User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:47:26 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, I found an Opossum rummaging through my trash one day and drew down on him and shot him!    the neighbors just shook their heads and went back to washing their cars and mowing their lawns ....

Shame on you, they're actually not bad with a lot of BBQ sause.

TN isn't far away ... I'm sure the next one will keep in a UPS overnight box ...
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually, I found an Opossum rummaging through my trash one day and drew down on him and shot him!    the neighbors just shook their heads and went back to washing their cars and mowing their lawns ....

TN isn't far away ... I'm sure the next one will keep in a UPS overnight box ...

Dry ice. Just to be on the safe side.  Gone over 'possum make you sick
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Here in RI, garbage is he property of the State and it's illegal to take from someone's garbage. But to answer your question, No.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I appreciate it but no thanks.  We have more than our share here and it just isn't the same unless you shoot it yourself.

Yup, I agree, nothing like knawing on your own bullet fragments ....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
haha! ok, i get it now - i read that thread, or a variation of it a while back.
Matt

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah....point a gun at someone for looking thru your garbage.  That's a great idea.

+1

Now could you 'splain it to these guys?

Oh, I get the whole 'draw down' humor, I just don't happen to believe he was kidding.  I think he was pissed because someone less fortunate than he was going thru his garbage looking for cans to recycle.  Note the after his statement.  I think after receiving some ridicule, he tried to play it off as vieled cynicism.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
haha! ok, i get it now - i read that thread, or a variation of it a while back.
Matt

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yeah....point a gun at someone for looking thru your garbage.  That's a great idea.

+1

Now could you 'splain it to these guys?

Oh, I get the whole 'draw down' humor, I just don't happen to believe he was kidding.  I think he was pissed because someone less fortunate than he was going thru his garbage looking for cans to recycle.  Note the after his statement.  I think after receiving some ridicule, he tried to play it off as vieled cynicism.

Yes, i think he was pissed about the person rummaging through his trash.... but was kidding about the draw-down part ....

I would be also, you dont go through people's trash in front of their house. You act like he shouldnt have a problem with that. hey, am I supposed to let them sleep on my doorstep also? I think not .....

I am compassionate to someone that is "less fourtunate" but that doesnt mean i have let them do whatever they want. If they want cans, they can ask. heck, I would leave a special bag of cans out  every week if they asked! but i dont want people rummaging through my trash.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here in RI, garbage is he property of the State and it's illegal to take from someone's garbage. But to answer your question, No.

In my area of the PRK it is the same. We have caught several ah, people from the south going through our recycle cans picking out cans and bottles. Normally I could care less but the county recycles this stuff and collects the money for their general fund. As a result they get a bit upset at folks that take "their" trash. I just make sure the paper is on the bottom of the can and put the cans and bottles on top. Makes their visit shorter at least.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I did just that.  One morning I was woken up by some crackhead digging through my garbage, except he wasn't collecting cans.  He was only pulling papers out and putting them in a file folder in his other hand when I came out of the house with an L-Frame Smith pointed in his direction.  He saw me, dropped the folder in the street and ran off faster than I could catch him.  In the folder were utility bills, bank statements, and credit card receipts from a dozen neighbors up the street.  That's when I was glad I had a shredder.  And he never came back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I did just that.  One morning I was woken up by some crackhead digging through my garbage, except he wasn't collecting cans.  He was only pulling papers out and putting them in a file folder in his other hand when I came out of the house with an L-Frame Smith pointed in his direction.  He saw me, dropped the folder in the street and ran off faster than I could catch him.  In the folder were utility bills, bank statements, and credit card receipts from a dozen neighbors up the street.  That's when I was glad I had a shredder.  And he never came back.

The use or threatened use of deadly force is still not a very good or smart response, even in your case.  Are you really man enough to kill a guy for taking your utility bills?  

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be prepared for surprises when you go out to check on the bump in the night.  Take a firearm with you?  Sure.  Have it out, cheeked, for example?  Sure.  Draw down on a guy rummaging thru what you discarded?  Why?  So you can run directly to your keyboard and solicit the opinion of the hive mind?  

