuse as to why they are asking about guns.

I'm sure they don't care that those items are not hazardous. They are trying to send a message. If you can make people believe they are hazardous, reality doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#22]
You could always put "Varies depending on time of day" or my favorite "I will have to conduct a background check on you before I can tell you".
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Nunya.

When they call and ask what nunya means, thee them it's nunya goddam business.

It's gun registration trying to sneak in the back door.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Take the form to the range, post it on your target mount. Should be .30 cal or better. .45 would be nice and make nice big holes in it.

Pop a nice 10 round group into it and send it back without anything else noted.

Should get the message across. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Making an untruthful response on that card and mailing it back would be mail fraud.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Tell them you dont have enough ammo and that you have been looking for a good deal on the internet
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Eff that.  None of their business.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#28]
tell us you're going to throw it away...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Making an untruthful response on that card and mailing it back would be mail fraud.

No one is selling anything or exchanging money.  How can it be fraud if there's not any transfer of money or property?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one is selling anything or exchanging money.  How can it be fraud if there's not any transfer of money or property?

Exactly.  It was an unsolicited mailing.  He can darn well do whatever he pleases with the form.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Shoot it full of holes then mail it back to them.

I wonder if that consitutes a threat?  I mean if you make a cut with scissors and mail it, is that a threat to stab them??
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yep. Throw that thing in the trash. Or better yet, send it to NRA-ILA or somebody like that. Guns are NOBODY'S business!

I am a firefighter and have had many cases of ammo popping off in fires. Not a problem.

I'm more worried about common household cleaners, solvents and compressed paint cans. Those things do blow up and have scared the shit out of me many, many times.

I could see where reloading supplies could be a problem though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Horse shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Print out and paste one of these in each space

GM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You got a boat, right?

Let me guess, the boat sank in a tragic shooting incident?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#36]
yeah, i'd remind them it was voluntary

Quoted:
Does beer fall under Pool chemicals?

I think I just found a new sigline...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
...Not my info but an example:
911 Dispatch: We have a noise complaint for xxxx Main Street, a Mr. xxxxx, looks like he has 12 guns in the house, 2000 rounds of ammo, takes painkillers for a back injury, and has a Rot named Killer. Please wait for SWAT's arrival j/k

That's EXACTLY what they'll do with the info. And if you list a family, they'll send a 'hostage negotiator', too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Just send it straight to the NRA.  They are obviously doing a good job in your state (Castle doctrine!), so let the pros handle it for you and sit back to watch them ream your county idiots.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:18:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Ammo?  Yeah, that would be good for the FD to know in advance if there's a large quantity on hand.

Guns?  flymeaway.net/images/finger.gif

Not really. I asked my dad this, he's no.2 man in big FD and he said, as has been posted with pics here a while back, as long as the round isn't in the weapon he's not that worried. It wouldn't stop him from having his guys fight the fire. They wouldn't stand on case of ammo or anything like that...
I could understand a questionaire like this without my tin foil hat on but .gov will put it in a computer, and we all know how that goes....second thought, where's my hat?.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#40]

The same goes for the damn census.  I absolutely refuse to fill out the census forms and they have to eventually send a "real" person to our house to obtain what little info I will give them.  I have never filled out the long form and never will.  The census bureau can kiss my butt.  And don't tell me the information is to help me and our city get funds from the .gov.  Yeah, right........  

Yep, when the old lady finally came to my house last time, I told her I was a black man, had 12 kids, and no job, ect. She wouldn't  record it and left, never heard from her again.
Don't need no subsidized housing on my street!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#41]
You should put "See attached pictures" for the guns and ammo...

...then print off and attach those pictures of Taxman...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Tell them to go jump in the fuckin lake.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
You got a boat, right?

I lost all my boats in a tragic firearms accident.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Eff that.  None of their business.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:55:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Toss it and move on.

or

Send it to the NRA.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:58:08 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
You should put "See attached pictures" for the guns and ammo...

...then print off and attach those pictures of Taxman...

And get all your neighbors to do the same!!!

"welcome to AmmoFort, USA!"

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top