Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i had mine done bout  4 years go..

here's what they did..

they deaden your eyes, then brace then open with a thing like from clockwork orange then put a metal thing on your eye.. and you cant see then they put a saw on the metal thing and it runs a track and cuts a u. they pull the flap then they lazer. first one eye then the other.

i am a baby.. doc gave me a script for some half-az pain meds.. i told the doc.. no way give me hydrocodone (vicodin .. one of rush's favs (used to be a pharmacist.. no more about drugs than most docs)).. no real pain .. but a lot of irratation. i had to go back for a touch up after some number of weeks. between that time i had glasses made to correct the correction. i used to wear coke bottles. now i can see perferct in one eye and need very slight correction for the other.. for me it was worth it but if i had known the procedure i would perhaps have bailed.. i asked the doc should i get some valiums or whatever. he said no... but that or some quaaludes (cant get them anymore ....... perhaps a 6 pack of malt liquor would have sufficed) would have helped me through the session..

for me it was great. i like to ski. and do stuff in the rain. my glasses always fogged or got wet and were thick...

the procedure has improved since the when i had it done. your taking a chance.. sure but for most people it is worth it...

IIRC, it's much more 'correct' nowadays with new eye-mapping technology.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
2+ weeks post surgery UPDATE

My left eye is 20/15 and my right is 20/20 with the slightest astigmatism.  Doc says it is not worth a second go-round to correct the astigmatism.

I can tell the difference between the two eyes, but I see better now then I did with any pair of glasses I used to own.  No pair of glasses were able to totally correct the astigmatisms, so I'm pretty happy.

The side effect I've noticed the most is a little dry eye, and by 9PM my eyes feel sleepy.  Also, the flicker in flourescent lights bother my eyes (can't think of any better description then bother - not hurt - just make me want to close them).  I find that lightly tinted sun glasses in my office make the problem go away.  Doc said that should go away within the month.

Range report is forthcoming.  I did however shoot the Daisy Red Rider at Necco wafers in the back yard.  I CAN SEE A NECCO WAFER AT 11 YARDS!!!! WOOT!  Even more cool: I can see a BB traveling too a Necco wafer at 11 yards.  I never realized how erratic the flight of a BB really is??
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Tacberry,  get some artificial tears from Rite Aide and increase the amount of water you drink, that has helped me quite a bit.  Make sure they do not have any preservative in them, that has helped me greatly.  I had my 4 year follow up, don't need reading glasses, but the eye doc told me "by next year your arms ain't gonna be long enough"!  I am still 20/12 both eyes, went from 20/400!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tacberry,  get some artificial tears from Rite Aide and increase the amount of water you drink, that has helped me quite a bit.  Make sure they do not have any preservative in them, that has helped me greatly.  I had my 4 year follow up, don't need reading glasses, but the eye doc told me "by next year your arms ain't gonna be long enough"!  I am still 20/12 both eyes, went from 20/400!!!!

Couldn't get by without the Refresh Plus preservative free eye drops.  I love these things.  I've always been prone to dry eye, so these individual tubes are a God send.  If I knew about them before the surgery I would have been a life time customer.  Great product for anyone who spends all night surfing ARFCOM.

I was told about the future need for reading glasses.  Doesn't bug me a bit.  I don't need them for driving/walking.  You look destinguished with reading glasses!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#5]
LASIK = bad for eye integrity, but sometimes the only option, if you want surgery
PRK = best, but won't correct all problems - eye's integrity is much better (LASIK NEVER heals!)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I got LASIK 2 years ago.  My vision is 20/15.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet.  I got PRK a couple of months ago.  I started out at like 20/200 [before surgery], now I'm 20/20 almost 20/15 sometimes.  The recovery was a bitch though.  And it didn't cost me more than a few tanks of gas for the commute.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sweet.  I got PRK a couple of months ago.  I started out at like 20/200, now I'm 20/20 almost 20/15 sometimes.  The recovery was a bitch though.  And it didn't cost me more than a few tanks of gas for the commute.

Damn, mine only cost $3,600.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't go through with it! I just read about a new technique that is going to be approved soon  that uses a more powerful laser that can directly correct the eye without having to cut a flap. This method is supposed to give significantly sharper vision and it won't mess with your night vision.

I'd like to hear more about this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweet.  I got PRK a couple of months ago.  I started out at like 20/200, now I'm 20/20 almost 20/15 sometimes.  The recovery was a bitch though.  And it didn't cost me more than a few tanks of gas for the commute.

Damn, mine only cost $3,600.

True, even though it was back before the current price gouging, it was still pricey.  More like $150.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top