User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[What's so special about 40?
~Dg84

You've been here since 2001 and you don't know that around 40 to 42 pages the thread locks to keep from becoming too large?

guess I never paid that much attention to it...  Plus, how many thread actually make it to 40?

~Dg84
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if the Pegasus or some other battlestar is going to pop up in the new series? In the original, they got a complement of pilots/Vipers that way when Kane took on those two base stars.

Pegasus arrives in episode 9 or 10 of this season. Piloted by Ensign Ro from Star Trek TNG. and no I'm not kidding

Guess that takes care of that personnel shortage.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As for Starbuck, you try acting normal after getting your reproductive organs harvested.

Whaaaa....?

The going speculation is that they took her ovaries. In any case the cylon was being real creepy about how "special" she was because she could bear children, and the next day she has a mysterious incision in her abdomen. I'm suprised she hasn't gotten it checked out, though.

As for the suits, suits look good. We wore them 200 years ago and will likely wear them for another 200.

I didnt see the episode but I heard she and Baltar got it on.

I think she was knocked up with his cylon seed and they took the child.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

guess I never paid that much attention to it...  Plus, how many thread actually make it to 40?

~Dg84

A small percentage to be sure. But to get to 40 pages it has to hang around on pg 1 for quite a while.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Pegasus will show up for a few episodes.  Its supposed to be a new Mercury Class Battlestar  Seeing more Colonial Capital ships would be cool.

This is the best space opera since Babylon 5.  Stargate is a success all its own in the comedy/action scifi category.

I hope NBC doesn't move it.  The show is precisely SO good because its on Scifi Channel.  Scifi NEVER does well on networks because everyone watches those stations and their normal viewing audience will not watch BSG.  Its one of those shows you have to watch from the beginning.  It has an Arc.  It works so well on Scifi Channel because Scifi has a built in audience that will like any good scifi show.  People who like the genre congregate to that channel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
We're still missing Sheba from the original show so maybe they will find some more humans.  Or when Starbuck goes back to rescue her guy they will find Sheba?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BSG is supposed to be what the original failed to be, a space opera.  Not in terms of singing but plot etc.  And frankly it does its job in spades.  They are doing the job so damn good NBC is looking to pick it up and air it on NORMAL television.   When was the last time that a show that was produced on a cable network be picked up to be shown on standard TV that wasn't old syndicated episodes?

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me you're lying about NBC picking it up. Please say that's not true.

Talk about throwing it right down the friggin' crapper.  

Isn't this the network that thought it would be a good idea to rework 'The Office' instead of just broadcasting the already excellent original?

Anything that goes on 'big 3' network television is guaranteed to get fucked up to the point of unrecognizability.

Damn I'm pissed off just thinking about it.

NBC has already aired episodes. NBC and sci-fi are already owned by the same company. some of the episodes I downloaded when aired in britain before aired here have the NBC multicolored peacock logo thing at the end
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe it was co-funded by Britain's SKY network but that's beside the point. There was some reason why it premeired in the UK before it was shown here but you can probably find that on google as well as I can.

But my point isn't whether NBC already owns it or not, my point is that the compromises necessary to actually put it on broadcast television would completely cripple the show to the point of being unwatchable.

Do you watch any of the big 3 networks? I don't because the stuff that gets broadcast on network TV is absolute and utter garbage. Can you stand watching 10 seconds of 'Friends'?!?!

Trust me on this. If you like the series now I guarantee you won't recognize it if it ever gets put on NBC primetime.

Regarding Farscape....

or in case the site prevents hotlinks
www.dragoncon.org/photos04/fans/pages/Fans-444.htm

...here endeth the lesson.  

Observer

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I like that Universal HD does show some BSG.  

Can't wait for season 1 DVD to be out and about.  I love my Sci Fi and hate that I can't fully utilize my dads HDTV and bose 5.1 surround sound.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
So what is the story with the chinese fuck-bots?  Every idiot seems to go pussy crazy fucking a screw-bot, the screw-bot then gets all stupid claiming to be"in love" or pregnant. Then every idiot remaining in ther human race just gives the traitor and the chinese screw-bot a pass.  

Later of course the screw-bot either blows something up or kills Adama once again.  How fucking stupid can the remains of the human race possibly become?  Personally, I am hoping the cylons will kill them all and insure no third season.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
NBC owns SciFi.
Didn't I just post that on the last page.....

Quoted:
NBC has already aired episodes. NBC and sci-fi are already owned by the same company.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You've been here since 2001 and you don't know that around 40 to 42 pages the thread locks to keep from becoming too large?

Look at how many people still put in enough poll options to mess up the polls!

