Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the key to quitting smoking cigs is to pick a date to quit.  A friend of mine and I picked August 20th (last week) and have both been doing very well 'sticking to it'.  We are both using the Nicorette gum, and so far so good.  The first 3 days were the toughest, you really need to focus on other things and try to concentrate (it's tough just thinking for a few days!!).  Drink water, chew on a tooth pick, whatever!!   Every day that goes by, I tell myself "$4.40 towards ammo/ accesories/ etc."

I had to quit, as I don't want to be defeated by a fucking chemical addiction.  You CAN do it (and you'll feel really good after a few days!!)

best of luck to all on this difficult endeavor--VT
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
and he caves. I had one cigarette.

1 full week without one though. and I haven't bought any more. still have 1 left in my old pack.

sorry everyone, I was weak.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#3]
11 days.

I was in heavy traffic stuck alternatingly behind or next to a chain smoker in a 70something hatchback w/ too many liberal bumperstickers for about an hour today.  

Free Tibet!    More Handjobs, Less Handguns!

Quoted:
and he caves. I had one cigarette.

1 full week without one though. and I haven't bought any more. still have 1 left in my old pack.

It's just one day.  Doesn't mean shit.  Don't have one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#4]
11 days here too. The cravings for a cigarette and bloodshed are diminishing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:52:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I want to never crave a cigarette again.

good luck with that one, its been 19 days for me
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]

C'mon People. It sux but you can do it. Your not weak, your human!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I woke up wanting one, had breakfast and lunch now, still want one.

man this is difficult.

anyone else out there trying to kick the habit?

Ive started an exercise program and diet program... the next step is quitting the smoking.

I dont know how Im going to do it...

Patches are too expensive

- BG
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been quit (again) for about two weeks.  Not too traumatic - I swear I think it is going to stick.  My reasoning in quitting was:

1. It will kill me, and not quickly.
2. I have too much going on to check out early.
3. I want to live to be older than my old man when he died (age 77).
4. I am tired of being a tool for Philip Morris (and me an ex-employee).
5. I am tired of smelling like shit.
6. I am tired of being out of breath.
7. All my friends who still smoke are losers, and I dont want to be one too.

This is kind of the mantra I say every time the idea to smoke pops in my head.  Seems to work.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#10]
if you happen to be following my threads by any chance, you'd happen to know that I'm probably one of the most prolific smokers on this board....however about a month ago I said NO MORE....and sure enough, with enough will-power I beat it....well, kinda; you see, I still bum cigarrettes from friends and other people every once in a great while. But nonetheless I made HUGE progress....I went from two packs a day to two to three cigarrettes per week. I gotta say that that deserves some kind of credit.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey, I just stumbled on this post and I have been contemplating quiting for a while now.
I guess I am going to use you guys as inspiration. I have been smoking for... Damn, 25 years now!!!
That's longer than my girlfriend is old.

Anyway thanks for the inspiration.  I am going to have my last smoke now...

Wish me luck
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

C'mon People. It sux but you can do it. Your not weak, your human!

TY for the support, so far. I've only had a few. still better than where I was.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want to never crave a cigarette again.

good luck with that one, its been 19 days for me

My Grandmother who quit over 25 years ago still sits next to my dad when he smokes, just becuase it smells good.  

I dont think it will ever leave your system.

But here is another thing to look forward to.  When I quit chewing the 3rd or 4th time, I really noticed how some foods tasted ALOT better and how I could actually smell some things I didnt notice or hadn't been able to smell before.  It was wierd.  

Anyone else noticed things like that?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
if you happen to be following my threads by any chance, you'd happen to know that I'm probably one of the most prolific smokers on this board....however about a month ago I said NO MORE....and sure enough, with enough will-power I beat it....well, kinda; you see, I still bum cigarrettes from friends and other people every once in a great while. But nonetheless I made HUGE progress....I went from two packs a day to two to three cigarrettes per week. I gotta say that that deserves some kind of credit.

Awesome job Lockedon!  Now just the last step, right?

I really think the gradual (sp?) method is easier on you and your loved ones.  BUT I seem to get stuck in rut with it and cant ever seem to take that last step.  I went from a can of chew every 2 days to one every week to week and a half.  Hell, I even threw one away the other day becuase it had dried out.  I have not done that in over 16 years!  But for me, its the havin it in my pocket, in my desk drawer, having it in the cup holder of my truck.  I think its a security thing.  I'm gonna try packing around an empty can and see if that works or not  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm trying to stop dipping Kodiak.....no way in hell though
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Well: add another one to the list. I quit the morning of August 26th. My motivation is the fact that Mrs. Evil is now preggers with Little One Number Two.

