Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I stay in the car like a person who doesn't want to end up face-down on the pavement.

Call me crazy.

+1

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That is the dumbest thing to do.

By the way, why do you get pulled over so much anyway!?

I have always owned high performance cars and I enjoy driving them. My current car is a BMW E46 M3. I've probably gotten about 25 speeding tickets in my life (average about 1 per year).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you guys think?

I THINK you havent actually TRIED this and its just what you THINK you are going to do!

Oh and PS

Dont THINK for a second that you are going to pull this off in Florida!

I am perplexed that anyone would doubt me. When I was a kid, EVERYONE would get out of their car to meet an officer when pulled over. It was a sign of disrespect not to.

It was like that in my area until the early 1980's. Not any more! I haven't been pulled over but once in that time, but I stayed put having talked about this with an LEO buddy of mine. Back in the day it was normal to get out, license and registration in hand, and walk back. Half the time the cop wouldn't even get out of his car.  The bad guys are more dangerous today.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd turn off the engine, and sit tight with my hands on the wheel. I wouldn't want to be a cop approaching an unknown vehicle these days.  20 years ago things were a lot different.

Yeah, they were worse. In 1985, 76 police officers were shot and killed in the U.S. Last year 53 were shot and killed. The year before last, 47.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I stay in the car, toss a small toy dog stuffed with ketchup packets out of the window, and wait about 5 seconds.

By then, the cop is usually out of ammo, he's happy, and waves me to leave.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd turn off the engine, and sit tight with my hands on the wheel. I wouldn't want to be a cop approaching an unknown vehicle these days.  20 years ago things were a lot different.

Yeah, they were worse. In 1985, 76 police officers were shot and killed in the U.S. Last year 53 were shot and killed. The year before last, 47.

Is that because there's fewer cops getting shot, or is it due to more prevalent use of body armor, better tactics (like not letting people get out of their cars to meet you), and advances in the care and treatment of gunshot wounds?  Seriously.  I know my reply has the sound of sarcasm, but I really don't know the answer.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Stupid is, as stupid does!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:57:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I stay in the car until the cop is just about to my window and then floor it!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]
It seems to me that if someone wanted to do the officer harm, they could more easily get the drop on an officer from inside a car as the officer approached, than if the driver were outside the car in plain view. A cop walking up on a car that he cannot see into, must be more dangerous for the cop than walking up on a guy in plain view where the officer can see the guy's every move. I just cannot see how staying in the car would not be more stressful on the officer. What am I missing here?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't get pulled over very often, the last time was probably about four years ago, for a traffic infraction
(I told the Cop he was mistaken, he told me he would be transferred before it came to court, heh)

only once(7years ago)have I been told to get back in the vehicle(over the pa)I got back in and held my  hands out window.......

all the other times, I got  out, showed my hands were empty and waited by the vehicle, making no suspicious moves
(I have probably been pulled over about 15 times in 30 years, usually for speeding, I don't speed much anymore)

I have never had a problem doing this, but I am wondering if their current procedures\training might "negatively" affect any of my future stops
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stay in the car. If we want you out, you'll hear the loudspeaker. Pretend it's one of those amusement park rides - you never know which way it's going to turn, but it's a pretty good idea if you stay seated.

Otherwise, we lose out on the whole good-ole-boy-strutting-up-to-your-car walk.  

+1.  Stay in the car.  leave your seat belt on and don't get your license/registration/insurance till they ask for it.  Moving around makes a po-po think you are hiding dope/gun/other contraband.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
As soon as I pull over, I always get out of the car right away and walk non-aggressively towards the cop car with my hands in plain view. My goal is to show I am friendly, non threatening and that I don't have a weapon. I'll introduce myself and offer to shake his hand. I'll then tell him I have a weapon in the car and give him my CHL. It always seems to work and the Officer will never tell me to get back in my car. In my experience, I always seem to get along well with the Officers and they are generally friendly.

Some people have told me this is the worst thing you can do (get out of the car) and could get you shot because Police view this as a threat.

What do you guys think?

