Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wanted to bail out of CA and Oregon seemed like a good place to be.  Been here a year, dont know anyone except the neighbors.

I dont know what I am doing here.  

Then go back to CA

We have enough of you guys here already!!!!!!!

Last time I checked I was in The United States of America.  I will live where ever the hell I want.  I dont need someone to tell me where to go.  Sod off!

psst.....it was a joke.  Welcome to Oregon.  Oregon is probably the most diverse state in the union.  Something to offer everyone, rich in culture and history and beauty.  

Patty
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Born here.

Went to school here.

Family is here.

The right  jobs are here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm...let's see:  Why DO we live here:

1.  High pay

2.  Low taxes

3.  Cheap real estate (or at least it was when we moved here!)

4.  GREAT gun laws

5.  Great neighbors

6.  Lots of good ranges for us to play on

7.  Four good seasons

8.  Good public school system

9.  Many military installations (I'm retired military and save money by shopping there.)

10.  Lots of fellow conservatives rather than the toons that populate the high density 'burbs and cities where we used to live in Kalifornistan.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Living here eliminates a lot of things I don't care to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Thats the gist of it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Because for what I do it's either OR, WA, ID, or CA. CA is definitely off the list for a number of reasons. WA is too crowded up by Mt. Vernon. ID would be ok, I wouldn't mind going back sometime.

Where I'm at in central OR is close enough to southern ID and the Willamette Valley to drive to both for work. Climate is better for Mrs. NMSight's allergies; and we are close enough to relatives in western OR to visit on a weekend.

NMSight
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Dad passed away in Feb 1998.  Mom started going downhill very shortly after that.

I left a business in MS. that I had with some friends to come back and watch over her and take care of things.  When she passed away in Nov 1998 I expected to spend some time tying up the loose ends and then getting on with my life.

Fate had a different idea and 7 years later I'm still here.  

Escrow will close by the end of the month on the house and I'll be free and clear to do whatever comes next in my life.

Out of my (almost) 49 years on this rock, most of that has been spent here in San Diego.  Not by choice but because that's where dad decided to retire in the late 60's.

Unless another "fork in the road of life" appears, next place I'll call home will be ID, MT or WY.  Scouting will begin next month.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I live in Colorado because I love it here. Moved here in1982 from Michigan and have never looked back. I have been in 49 of 50 states(missed Alaska but will get there soon) and can't find a better place to be than where I am now. I do miss the water, but I have a boat and tow it all over Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska and Montana to get my fishing fixes. Great people here.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I lived over a thousand mile from my family for 12 yrs. All the family problems are just taking the bad with the good. I only saw my parents every 3 to 5 yrs, & phone calls aren't the same.  I moved my family here so my son could know his grand parents, cousins, aunts, uncles, etc,etc, & so I could enjoy my adulthood yrs with my parents.

I have been in Texas for 3 yrs now, & I have lost my wife bit found my life once more.

My plan is to save money to buy a few more rental house, & have 5 to 8. Then I will hire my nephew to do maintneance on them. I will take my son & move to Alaska from late spring to middle of fall, & then back to Texas for the rest of the yr. I will be able to see my family & enjoy the best of both worlds.

I'm sure I can do it, & in fact look very much forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of job security here for me.  That's about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmm...

Woudln't live back in NYC if you paid me...

Couldn't give two shits about WI...

Loved Arizona... might move back some day...

Moved to the D/FW area because I've got a good decent paying  job that let me transfer here
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Good place to raise little  kids .
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Moved to Colorado in 1984. Came from Kansas, doubt if I'll ever move back. Colorado is a great place to live if you can find a good job and afford the real estate.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
company transferred me, love the job and the paycheck, and I'm in the south, love it
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Grew up around here
Feel safe around here
Job keeps me here (for the time being)

I love Texas.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Born here, family is here, etc.

Plus, I married into a big plot of land, and I have my own shooting range. That pretty much seals it, unless Ohio adopts any more shitty gun control laws.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:14:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
img295.echo.cx/img295/3149/imag00011sq.jpg

Thats the gist of it.

I'm convinced. Where was that picture taken? Would love to visit that area.

Compare that to Wichita Falls, Tx. Hot, dry, windy and blowing dust and sand. Everything covered with a layer of dirt, never can keep it out of the house. Summers blistering hot and the only green is for a couple of days after the ocasional showers.  a blistered fullclip
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:27:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It doesnt snow.

OK...THAT HURT.....

