Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm torn on this subject. I like both my FAL's and my AR's.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Tough call,if i had to do a lot of walking or running i would rather have my bushy modular. That M1A is a heavy bitch,but you cant argue with 30 cal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A friend and I were just discussing our favorite guns and if you could have only one, what would it be?

Fal is my fave.  

So who else prefers a heavy ass .308 to a light, ergonomic and accurate ar15?

HK 91 is my fave...but the 16" DSA FAL is a very close 2nd

What is not to like about the .308. It is a great for deer hunting (that is what the HK and FAL are for), long range shooting, fun at the range and in a pinch is a great SHTF round.

Yeah the AR is accurate, but it can not be used for deer hunting in many states.....but the HK and FAL .308 can!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not firmly planted on one side of the fence or the other, but I've been thinking about this for a while.  Here's my rationale:

Having only 1 gun to choose from, my thinking shifts into the SHTF-preparedness mode.  In the most likely SHTF scenarios that I can imagine, ballistic effectiveness (& consequently shot placement) will be more important than available round count.  Especially at medium to longer ranges.  Fire suppression (high round count) will be a much lower priority.  Close range capability shouldn't be compromised too severely either, though.

For that reason, I'm leaning toward a BM59 or M14/M1A para configuration, or a SA SOCOM II (but with a folding stock), or a JLD PTR-91 KP, possibly SBR'd.

I would want to have a suppressed/SBR AR in the BOV and a shitload of ammo too, though.  But that is beyond the scope of the question.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:33:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Pshah.  Lahti 20mm...one in each hand, John Woo Style.

Seriously, I have never shot either the AR or the FAL (Yes, I am a poor deprived mofo).  If it were truly a Shit hit the fan, no laws, everyone fending for themselves breakdown of society type of scenario (Course, this would more accurately be called TEOWATKI), I would want the power of a .30 cal.  I would imagine that I would have to use the rifle to hunt at least as much as I would use it to fight with.  So for me, M1A, because of its similarity to the Garand, which I have had some experience with.

From what I have heard and read, though, I would probably amend that to the FAL if I familiarized myself with the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#6]
7.62x39 can't beat it  if I could get 30rd mags I would get the upper for my ar and be uber cool
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I love FALs.   And mine are stone-axe reliable.  Plus, .308 would be much better at bagging large or dangerous game for food.

BUT, you can only hump so much ammo around with you, so you're going to have to find a source when you get low.  Here in the US, besides sporting goods stores you're only going to find .308 in M13 links from the military.  Personally I wouldn't like to face down a grunt with an M240 and try and talk him out of a few boxes of ammo.

OTOH, every soldier, jarhead, National Guard troop, and many PDs will have 5.56mm ammo to feed their rifles.  And I'm sure if you ask them in just the right way they'd part with some.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend and I were just discussing our favorite guns and if you could have only one, what would it be?

Fal is my fave.  

I prefer the HK-91, but since its a lot easier (and cheaper) to get the FAL, then the FAL would be my first choice as a battle rifle, and then comes the AR-10, AR-15/M-16.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
SHTF:
7.62x39
9mm Luger
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:07:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess 5.56, although I do like 7.62x39 and .308. But then again I like .45 ACP and 12 gauge for long guns too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Your right......your not worthy!

STFU NOOB!

5.56x45mm  Hk416 Enhanced Carbine, followed by the XM8, followed by the G36, followed by the MP5, followed by an enormous list of precision rifles and handguns.

Rem700pss...........
Ever hear of sarcasim?  You know what.........Who the fuck cares what you think?  Thanks for the welcome and.......KISS MY ASS!!!

Get a sense of humor

Travis
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#12]
7.62 X 51

Danny
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
7.62 X 51

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14604

Danny

Looks just like the Fulton Armory one I had with a Fajen stock. Lost it in the big D.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Is the weight of the .308 hurting your limp wrists?  

My FAL is not that much heavier than an HBAR AR, recoil is only a little more, and my FAL shoots mil surp ammo consistently under 2 MOA.

The FAL is very ergonomic, and actually surpasses the AR with the integrated bipod.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I just pieced together an 20" AR-10 that weighs in at 9.5 lbs, with optics but without the mag.  Many, if not most, of the .223 precision rigs weigh in at that or more.  Get the best of both worlds.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the weight of the .308 hurting your limp wrists?  

My FAL is not that much heavier than an HBAR AR, recoil is only a little more, and my FAL shoots mil surp ammo consistently under 2 MOA.

The FAL is very ergonomic, and actually surpasses the AR with the integrated bipod.

Nah, I happen to be very good at carrying a 14lb weapon. I prefer it even.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I still prefer my AR.

I shoot better with it than any other platform. And it's reliable.

That's all I need.

BUT.......my M1A is a close second.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:52:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Either one of these are my "go to" rifles. I'm partial to the Para at this point.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top