Settle down a bit a come join the rest of us back here in reality.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JEEZ!  You guys are HARSH! lol

I collect my cans for the month (Diet-Pepsi and Busch beer) in a big plastic bag and once a month stick it in my trunk (The bag) to give to some old alky I see on my way to work.

No shit.
We do the same thing except we give them some old black man that come by the shop.
We figure it is easier to seperate them and bag them up, than to let some guy dig through our dumpster.

DUDE

Why you be hatin on a brotha

You gonna chop up a brotha and feed him to a bum...DAMN

Cracka!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of you guys need to stop taking the original poster so seriously. It was a joke.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The use or threatened use of deadly force is still not a very good or smart response, even in your case.  Are you really man enough to kill a guy for taking your utility bills?

Of course not, that would be stupid.  Why you would even think something like that is beyond me.   I never fired at him, merely showed him the pistol.  He was clearly a criminal looking for financial and personal information to commit credit card fraud and indentity theft.  When I confront a perp like that I am armed and showing it.  The gun is there in case he attacks me.  Simple as that.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be prepared for surprises when you go out to check on the bump in the night.  Take a firearm with you?  Sure.  Have it out, cheeked, for example?  Sure.  Draw down on a guy rummaging thru what you discarded?  Why?  So you can run directly to your keyboard and solicit the opinion of the hive mind?  

Settle down a bit a come join the rest of us back here in reality.

I do live in reality.  You, OTOH, obviously have no personal experience with deadly force engagements.  This guy was a criminal and I was protecting myself on my own property.  He turned and ran, and I had to let him go.  You can't shoot someone fleeing in the back.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:21:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright, Just how the hell is a guy rummaging through your garbage for cans hurting you if they aren't leaving a the garbage strewn all through your yard?

Yeah, Bodie, that 's worth a "brandishing" charge!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Alright, Just how the hell is a guy rummaging through your garbage for cans hurting you if they aren't leaving a the garbage strewn all through your yard?

Yeah, Bodie, that 's worth a "brandishing" charge!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes!  Thou shalt always draw down when you get the chance.  Then post pics of your girl  

Just make sure you keep your dog on a leash when the JBTs show up, just incase SHTF.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think technically if it's in the garbage can on the street, it's no longer yours.  Wasn't there some court cases about this with famous celebrities?

There are several cases that deal specifically with this, and in essesnce, it is considered abandoned property, even within the "curtilage", hence anyone can rummage through it, including the PO-lice.  We call it a 'trash pull' and we generally just get on the back of the garbage tuck and roll-up that way.

However, a private citizen doing such while within the curtilage, i.e. your private property, is trespassing and must vacate once instructed to do so by the owner or the owner's agent.

Link:

No Reasonable Expectation of Privacy in Publicly Accesible Trash - California vs Greenwood

Commonwealth of Virginia vs. Bryant

North Carolina vs. Hauser

United States vs. Redmon

Privacy of Garbage - Scroll down to Section 6
Privacy of Garbage

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm...can't edit above.

General definition of curtilage:

“The curtilage concept originated at common law to extend to the area immediately surrounding a dwelling house the same protection under the law of burglary as was afforded the house itself.” United States v. Dunn, 480 U.S. 294, 300, 94 L. Ed. 2d 326, 334 (1987). “[T]he curtilage is the area to which extends the intimate activity associated with the 'sanctity of a man's home and the privacies of life,' and therefore has been considered part of the home itself for Fourth Amendment purposes.” Oliver v. United States, 466 U.S. 170, 180, 80 L. Ed. 2d 214, 225 (1984) (citation omitted). In North Carolina, “curtilage of the home will ordinarily be construed to include at least the yard around the dwelling house as well as the area occupied by barns, cribs, and other outbuildings.” State v. Frizzelle, 243 N.C. 49, 51, 89 S.E.2d 725, 726 (1955).

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just caught someone rumaging through my garbage can. The person was going through it to find cans to recycle.

Would you have drawn down??? Called the cops???

I can't afford an aimpoint on my regular pay.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:35:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top