I'm a big fan of smoking, so it's been rocky. I already backslid once and smoked a little on Monday, but I'm back on the wagon and going strong.  

I agree with those of you who have mentioned how expensive the patches are. Keep in mind though that there's...what...ten packs to a carton? A carton of Marlboro Lights (my old brand) runs well over $30 in my area.

So, if you buy a box of patches that lasts you two weeks (14 patches per box) versus a carton of smokes that lasts you ten days (one pack per day in my case) then you're still coming out ahead financially by using the patch. It only stings if you're the kind that buys your smokes pack-by-pack instead of by the carton: you're not used to shelling out all that money at once for a vice.

That said, I'm using the Safeway brand patches: they're only $18 for a box of 14.

Keep the faith, folks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, my mom qualified for disability last year due to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.

She smoked for over 20 years.

Quality of life? Zero. She has to get a cart to ride around in in Wal-Mart. She has to drive around the parking lot until a handicapped spot opens up close enough to the door ... otherwise, she'll have to stop and try to breathe after a few steps.

Stairs? Forget it. She can't even come up the stairs of my house unless we carry her.

Shopping? Doesn't happen. She has to rely on us for her needs a majority of time.

Movies? No way. Her chronic hacking annoys other people.

Showering? Nope. Too much exertion ... has to rely on me or my sisters.

She's 58 years old, too.

Don't wind up like her. Please. For yourself and your family ... don't let smoking rob you of the quality of life you should have as you get older, retire, and look forward to *living*.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well, my mom qualified for disability last year due to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, asthma, emphysema, and chronic bronchitis.

She smoked for over 20 years.

Quality of life? Zero. She has to get a cart to ride around in in Wal-Mart. She has to drive around the parking lot until a handicapped spot opens up close enough to the door ... otherwise, she'll have to stop and try to breathe after a few steps.

Stairs? Forget it. She can't even come up the stairs of my house unless we carry her.

Shopping? Doesn't happen. She has to rely on us for her needs a majority of time.

Movies? No way. Her chronic hacking annoys other people.

Showering? Nope. Too much exertion ... has to rely on me or my sisters.

She's 58 years old, too.

Don't wind up like her. Please. For yourself and your family ... don't let smoking rob you of the quality of life you should have as you get older, retire, and look forward to *living*.

Wow good post,

I am on day 16 and am really starting to feel good, especially in the mornings. I know I can do it this time. The difference is I swore to my 5 month old daughter that I will do everything in my power to be there for all of her growing up, her getting married, her having her own kids and all the other things I am terrified thinking I could miss if I don't quit.

Nothing has aver been harder though, this is quiting attempt #5 or 6 over the last five years.

You who are quiting, be strong and picture your loved ones faces when you get the urge to smoke or chew.    
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#19]
i quit 31 days ago .

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Strangely how this thread pops up today.  I'm a smoker of about 20 years, 1 pack a day minimum.  I've stopped smoking a few times for as long as 2+ years.  It's always the weak moments that get me, even though I know that once you quit, you can never take even one puff.

Anyway... The reason I find the timing of this thread re-popping up is that I was thinking in survival mode today.  I was seeing cars lined up at the gas stations waiting for one of the few pumps that weren't dry to fill their tanks.  Some of the gas stations has $20 maximums.  Then I saw a line of cars at the drive through pharmacy.  It seems like everyone is in a panic.  We're likely going to see a shortage of gas and medications in the near future, and understandably so.

Now I know this doesn't fall under the same category, but it got me thinking... I better stock up on cigarettes just in case.  Imagine what smokers are going through right now.  If you weren't able to 'loot' them yourself, you'd be screwed big time.  Well, I only bought a carton anywya... which is really about a weeks worth of cigarettes.  I realize though that in the event of an iminent major catastrophe, aside from the usual survival needs such as water, gas, MREs, and lots of ammo, I better stock up on cigs too.  Sad to say though, because I wish I could just quite today.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't do drugs and never will

a little late for that, nicotine and alcohol are drugs
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top