I think you are going to get shot.  Stay in your car until I tell you to do something else.  

If you want to appear non-threatening during a T-stop, stay in the car, turn on the interior light (if it's dark out) and wait patiently for the officer to make contact.

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Each time I've been pulled (always late at night or early morning) I make sure to fasten my seatbelt, turn off the engine, turn the radio off, and keep both hands where the officer can see my hands, and sit still and dont reach for anything unless told to. There is no sense in stressing out the officer more than he undoubtedly is.  Turning on the dome light isnt all that necessary since the local LEOs light you up like a christmas tree as soon as we're both stopped.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
. Pull way the heck over so the LEO can pull over and be as far out of harms way as possible.

Something I noticed. CHP approach the car from the passenger's side. When I was pulled over in Nevada, he came to the driver's window.

Always wondered why all cops don't go to the passenger side. Keeps them further away from traffic.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR UNLESS DIRECTED TO DO SO.

Did you see the cop hostage video? First thing that would have told me something was up was the driver already being out of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I find it's easier to offer the cop a BJ when you're already leaning in his car window.

YMMV

KIDDING!  Stay in your vehicle...hands on the wheel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]
As almost everyone has mentioned, I stay in the car, engine off, hands on the wheel, window down.  Have not gotten more than a warning in over 10 years, and only one ticket in the last 15.

One other thing I do, is to casually reposition my mirrors so the damn spotlight and high-beams don't shine in my eyes.  Clearly this is done to create a tactical advantage for the officer, and I want my vision as good as it can be under the circumstances.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I do not/would not get out of car until asked to do so.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Dude,

Some simple rules to avoid getting shot during a car stop:

DO's:
Shut off the engine.
Turn on the interior light.
Place hands on steering wheel in plain sight.
Roll down the window.

DON'Ts:
Make sudden moves.
Reach into the glove compartment until told to do so.
Reach under the seat.
Get out of the car.

ETA: And the biggest and most important rule of all is to never admit to anything or consent to a search.

ETA2 because I'm a moron...

Chris, why WOULDN'T you consent to a search?  It doesn't take too long, and it puts the LEO out of a lot of stress, and added manpower to come to the call.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that because there's fewer cops getting shot, or is it due to more prevalent use of body armor, better tactics (like not letting people get out of their cars to meet you), and advances in the care and treatment of gunshot wounds?  Seriously.  I know my reply has the sound of sarcasm, but I really don't know the answer.

I don't think those numbers are correct. It has averaged around 150 cops year for many, many years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dude,

Some simple rules to avoid getting shot during a car stop:

DO's:
Shut off the engine.
Turn on the interior light.
Place hands on steering wheel in plain sight.
Roll down the window.

DON'Ts:
Make sudden moves.
Reach into the glove compartment until told to do so.
Reach under the seat.
Get out of the car.

ETA: And the biggest and most important rule of all is to never admit to anything or consent to a search.

ETA2 because I'm a moron...

Chris, why WOULDN'T you consent to a search?  It doesn't take too long, and it puts the LEO out of a lot of stress, and added manpower to come to the call.  

If you don't consent to a search, don't they detain you while they get a warrant to search your car?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
1. Pull over
2. Turn off car.
2.5. turn on dome light if dark.
3. Roll down window.
4. Drop keys out window onto pavement.
5. Stick both hands out window.

6. Smile and STFU.

Damn, beat me to it!! Gotta love this one, a sure sign that you have been the subject of felony stops in the past and had some interesting interactions with the po-po.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think those numbers are correct. It has averaged around 150 cops year for many, many years.

Total police fatalities runs about 150 per year. The number of deaths from GUNFIRE has dropped.

Here is a control chart that shows gunshot fatalities for US law enforcement since 1980.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It has, he was just talking about how many are kia by shootings, most nowadays are killed by car crashes and such.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I put my hands on the windshield and scream "The coke isn't mine!"