And tag for the new thread.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So what is the story with the chinese fuck-bots?  Every idiot seems to go pussy crazy fucking a screw-bot, the screw-bot then gets all stupid claiming to be"in love" or pregnant. Then every idiot remaining in ther human race just gives the traitor and the chinese screw-bot a pass.  

Later of course the screw-bot either blows something up or kills Adama once again.  How fucking stupid can the remains of the human race possibly become?  Personally, I am hoping the cylons will kill them all and insure no third season.  

Dude are you retarded?  Or just an idiot?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fixed it for you.

Quoted:
And really, do you think an advanced civilization with space flight would still be wearing suits, ties, heels, smoking, use regular pistols, and not have a cure for cancer?

As was posted before, you need to PAY ATTENTION to the show.

My opinion has you watching TV Network Battle of the Stars, it's more your speed.

The use of suits, ties, HUMMVs, WW2 surplus ship phones, conventional weapons, etc. is just one more way of demonstrating that fancy gadgets, gizmos, and gee-wizz special effects are secondary to a good story and details like that are not important.  That simple rule is something that virturally every other science fiction show forgets, and is the primary reason that most other scifi shows are just plain stupid.

"This is a drama, period.  If they bring in any four-eyed monsters, I'm leaving."  - Edward James Almos.

An even better example of this is the feature film version of the Shakespearian play "Titus" starring Anthony Hopkins.

Quoted:
whats with the corners on the paper documents?

The clipped corners is an inside joke with the property masters.  Apparently during the production of the miniseries, the producers were talking to them about the budget and told them to "cut some corners."  The property masters thought it would be funny if they took that literally.   They said that they kind of regret that now because when the show was approved for series production, they realized that they would have to give every document the same treatment from then on and it's kind of a silly PITA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I didn't want to leaf throught the 39 page BSG thread (and did not want spoilers) so I'll ask it here: I was just looking at a sci-fi mag that had an interview with Katee Sackhoff; she mentions her nervousness on doing her first nude scene on this show...

Is this true? How "nude" was it? (I don't have cable, and am waiting to see the first season when it comes out on DVD).

Not nude enough.  All in the shadows kinda stuff.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
As for the hootch,  someone had set up a still.  

I'm just curious as hell what is up with Starbuck, she is really acting strange.   And I think the viper pilots are ok, but damn, the Colonial Marines are way cooler.  

Then again, kind of biased towards the USMC.  

Hell, when I was just a little kid I thought a Marine Biologist was just a biologist who served in the USMC .

What about Apollo.  He was being a total DB in that last episode when Starbuck got back.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]
tag for the 2nd thread!

So far it's going well, I'd like to see marksmanship improve but it's okay.   If they're marines then they should shoot like they've been trained to shoot, not like a bunch of portland cops.

Viper pilots should not be playing commando.    I wish they had some TAC-P kind of guys who would do the stealthy stuff.    Suppressors and belt fed MGs would be cool too for combating the toasters on the ground.    Why did they have friggen pistols????  

Somebody from ARFCOM has to be in vancouver bc, go up there and ADVISE them!!!!

Other than the minor bitches BSG is THE BEST SHOW ON TV.    I have high hopes for Ben Browder on SG1 and even for atlantis, ( the guy from X files is good) but BSG rules.    These and of course mythbusters are pretty much the only TV I care for history channel notwithstanding.  

Need more BSG

Need more Boomer, the asian chick is alot more fun to look at than the black guy that used to be boomer    I did like the old Col Tigh better though, more reserved and less a loose cannon booze hound.   The new Adama is way better than the original though.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:05:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Me an idiot??  I read the end of the 40 page idiotfest.  You believe all history and intelligent thought was lost EXCEPT for some crazy myths about the "arrow of Apollo".  I like the comment, about the lack of "acid free paper" causing all the books to go poof.

Every version of the asian fuck-bot is "in Love" with whatever guy she is screwing.  Maybe they are programmed to be in love and stalk the guy to death,,they are robots.  They all seem to want to kill Adama and nobody seems to care.  I'd shoot that retard pilot and toss him and his screw-bot out the airlock.  That dysfunctional chief could go as well.

Dr. Boltar seems to have lost his vice-president job and is back to fondling his crotch and dreaming about his cylon screw-bot.  This cylon thinks she is squirting out the baby Jesus and creating a new race of half-breeds.      

The basic pilot action in combat is to screw "Yee-Haaaaaa" and shoot at anything.  Never mind coordinated attacks or a fucking plan.

You guys make Trekkies look cool.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:16:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag to follow the 2nd thread...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Every version of the asian fuck-bot is "in Love" with whatever guy she is screwing.  Maybe they are programmed to be in love and stalk the guy to death,,they are robots.  They all seem to want to kill Adama and nobody seems to care.  I'd shoot that retard pilot and toss him and his screw-bot out the airlock.  That dysfunctional chief could go as well.

