Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Neat pictures. Someyear I will make it up there. Alaska was my first choice for the Army. Didn't get it. Gorgeous country there.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Seward is my favorite place to go in Alaska so far. I usually stay at the VanGilder, & sometimes at Murphy's. I haven't ever gotten to see from the angle your picturs show, but wow! If that's not a slice of hevan I'll eat my hat. Lucky lucky you.

Thanks for sharing your pics.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Seward is my favorite place to go in Alaska so far. I usually stay at the VanGilder, & sometimes at Murphy's. I haven't ever gotten to see from the angle your picturs show, but wow! If that's not a slice of hevan I'll eat my hat. Lucky lucky you.

Thanks for sharing your pics.

I know the Gilder inside and out, worked on it for a couple years.  

The pics are all taken around 8pm, it is getting kind of dusky out, and the first time we went ut there was a huge fog bank in.

Yeserday's trip was to try and get footage for the website that is going up next year, the plan is to offer jetski tours.  

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Man that is beautiful. I just got back from a two week deployment up there at Elmendorf AFB and a fishing trip down in Seward the thursday before last, August 18. Fishing in a storm, 15 to 20 foot waves and fishing, just trying not to get throwed off the boat was an adventure in itself. But, I got to admit that I would love to talk my wife in to moveing up there. The motto of the state fits itself very good "the Last Frontier"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
New camera, more pics.  Movies might be a while, they were taken with a sony w7 set on fint so they are all running over  meg per second.

These  I resized a little earlier, i ain't a pro at this.  They were all 2.5 MB in size and taken on the 7 MP setting so the originals are huge.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Movie added

My first try at this, I compressed it down from 70 MB

Click here to watch 8-20-086
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
YOU EITHER CRAZY, STUPID, OR A LITTLE OF BOTH.

AWESOME PICS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Hardly crazy, wearing those wussy wetsuits.

Here's my buddy joining the Polar Bear club in Pt. Barrow, most northern point in the USA.  He is about to hug a nearby iceberg chunk.

To join the club, you must fully submerge yourself.  If you are lucky, the ocean water may have warmed all the way up to a balmy 34deg F but then again, maybe it's about 30deg.

I've taken truck loads of people to make this journey, and am myself a member as well.  Sure you can join similar clubs elsewhere, but for me if it's not in the Arctic Ocean at the top of the world, it just ain't the same.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:09:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Ain't done the polar bear jump...down here it is in the harbor, and I know waaaaaay too much about what's been dumped in the harbor.

p.s.  you suck Mike.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Tagged for the morning.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:50:25 AM EDT
[#11]
nice pics.

I bet that the temp of that water made your dick go inverted huh?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool!

I mean...

COLD!!!

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
p.s.  you suck Mike.  

Perhaps, but I don't swallow.

I tell ya what REALLY sucks hard though - my "buddies" during my own initiation.  Three of us, first and last time we joined.  I take pictures of the two as they go in, then, my turn and one of them takes my pictures.  Then we all jump in together and friend hands camera to tourist to take group pictures.  As we are getting out this second time, I overhear the old lady saying "I'm supposed to take pictures of who?".  Then we spot an iceburg so the three of us jump back in a third time and hand my other friend's camera to a somewhat more competant looking tourist who snaps the pictures.

Aftermath:  The pictures of me was only my head above water, looking away, then my head submerged and just my hair floating (I was growing it way, way, way out at the time), then the last shot of me completely underwater with nothing but a darker spot to note where I am.  SOB!  Not one good shot of me, nothing recognizable.  Okay, how about the other camera?  Dude leaves for South America and never had the pictures developed of us and the iceburgs.

Yeah, thanks much you bastards.

I'm not going back in again...

At anyrate, the "Extreme Jetskiing, Alaskan Style" are kick ass pictures, I'm saving those.  That's got to be a lot more fun jinking around iceburgs than just spinning circles and jumping other people's waves in flat open water.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife just got back in from a trip.  Smooth water, no battling 4-5 miles of "rez bay head chop" or nothing for her.  Did not have the time to go to the bergs though.  I should have some more pics tomorrow.

after the end of the season I hope to get out during the day and get some more pics and longer trips in.  

p.s. I did not say you sucked in a bad way Mike.  I mean, you suck good..
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Could you send some of that ice our way?

It was 111º with 31% humidity here today.

When come back bring glacier!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#16]
How about some snow?  Today our first day of snow came where I am...
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#17]
fun
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
PfffT!
The Arctic. That's for wussies!

Real men join the Scott Base Swim Club in Antarctica.
Been there, done that, got the patch.

Quoted:
Hardly crazy, wearing those wussy wetsuits.

Here's my buddy joining the Polar Bear club in Pt. Barrow, most northern point in the USA.  He is about to hug a nearby iceberg chunk.

To join the club, you must fully submerge yourself.  If you are lucky, the ocean water may have warmed all the way up to a balmy 34deg F but then again, maybe it's about 30deg.

I've taken truck loads of people to make this journey, and am myself a member as well.  Sure you can join similar clubs elsewhere, but for me if it's not in the Arctic Ocean at the top of the world, it just ain't the same.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41180

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are a few shots of the wifey 'round Rez bay.

And a quick movie Click here to watch 8-20-086

This was my wife's first time out and she took a while to get used to it so they did not get a chance to hit the glaciers.

We have been looking at jet ski's online..

P.S. She said she'd kill me for posting this one..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#21]
For the "I can't see folks", the first few pics are at imagecabin.com who are experiencing the following difficulties..

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.imagecabin.com Port 80

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
went out again for like 6 hours today.  I got "baptised".  Contrary to popular beliefe, glacial lakes are not cold....they are fookin' cold.  Even with the dry suit on my arms got so cold that my strength was sapped.

More pics to come in a day or so.  Got shots of some wildlife and a couple neat structures in the ice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top