Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the way back, the crazyass dipped the right wing hard just before we touched.
I hate flying.

It's what you do when you get hit by a cross wind gust during the flare.  95% of what scares non-pilots is normal.

Yea, the crazyass pilot, with tens of thousands of hours doing a SINGLE task is trying to kill you. Never mind that we like to live, and have families to come home to as well as you. Just sit back and let the professionals handle it.

He's aparently never flown with (or as) a student pilot.  That's some scary shit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
On the way back, the crazyass dipped the right wing hard just before we touched.
I hate flying.

It's what you do when you get hit by a cross wind gust during the flare.  95% of what scares non-pilots is normal.

Yea, the crazyass pilot, with tens of thousands of hours doing a SINGLE task is trying to kill you. Never mind that we like to live, and have families to come home to as well as you. Just sit back and let the professionals handle it.

He's aparently never flown with (or as) a student pilot.  That's some scary shit.

I know. I do it for a living. Its a good way to raise the blood pressure.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You do have to use the autoland feature a certain amount of times in a time period for it to remain current. The autoland will not grease the airplane in. Most airliners (well, boeing aricraft) are landed manually. You are never really flying a fly-by-wire Airbus. Autoland can be used in Cat III c approaches when there is basically ZERO visibility vertically or horizontally. Not many airports in the US are equipped for this, but TONS of them in Europe are.

From my knowledge, all airliners are flown the same, but only really differ per airline policy.  If the carrier requires ILS approach to be flown to a certain point on AP, they fly it on AP to that point and disconnect autopilot for the remaining distance.  In some cases that might only be a few hundred feet.  As I mentioned earlier, it all depends on the company policy and pilot discretion.  In good weather with good visibility, most do fly a great part of approach and final manually, but maybe still using A/T.

Also, a lot of Boeing aircraft have CWS, and even though most Boeing pilots don't like using it, it does basically the same thing as Airbus when Airbus is off AP and being flown manually.

Some companies don't allow certain features to even be installed on their aircraft, like Southwest.  Only autobrake they have is for RTO.  They don't have autothrottle (A/T) or CWS installed.  Saves them money on new aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Coming back from Germany, the Lufthansa 747 we were on hit so hard, about half of the oxygen
masks dropped, a bunch of the overhead compartment doors popped, with people's shit flying
around. A couple of ladies started screaming, "We're going to die......."

Gets all quiet as we taxi towards the terminal and the captain comes on, "Sorry for the slight disturbance
on landing, folks....." (Slight?!)

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coming back from Germany, the Lufthansa 747 we were on hit so hard, about half of the oxygen
masks dropped, a bunch of the overhead compartment doors popped, with people's shit flying

Gets all quiet as we taxi towards the terminal and the captain comes on, "Sorry for the slight disturbance

Obviously they have never flown with me...  I always liked to see how many walk-around bottles I knocked down...

Oh, don't forget - on those big jets the pilots are about 30 to 40 feet in the air at the time of touchdown...  It can be pretty tough...  And some days you are better than others!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, compared to that MD-80 landing video, he did pretty good.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]

A couple of ladies started screaming, "We're going to die......."

That's what my wife says when I do a zero-G pushover or accelerated stall........
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's what my wife says when I do a zero-G pushover or accelerated stall........

I usually get, "Stop- Im going to puke!"

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My favorite are the people that think you are going to plummet to earth like a rock when you pull the power back.  Or my Mom, who FREAKED OUT when she saw traffic wayyyy out there over Toledo one day.  She should fly to KAPA with me sometime - she'd need to be institutionalized after a busy day in the Denver Class B.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My favorite are the people that think you are going to plummet to earth like a rock when you pull the power back.  Or my Mom, who FREAKED OUT when she saw traffic wayyyy out there over Toledo one day.  She should fly to KAPA with me sometime - she'd need to be institutionalized after a busy day in the Denver Class B.

Naa, the best was the first time I spun the 172 with my brother in it. I just said, hold on, this will be fun. He started laughing so hard I think he wet his pants. There is just something awesome about being inverted
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
#2 below...

After every flight, Qantas Airline pilots fill out a form, called a gripe sheet; which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems; doBLEEPent their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor.

Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Qantas' pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers.

Here is an actual worn out hoax would be more accurate.  Sheesh.    Snopes
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Any pics of the lady sitting next to you?

Easily best and most intelligent question asked today on ARFCOM.  

vmax84
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any pics of the lady sitting next to you?

Easily best and most intelligent question asked today on ARFCOM.  

vmax84

No such luck..remember I struck up a conversation between the landing and getting off the plane...besides. I'm married..talking was about as far as it was going to go.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Naa, the best was the first time I spun the 172 with my brother in it. I just said, hold on, this will be fun. He started laughing so hard I think he wet his pants. There is just something awesome about being inverted

Damn,I was treated to that too! Just before I left Dallas,we flew out of Grand Prarie,spinning and stalling,loved every minute of it! Afterwards,got cooked a damned good spaghetti dinner and beer. Doesn't get much better than that!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Depends on the ratings of the pilots and the limitations of the aircraft. A plane can be CAT III cert and auto land able (simply) but if the crew aint, they aint doing it.

Cat III is simply flying an ILS approach in certain weather minimums. The minimums are 1200' RVR (runway visability range) and 100' DH (decision height). The pilot lands the plane, not the autopilot. If the pilot can't see the 1000' runway markings when he breaks thru the clouds at 100' min, then he applies power and aborts the approach.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
#2 below...

After every flight, Qantas Airline pilots fill out a form, called a gripe sheet; which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems; doBLEEPent their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.

Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor.

Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Qantas' pilots (marked with a P) and the solutions recorded (marked with an S) by maintenance engineers.

Here is an actual worn out hoax would be more accurate.  Sheesh.    Snopes

You're still here?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you guys go into a nuclear power plant and say, "This doensn't look right?" or when a rocket launches say something like, "Did you here that noise?"

For now on when there is an aiplane thread, place your flight time at the end.

12,000+
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Do you guys go into a nuclear power plant and say, "This doensn't look right?" or when a rocket launches say something like, "Did you here that noise?"

12,000+

Does time flying as a duty crew chief count?

If not, 45 and change.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
On my very first flight on a comercial airlinein 1975, I was flying into Rochester, NY on a 737 on US Air.  We were landing on the east/west runway which in the shorter fo the two rinways there.  Pilot came in too fast and got caught in the ground effect.  He was using up runway pretty fast and I was beginning to wonder if he was going to abort the landing ad try again.  He simply reversed thrust while in the air and dropped the plan the final 15 or twent feet onto the runway.  

All the china (remember when airlines served real food on real china) in the galley went crashing all over the place and he finally stopped the plane right at the end of the runway.  As he turned the plane around, the wings went over the last set of lights.  I turned to the guy next to me to comment on the landing and he said:  "Happens all the time".  

A year later, another plane landing on that runway overshot and slid off the end.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

12,000+

700's
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top