I love living here. I am close enough to Boston and Providence to enjoy those cities without living in the muck (I like my little 'burb).
I DO hate the 100 feet of frikkin snow we get every year and the 300.00/month heating bills (God help us THIS winter) But New England is a great place to live: rich in history, lots to do/explore, 3 seasons (Fall, WINTER, Summer---Spring bailed back in the 70's) and all that coastline.
Yah...It's home
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Because it's close to work, there's no state income tax, no gun registration, the local economy is in pretty good shape and there's no snow.

No state income tax wow how cool is that.They tax everything here...everything
I would like to get out of here been here all my life I think I like what VA has to offer but its really expensive to me as far as first time buyer trying to buy a home for what they pay for their "home" I could live like a king then I thought about good ol' Texas but they have the death penalty and though I am all for it  I would perfer not to get myself killed by the state should I happen to slip a time or two in life. then there is Tenessee[spelling] I think homes can be bought for a good price with lots of land (5+acres) but im just really not happy with where I currently am This is a good state but it's more of a retirement state and for me that's 40+years off I need fun,excitment,good high paying job with dirt cheap housing and plenty of shooting land and no dumb gun laws but here is boring,low to middle class paying work with subdivision homes now in the $220's who the hell can afford
$1000-2000 a month mortgage??? not me

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the same problem as you Fullclip although I am farther away from retirement.

Would like to return to Nashville but its changed so much and is very overrun with mexicans and northerners.  Thats where most of my family is, like the city, have friends there, no state tax., etc....but by the time I can return..most of my immediate family will be gone probably.

Otherwise, I might like to relocate to LA (lower alabama) or Florida area and Mississippi is always a good bet too.

Essayons
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:17:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I’m from Lake Charles Louisiana; Maryland was my first duty station in the Air Force. I stayed here because there are more jobs for the work I do.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally moved here (metro DC) after college to work for congress.

Moved back when my wfe started law school in DC

I like NoVa now that we have enough money for a house in a good neighbohood. (no small feat here)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I chose to live where I do because there are absolutely no mountains, no wide open hospitable places within an easy drive, I absolutely love transplanted New Yorkers who have mastered the art of rudeness, huge liberal population, no noticable changes in the seasons, fresh water bodies that are usually unswimmable due to unfriendly reptile populations and very very inconvenient rifle shooting areas.

Who needs mountains, wide open spaces, 4 seasons and friendly people?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wanted to bail out of CA and Oregon seemed like a good place to be.  Been here a year, dont know anyone except the neighbors.

I dont know what I am doing here.  

Then go back to CA

We have enough of you guys here already!!!!!!!

Last time I checked I was in The United States of America.  I will live where ever the hell I want.  I dont need someone to tell me where to go.  Sod off!

Lighten up Echo.  Cape's just bustin' your balls a little.

Where are you at in Oregon?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I go where the work is.  Right now it's Oregon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Like Fullclip, my wife & I are on the edge of a life change. Both sons will be in college in a month.

We settled here near Saginaw Bay USA because it was/is a really good place to raise kids & it was just far enough away from family....60 miles.  My job brought us here & a good paying job for my wife came along so we will be able to retire at a young age...5-6yrs.  This is the part of Michigan were people come for recreation & I get to live here all year 'round.

The downstate mentality is encroaching around here. Cheap land and low taxes are a thing of the past but soon some schmuck will be paying me 10 times what I've got into the homestead.  By then we'll be ready to find another place to be.  

North Dakota is pretty attractive
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Family has been here for generations.Was a good place,close to mountains,ocean,etclots of history,BUT too many A-holes from everywhere else moved here,and all want to do it the way the did it back home.Well,GO THE F*** HOME!

Looking at going,but don't know where to go......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:58:18 AM EDT
[#28]
i live with the parents becaus my ex ol lady booted me out the apartment      
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:29:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I sold the farm I built in NoVa and had the choice to move anywhere I wanted. I work VO.

Why did I move here:

No state income tax
Lower cost of living
Low crime
Good area to raise my son
Close to good gun club with quarterly machine gun shoots
Good gun laws
Redfish
Sea Trout
Spanish Mackerel
King Mackerel
Mangrove Snapper
Grouper

And

My office view:

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I hated the cold weather in Illinois, and their insane gun laws.

AB
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#31]
   Dont have to lock your door at night, not yet anyway. You can drive around with a rifle in your pickup gunrack and nobody cares. You can speak English and still communicate with everyone you meet. Great hunting. Murders, Rapes ,and robberies are still big news,low crime rate.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top