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I've always heard to sit there with your hands on the top of the steering wheel, and if at night turn on the dome light

ever watch one of those police video shows? on the stops where the driver gets out without being told to the cops always go ape shit and start swearing at them to get back in the car or get on the ground and they immediately draw their guns
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, not unless I'm looking to see loaded guns pointed at me.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#28]

I always stay in the car put my hands on the steering wheel and turn on the dome light. I also turn up the radio to hide the noise of the beer gurgling out of the bottle under the seat.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Stay in the car. If we want you out, you'll hear the loudspeaker. Pretend it's one of those amusement park rides - you never know which way it's going to turn, but it's a pretty good idea if you stay seated.

Otherwise, we lose out on the whole good-ole-boy-strutting-up-to-your-car walk.  

+1.  Stay in the car.  leave your seat belt on and don't get your license/registration/insurance till they ask for it.  Moving around makes a po-po think you are hiding dope/gun/other contraband.  

No, it doesn't. Moving around makes us think "worst case scenario" i.e. you're going for a weapon. We act to deal with that, usually involves at least unholstering firearm. Furtive movements WILL get your car searched.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I immediately arm the claymore I had custom installed on the driver's side door (facing outwards, of course).

If the cop gives me any "negative feedback" I blow his ass to hell...

(just kidding... I stay in the car)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This is colossally stupid.

+1
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I stay in the car , hands on the wheel
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is colossally stupid.

+1

No need for insults. Remember....we all have guns.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
It seems to me that if someone wanted to do the officer harm, they could more easily get the drop on an officer from inside a car as the officer approached, than if the driver were outside the car in plain view. A cop walking up on a car that he cannot see into, must be more dangerous for the cop than walking up on a guy in plain view where the officer can see the guy's every move. I just cannot see how staying in the car would not be more stressful on the officer. What am I missing here?

If the driver stays in the car, then the officer can position himself as he needs. If the driver gets out, the driver now controls the situation.  With the driver in the car, the officer has the advantage of angle, as the officer can place himself where the driver can't see him. In the case where the officer can't see into the car, he can always control what (and when) steps he takes to ensure his safety. IE, he can order people out of the car one at a time, order the driver to turn off the engine, throw out the keys, and exit the car facing away from the officer with his hands up.

I saw a recent video taken  in Europe, and the officers got mad because the driver didn't  get out of the car and walk back to the police car.

Whenever I have been stopped, I lower all four windows (SUV), turn off the engine, hazard lights on, and have my hands on the wheel.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#35]
If you get out of your car and I havent asked you, it will net you a seat in a diiferent car; mine.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Turn off engine.
Turn off stereo.
Turn ON inside lights.
Keep hands in plain view.
Stay seated.

I don't like all the stops or fishing expeditions, but a little common sense and common courtesy will turn away most problems.

BTW: I won't consent to search and I give my CHL (if packing) and military ID with my DL.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If you get out of your car and I havent asked you, it will net you a seat in a diiferent car; mine.  

Will I get to play with the police radio? Pleeeeease?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:08:43 PM EDT
[#38]
how does what kind of car you drive matter? ya im sure felons and armed people never drive those. If you step out of your car here you get a gun pointed at you,screamed to get back in your car then a nice ass chewing once the officer gets to your car. your first post is easly the dumbest idea ive heard besides jumping out of your coool bmw and shooting at the cop with your airsoft pistol just to test his reaction time. you my man are a idiot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will I get to play with the police radio? Pleeeeease?

I want to play with the siren.WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#40]
The last time I got pulled over for speeding was in about 1971.  I stayed in the car, he came up and took my docs, went back to his car and wrote the ticket.  ANd, it was a different world back then.

If I were to get stopped now, I would just stay in the car and keep my hands in view.  If in civilized states (from here to AZ, excepting New Mexico)  I'll hand him/her my docs and concealed weapon license, again keeping hands in sight.  I doubt there'll be a problem.  If at night, I will add the step of turning on the inside lights, still staying in the car.

I doubt any approach on the patrol car would be interpreted as anything but aggressive, and trouble in progress.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#41]
With the new improved military tactis, the police have decided it is easier to deal with subjects when they are sitting down.  Unfortunately the days of people being kept safe on the roads and being treated like citizens, not subjects is long gone.

