Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Greywolf,
I've driven both the accord 4 and 6 but only the 4 on the camry. Try them both out  but I think you'll find the 6 in unnecessary, give's a bit more performane but you'll burn more gas.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Honda 05 clearance sales going on right now. We just bought a new Accord 2 door
Coupe LX special edition (has EX features) with a sunroof for $2000 off sticker. Got a great trade
in and paid cash for the difference. It's a great car and handles great.  Highly recommend Honda
cars.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't read all the responses but here goes:

My wife and I went through the same thing exaclty one year ago.  I haven't done the research on the newer models, but we ended up going with a close-out 2004 Accord.  The Camry was a close second.  At the time, the cost was about the same for similar options and both had excellent repair records.  The only thing that differentiated them for us was actually driving them.  We liked the Accord just a little better.

Basically I guess my point is that you really can't go wrong. They are very similar cars (price and quality) so drive them, get the one you like better, and you won't ever have to worry about either one.

Enjoy,
Chuck
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The Camry is a pretty numb car.  But it will last forever.  I would opt for the Honda.  Tires, filters and belts are really all you will ever need.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]

I really love manual trannys (K.I.S.S.) but if the Honda/Toyota automatic trannies are reliable, then I suppose I can handle one.

If you can make the leap to an auto, then you can afford premium with a manual!    The lost mileage will be just about equal to the [gas] price differential.  

I am a dedicated automatic man,  but it's not the tranny for a long commute.  Unless you have to launch a boat, or  negotiate some tricky stop-and-go driving in hill country.

If you know how to shift,  the automatic is just lost gas mileage.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I really love manual trannys (K.I.S.S.) but if the Honda/Toyota automatic trannies are reliable, then I suppose I can handle one.

If you can make the leap to an auto, then you can afford premium with a manual!    The lost mileage will be just about equal to the [gas] price differential.  

I am a dedicated automatic man,  but it's not the tranny for a long commute.  Unless you have to launch a boat, or  negotiate some tricky stop-and-go driving in hill country.

If you know how to shift,  the automatic is just lost gas mileage.

The problem is that most 4 door 6 cylinder cars don't come with Manual trannies.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:13:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Camry is a pretty numb car.  But it will last forever.  I would opt for the Honda.  Tires, filters and belts are really all you will ever need.

From what I'm reading, the Honda has a stiffer ride, is nimbler, and seems to be a little more "spirited", but the Camry is quieter, smoother, and "feels" bigger.  

But hell, both cars are such a big upgrade from my 1996 Civic 5 speed with power NOTHING, I'm sure either one will make me feel like I'm driving a Lexus or an Acura.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:20:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, Greywolf, Why don't you and I carpool?  You practically have my exact same commute!  The only difference is you're in FL and I'm up here in PA.
Your thread is interesting to me and my thinking is identical to yours.  I've nixed the Civic (and the other smaller cars) as a possibility for noise and ride quality as I'm getting older and need the "full commuter sanity support package" of decent ride (wheel base) A/C, CD player and reasonably quiet driver's compartment.
I've been fantasizing about hybrids but just can't get over the feeling that they're not quite ready for prime time yet, plus the upfront cost premium and that "Sword of Damacles" problem regarding the battery pack.
Currently I'm driving a 1999 Ford Taurus w/V6 and it has been a good car, although not an excellent one and I think I can do better with either a Honda or Toyota next time.  With 105,000 on the Ford, "next time" is coming up.  Interestingly, the Accord was high on my list the last time, but the Ford got the nod because it came standard with the V6 and there is a dealer in town.  The Honda was a couple thousand more for the V6 and there's no dealer convenient to where I live.  In retrospect, the Honda would have been the better purchase.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:26:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I probably should add that a good friend of mine just bought a brand new Accord; $25,000 out the door, loaded.  From the Auto Mall here in Philly.  Sounds good to me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:44:55 AM EDT
[#11]

The problem is that most 4 door 6 cylinder cars don't come with Manual trannies.

It's screwed that Jesse Jackson can get suitcases of money from Toyota for the Rainbow Push Coalition, but you can't get a stick shift in your brand-new car,  even with gasoline soaring to record high prices.

I always thought it was short sighted for Toyota to offer a 'Sport' package pickup, the faux 4x4 Prerunner, with only an automatic transmission.    What -- They don't care what the customer wants?  Or are they including too many retired schoolteachers in their market surveys?

Why don't you just go with the Corolla?   Or a Hyundai.   You'll save sacks of money in the long run.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the accord.

You won't be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Accord with the automatic has the highest domestic content of any car offered, even beats the big 3. IIRC.Accord has the highest OHIO content anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Well Greywolf if you are restricting your choice to Accord or Camry I'd go with the Honda.  The Camry's claim to fame in my opinion is that it is impressively quiet.  But it is a very boring car overall and I haven't found the reliability to be as stellar as people seem to think.  The other issue may be the dealership itself - I tried to purchase a Toyota truck years ago and after going to 6 different toyota dealerships I realized the only thing I was willing to purchase from a toyota dealerships would be a baseball bat to beat the shithead salespeople with.  Damn what a bunch of slimey fucks.  I ended up buying a Chevy truck instead (the chevy folks were businesslike and no bullshit) because I simply could not bring myself to do business with toyota.  May want to visit some dealerships and see for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]
A few observations from somebody who has worked at a Toyota dealership for almost 12 years:

1.  Between the two, you really can't make a bad decision.  Both are excellent quality and will give you years of easy use.

