Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
For home defence I keep a mosberg 500 in the AC closet. It has a white kerchief tied around the barrel. Loaded with 00, slug, 00, 00, and a side saddle with 00. At night when it is placed in the sholder it allows you to see a big gossamer strip in the barrel for aiming. And it only cost 150, so if it gets stolen I wont cry. all my highend stuff is in a safe. But there is a G21 and my cary gun in the pistol safe in my closet. I can get tho those in 20 seconds if I need them. But that short shotgun is my first destination for arms, because it is between our room, and my kids. And yes, the kid cant get in there. Not only is he not tall enough to reach the handle, but the door sticks to the point where it requires an adult to pull it. Pluss the shotgun is not racked. And it is up above his reach in  the closet. Pluss he knows there is a harsh punishment for fiddiling with that closet.

Edit to add that It only takes five steps to get to, and it puts me in a position to cover both entrances. Not a big house.

My Mossy 500 has a side saddle with 6, and, an eagle industires stock shell holder with 6 more.   Ghost ring sights and, an M3 mount on the foregrip.  My wife likes it fine.  I dont' do the stagger load thing.  A HI that can't be stopped by 00 ain't gonna be stopped by a slug.

Good choice of weapon
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I will not own a fighting handgun without night sights on it.

However, I have been trained, as many others have, to use the profile of the rear of the slide in low light conditions to help aim.

The famous Rex Applegate actually carried a 1911 that had the sights removed... Springfield Armory made a commemorative edition a short time ago... with NO sights at all...

And you are were FOOL for not high tailing it to your safe to get an AR if the opportunity was there...

couldn't agree more nationwide, didn't know that about rex
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
In such a situation, if you were reasonably certain he was just drunk, it was not an ambush, etc... you could have some fun with a laser pointer.  That ought to get him away quickly.  If not, and things escalate, get rid of the laser pointer quickly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was awakened by a housemate at 4:00am who was freaked out because she saw a man sitting on our front deck tapping his feet in place(loudly) with a hood over his head. The housemate sleeps upstairs and I sleep dpwnstairs. She came knocking on my door (I always keep it locked) saying there is someone outside. I  immediately grabbed my Sig 228 loaded with 127gr Ranger T's, my Surefire G2, and my glasses. I then ushered my girlfriend and housemate into the downstairs bathroom and had them dial 911. I sat crouched in a field of view that covered both my front door (where he was sitting), the bathroom, and my back patio door. My heart was racing a million miles a second but I tried to remain calm. The roommate sat on the phone with the police and they arrived within 5 minutes or so. I wanted to run to my safe and grab my AR or 11-87 but I did not want to leave the site of my GF.

I learned that my Sig was useless. It has no night sights. And I has trouble seeing without the aid of my G2.  It has been replaced by my G21 with meprolights as my nightstand gun.  I  think I would feel a lot better if my 11-87 was next to me however.

What did I do right or wrong guys? Any tips? My dogs did not bark, they sleep like they are dead at night. I am thinking of buying some motion detection lights tomorrow? What kind are the best?

What did you do wrong?  Too many Tom Clancy-ish technical details in your Creative Writing exercise.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was awakened by a housemate at 4:00am who was freaked out because she saw a man sitting on our front deck tapping his feet in place(loudly) with a hood over his head. The housemate sleeps upstairs and I sleep dpwnstairs. She came knocking on my door (I always keep it locked) saying there is someone outside. I  immediately grabbed my Sig 228 loaded with 127gr Ranger T's, my Surefire G2, and my glasses. I then ushered my girlfriend and housemate into the downstairs bathroom and had them dial 911. I sat crouched in a field of view that covered both my front door (where he was sitting), the bathroom, and my back patio door. My heart was racing a million miles a second but I tried to remain calm. The roommate sat on the phone with the police and they arrived within 5 minutes or so. I wanted to run to my safe and grab my AR or 11-87 but I did not want to leave the site of my GF.

I learned that my Sig was useless. It has no night sights. And I has trouble seeing without the aid of my G2.  It has been replaced by my G21 with meprolights as my nightstand gun.  I  think I would feel a lot better if my 11-87 was next to me however.

What did I do right or wrong guys? Any tips? My dogs did not bark, they sleep like they are dead at night. I am thinking of buying some motion detection lights tomorrow? What kind are the best?

What did you do wrong?  Too many Tom Clancy-ish technical details in your Creative Writing exercise.

A guy sitting there in the dark (sitting ? haha) with a hood on (hood ? hahaha?

The hood was the give away.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]
FWIW ... I wish I was half as thoughtful as who I got the cyalume tip from. Thanks again to Mas Ayoob; The best instructor I ever took a class from. And the kind of man who would be happy to hear the idea got "passed on" to others.  Look for a copy of "The Truth About Self Protection". Some info is dated since 9/11, but we can say that about quite a bit of advice, can't we. I've never read anyone more likely than Ayoob to be willing to try something, work with it, retain what works about it, reject (for himself) what doesn't, and pass on what he learned.  Stay safe
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#8]
It's 4am, this just happened a few minutes ago, there are two women cowering in the bathroom, and you're posting on Arfcom about it?

BTW:  For there to be a home invasion somebody actually has to invade the house.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe it. I think you did well. I would have done the same thing with the addition of trying to ID the suspect or his car. Rather than monitoring both doors, I would keep the BG in sight if possible. If he left, I would have watched where he went.

At 4:00 am on a Sunday morning, he was probably a drunk of some sort. Maybe he was trying to get the courage to try something with your housemate. You should as if she had any interactions with idiots that evening.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#10]
A drunk with a hood?  Probably not.

A burglar with a nervous leg?  Maybe.

I live out in the country so I would have just had to shoot him.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Night sites are good. In the absent of night sights mussel flash work good.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:44:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Slick.....did he have fluid coming out of his ears?

Bomber
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top