Dr. Boltar seems to have lost his vice-president job and is back to fondling his crotch and dreaming about his cylon screw-bot.  This cylon thinks she is squirting out the baby Jesus and creating a new race of half-breeds.      

The basic pilot action in combat is to screw "Yee-Haaaaaa" and shoot at anything.  Never mind coordinated attacks or a fucking plan.

You guys make Trekkies look cool.

I guess if all you want to see is sex, that is all you see.

The rest of us see far more...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:14:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I feel like a god.  I have the answer to all "What about..." questions for the entire series.

Ready?  You sure?

[whisper] It's a TV show.  Anything can happen.  Any weapons can do anything and any item can be made, found, invented, etc.  There don't have to be logical explanations for everything.  It's all made up.  Don't tell anyone. [/whisper]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:22:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like the comment, about the lack of "acid free paper" causing all the books to go poof.

What exactly is your problem with my comment? I was referring to the posted comment that all knowledge was reduced to myth. I was comparing that  to OUR society and the electronic medium we have shifted most of our information to. MY comment about the paper was showing that even the paper-based information in our society would largely be lost within a couple of centuries because modern printing that doesn't utilize acid-free paper quickly disintegrates within that time period.Given that, within a few hundred years, OUR society would largely be reduced to myths as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Re: lack of knowledge on human's flight from Kobol

Except for the fact that’s is a lot easier to store the sum of all human knowledge on a disk or CD than it is to make a Library of Alexandria and hope it doesn't burn down.

If they had space flight and thus computers they should know more than myths about their time on Kobol.  That is unless something really goes wrong or they aren’t meant to know...kind of like cylon interference.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Forest says,

I guess if all you want to see is sex, that is all you see.

The rest of us see far more...  

I just fail to see how rational people can keep falling in love with robots.  Then knowing the robots are planning on killing them all, they keep them around or seem uninterested in looking for the spies or ignore their idiot robot fucking friends and give them a pass on treason or dereliction of duty.

After 10,000 years you would think stone markers or skeletons would have been eroded or covered over.  I guess on Cobal nothing ages.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Can I get a current Cylon/humanoid count?

I cant remember exactly what was said as far as how many vs how many are dead.
THe last thread talked about it, but didint make any sense. I though boomer said 8?

CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:45:02 AM EDT
[#27]
There are 12 models and many copies.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where might one find these Battlestar Galactica shows on TV?

Friday night on the sci-fi channel at 10 pm eastern

Replay tonite(22nd) at 11...I missed it Friday.

eta: oops, 11.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just fail to see how rational people can keep falling in love with robots.  

Is love ever rational? Maybe theres some pheremone tweaking going on, playing with humanities emotions at the chemical level.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How can the blonde only be seen by the doctor except when she wants Adama to see her in an earlier episode and then disappears again?

Need better writing and imagination.

Damn has someone not been paying attention.

I absolutely hate television, mainly due to the idiotic shows that are always shown. Since the x-files was cancelled this is the only show I've gotten interested in.

The pilot was excellent and with bittorrent it was awesome watching the whole first season back-to-back with no commercials.  

IMO this is one of the best written and acted scifi television OR movies (can someone say StarWars ) in recent memory. Yeah there are a lot of things that don't make much sense or are outright absurd but it's head and shoulders above anything else out there.

For examply, junk like Farscape was popular with the geek set and it was almost unwatchable for me.

Have you seen Firefly?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is love ever rational? Maybe theres some pheremone tweaking going on, playing with humanities emotions at the chemical level.

I think it's pretty clear to anyone that's actually watched this series so far is that the humanoid Cylons are closer to humans than they are to toasters in a lot of ways.  They performed an autopsy on dead Boomer and apparently did not find the batteries, that should tell you something.  So they are most definitely NOT robots, and they are not "software" IMO any more than a human mind is.  They seem to be artificially created human beings with some extra capabilities.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's pretty clear to anyone that's actually watched this series so far is that the humanoid Cylons are closer to humans than they are to toasters in a lot of ways.  They performed an autopsy on dead Boomer and apparently did not find the batteries, that should tell you something.  So they are most definitely NOT robots, and they are not "software" IMO any more than a human mind is.  They seem to be artificially created human beings with some extra capabilities.

What I dont get is if they can create exact copies of humans already. Why are they trying to go primitive and birth them? Why not just make more the way they already did? Seemed to work well the way they started.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So who do we know are cylons then?
(from the previous thread)
1. Boomer
2. The Airlock Guy
3. The PR Guy
4. 6
5. Black Guy

Alrighty then
CH
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:12:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I dont get is if they can create exact copies of humans already. Why are they trying to go primitive and birth them? Why not just make more the way they already did? Seemed to work well the way they started.