2.  If you are looking at the 4 cylinder models, remember that the Camry has a timing chain rather than a belt.  That makes for lower cost long term maintenance.

3.  They still make Camrys in Japan.  We don't see them very often, but they do still get imported.  The only way to tell is to check the VIN.  The Jap built ones will start with the letters "JT" while the US ones start "4T".  I honestly don't think there is a difference, but some folks do.

4.  The reason for the derth of manual transmission cars and trucks is two things.  First is demand, but even in vehicles that there is the demand (such as the trucks), there is an issue of emissions.  The manuals don't rate as high because you don't have an engine computer talking to a transmission computer and retarding ignition during shift points.  The more manual transmission cars in a model line-up, the worse the overall line-up rates with the EPA.

5.  The Scion tC has the same engine and transmission as the Camry and weighs about 400 pounds less but gets worse mileage.  This is due to the transmission gearing on the tC.  Its set up for low end torque and it really shows.  The thing screams for the 160 HP it has.

6.  In both the Honda and Toyota lines, the 4 bangers actually do quite well.  They have enough power to get out of their own way and get better mileage.  The mileage difference between the 4 and 6 in the real world is bigger than the window sticker would have you believe.  They are not as fun, but in the age of $3/gallon gas, fun isn't all it used to be.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:37:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well Greywolf if you are restricting your choice to Accord or Camry I'd go with the Honda.  The Camry's claim to fame in my opinion is that it is impressively quiet.  But it is a very boring car overall and I haven't found the reliability to be as stellar as people seem to think.  The other issue may be the dealership itself - I tried to purchase a Toyota truck years ago and after going to 6 different toyota dealerships I realized the only thing I was willing to purchase from a toyota dealerships would be a baseball bat to beat the shithead salespeople with.  Damn what a bunch of slimey fucks.  I ended up buying a Chevy truck instead (the chevy folks were businesslike and no bullshit) because I simply could not bring myself to do business with toyota.  May want to visit some dealerships and see for yourself.

Unfortunately, you are correct about most Toyota and Honda stores.  No matter what car you decide on, I strongly suggest shopping for a good dealer and good salesman before you get too carried away with the price.  Its worth paying a couple extra dollars to not have to deal with the "shitheads" you'll find at a lot of stores.  There are good guys out there.  Look for them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Toyota Camry if going for the long haul.  Honda's are known for the CV joint issues once they get up in miles.

OTOH If your just going to keep it for say 5-7 years...just get the one that floats your boat.  
The are both well made cars.

Edited to add my wife has a 4 cy Camery and the way the engine is mounted in such a way that you could repair/replace most items VERY easy.  I mean the things that normal people would tackle...starter, alt, dist, ect. These things are VERY easy to reach (right on top with no obstructions) and you could even do your own oil change in say 10 mins or less.  The filter is in the front surrounded by nothing!!!
I don't do my own work anymore (unless i'm stranded somewhere) but they make it easy to save $$$.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unfortunately, you are correct about most Toyota and Honda stores.  No matter what car you decide on, I strongly suggest shopping for a good dealer and good salesman before you get too carried away with the price.  Its worth paying a couple extra dollars to not have to deal with the "shitheads" you'll find at a lot of stores.  There are good guys out there.  Look for them.

Yes, I actually was impressed with the Acura dealer where I bought my RSX.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Get both!

Seriously.  I have an Accord, and my sister has a Camry.  Both are great cars.  Mine has a little more power, but hers is roomier.    Just find the best deal you can, and you will be happy with either.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had both, I found the accord to be more comfortable for longer drives, and also more quiet than the camry.  But they are both very good cars, and you won't go wrong with either choice.

PolytechKID
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Greywolf,
I've driven both the accord 4 and 6 but only the 4 on the camry. Try them both out  but I think you'll find the 6 in unnecessary, give's a bit more performane but you'll burn more gas.

We have a V4 camry and it is sluggish as hell. Granted, the ride is exceptionally smooth, but we really have to put the pedal to the metal when merging onto major high ways from small ramps. And from personal experience, nobody is going to slow down for you if you can barely get up to speed on a crowded NJ freeway
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We have a V4 camry and it is sluggish as hell. Granted, the ride is exceptionally smooth, but we really have to put the pedal to the metal when merging onto major high ways from small ramps. And from personal experience, nobody is going to slow down for you if you can barely get up to speed on a crowded NJ freeway

Well, there is your problem.  It sounds like 2 of your cylinders are bent out of shape.  That's the only way you can get a V4 Camry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Without having read beyond the initial post, I would recommend the Accord 6-speed.

240bhp, 212 lb/ft of torque on 89 octane. The worst mileage I have gotten with mine is 25.7 and the best is 31.8. It has PLENTY of get up and go. Triple digits are no sweat at all but the peaky engine will have you rowing the gears to keep it in the powerband. It has loads of standard features such as leather, heated seats, 6 disc in dash, side, front and curtain airbags, security/alarm system, power moonnroof, etc.

Very fun to drive!

The weakest link in this 3300lb car is the substandard brakes. I haven't managed to eat through any rotors yet and I'm at 53k but because my parking brake froze shut, I did have to have the rears turned. When I trash the rotors, I'll be switching to a larger cross-drilled and vented set.

There are a couple pics of mine in this thread in the cars and bikes forum on this board:

accord versus mazda 6
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top