Because God told them to be fruitful and multiply.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Have you seen Firefly?

ByteTheBullet  (-:

My exact thought when I read that post.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
After 10,000 years you would think stone markers or skeletons would have been eroded or covered over.  I guess on Cobal nothing ages.  

I don't recall seeing skeletons, but stone markers most certainly could have lasted that long - they lasted thousands of years on Earth - so why not elsewhere?

As to why no detailed records on Kobol.  I have a theory.

Human race must flee Kobol, they set out in ships (much like the fleet has) and find a new home.  But once they get their they are lacking an infrastructure.  There are no factories to produce micro chips or new battereies.  And you just can't build such facilities out of nothing - you need a certain base of technology to create the high-tech manufacturing plants.  As such when the exisiting tech broke down they abandoned it and had to go simple (say 18th-19th century) and work their way back up to a decent technological level.  By that time the original documents were lost/destroyed save for the 'myths' and 'legends' that were passed down till their Gutenberg came up with a printing press.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My ex-wife was a robot...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Slightly OT:

I've seen the first season at Best Buy. It's the UK version.

1) WTF is different (if anything) in the UK version?

2) Is it worth getting, or should I wait for the rest of the market to get the (US version?) DVD and for prices to drop?

Thanks.

- Z (Who has never seen the pilot or half of Season 1)
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

2) Is it worth getting, or should I wait for the rest of the market to get the (US version?) DVD and for prices to drop?

Thanks.

the UK intro doesnt suck
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:26:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Tagged.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think there's more to it than just a simple religious conviction.  I think that their motivations will soon be revealed.

In all honesty, I've been entertaining the possibility that within the context of the show the gods/Cylon god may actually be some sort of ancestral historical figures, or something of that nature, and that the Cylon god is the last suriving one of them.  Just a WAG.

What would be interesting is if the Cylons got religion before or after the first war.  If they wandered off into deep space and then came back as religious zealots, that might lend some credence to my theory.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Question:  Do the Cylons really believe in God, OR are they playing the 'god card' just as the President did?  They do this knowing full well many humans believe in a supreame being, and given enough 'signs' will believe in the Cylon's diety?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#43]
BTW did anyone else notice the 'black doctor' Cylon onboard the Galactica?  He was passing by Baltar when Baltar was talking to '6' when he was watching the people pass in the hallway.  When he mentioed looking for cylons one person stopped to look at the doc (another Cylon model and they are using some foreshadowing?) and then the 'black doc' cylon (does anyone remember the cylon doc's name?) walked by quickly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Slightly OT:

Thanks.

Wait another month for the US version.  It will apparently have more stuff on the DVD.

I LOVE the show, but I am waiting for the better DVD of season 1
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't know why so many people hate the new Baltar.  

I admit the old one truly rocked, but the new one truly tried to go in a new direction for him.   His interaction with No. 6 is truly fun to watch.  You can obviously tell he is a pawn for her plays.   He really acts out for his best interests and not clamouring for power.

I love that the new Col. Tigh is NOT Adama's lackey/yes man.  I do miss Jolly though, and upset he got waxed in the mini-series/pilot.

Right now, what is love?   I mean, the show, for me, is reinforcing my personal belief 'If you pick and choose who you fall in love with, how can it be love?'.   Moore and Eick have publically stated they do want to try and get people to think about the stories.    Right now their main thing is how can a group of people survive if they are so divided.  (This aspect was explored WELL before the whole brewhaha thats been cropping up in spades now.)

As far as SG and SG Atlantis;    New SG looks ok, but truly think they made the Ouri a bit to powerful and only way to stop them is to get the 'We Don't Interfere' Ancients to help them.

Atlantis - I actually like the Asguard who runs around in Dadelus's engine room.  

But by far me and my mom (64 years old) love BSG the most.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:24:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So who do we know are cylons then?
(from the previous thread)
1. Boomer
2. The Airlock Guy
3. The PR Guy
4. 6
5. Black Guy

Alrighty then
CH

The PR guy I must have missed that episode. Who is that?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just wondering why they cant multiply the way they were already doing. It seems they can create life, they just need to make more. Unless the Human looking Cylons are really just Human clones and thats why they are undetectable in any medical test.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Wait another month for the US version.  It will apparently have more stuff on the DVD.

I LOVE the show, but I am waiting for the better DVD of season 1

Roger that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

the UK intro doesnt suck

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

The PR guy I must have missed that episode. Who is that?

PR guy's from the miniseries. I forgot how he got outed.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top