If you take offense to that, then explain how  a citizen outside of his vehicle IN PLAIN SIGHT is more of a threat to you than someone  that is 95% NOT VISIBLE.  Not going to happen.  And as for the last explanation, If the officer can not see what the citizen is doing then he is in dream land if he thinks he controls the situation.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:04:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Sit hands on wheel and wait.  Even in SD you can get an officer on edge by getting out.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:07:40 PM EDT
[#43]
When the 5 Border Patrol units lit me up about 5 miles north of the Mexican border, my hands stayed on the wheel even as I crapped my pants. The girlfriend thought it was an adventure, I almost had to beat her down before coming to a stop.
But then again she thought it was fun to speak to the Mexican police in the bus driver hats in the room with the bullet proof glass and x-ray machine! (Neuevo Laredo, no less, but before the military went AWOL.)

ETA after reading another post: I did the "It's not my Coke" thing while I was sitting on the sidewalk waiting for the  car to be disassembled and put back together...it didn't go over well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If someone pops out of their car when I pull them over, they either:

A) Have something in their car that they don't want me to see
B) Are going to run for whatever reason
C) Want to fight

You ar e"The Man" and I wouldn't want to pull over strangers, but the "they either" part of the post is BS.
I'm not sayin' that that isn't the safest assumption in yout position, though.
I always get out and stand by my drivers door with my hands clasped in front of me, usually with my DL and CCW in hand.
Thanks for being a cop...seriously.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
how does what kind of car you drive matter? ya im sure felons and armed people never drive those. If you step out of your car here you get a gun pointed at you,screamed to get back in your car then a nice ass chewing once the officer gets to your car. your first post is easly the dumbest idea ive heard besides jumping out of your coool bmw and shooting at the cop with your airsoft pistol just to test his reaction time. you my man are a idiot.

The cop sizes you up in about 5 seconds based on lots of things, including what car you drive. A driver of a "blinged out" Monte Carlo would pose more of a threat in the cop's mind, than a driver of a totally stock 5-Series BMW. Just like a guy wearing a wife beater t-shirt covered in tattoos would pose more of a threat than a clean cut guy in a suit. It's just human nature for the cop to size up the situation based on numerous factors... which include your car.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The cop sizes you up in about 5 seconds based on lots of things, including what car you drive. A driver of a "blinged out" Monte Carlo would pose more of a threat in the cop's mind, than a driver of a totally stock 5-Series BMW. Just like a guy wearing a wife beater t-shirt covered in tattoos would pose more of a threat than a clean cut guy in a suit. It's just human nature for the cop to size up the situation based on numerous factors... which include your car.

Hey...I'm covered in tattoos and wear wife beaters occassionally.  I'm an LEO, but I guess I just don't fit the stereotype.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#47]
I have been pulled over by raving State Troopers that I would be seriously afraid they would SHOOT me if I got out of the car!

Since I don't want to get shot/tased/sprayed, I stay in the car, dome light on, hands on the wheel, and stare straight ahead.  Don't make eye contact with the monster and he is less likely to go off.  Answer all questions politely and comply with any requests.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Pull over as soon as it is safely possible.  Turn the engine off, acknowledge the officer with a polite wave then put your hands on steering wheel if it is dark, turn the cab light on.

Before the officer approaches the vehicle do not start rummaging through your wallet/purse, glove box or under your driver seat or in the center console for your registration/proof of insurance.

If you are smoking a cigarette put it out.  If you are eating, stop.  If you are on your cell phone, hang up.  If you are putting on makeup, stop.  If you are masterbating, stop.  

Wait for the officer to approach and follow his/her instructions.

In AZ if you are a CCW Permit holder and you have a weapon concealed on your person, when/if the officer asks for your drivers license hand him/her your CCW Permit with your drivers license.

If you do not have a weapon concealed on your person but there is a weapon in the car, answer the officers questions truthfully.  If they don't ask don't volunteer the information.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I drive naked, just for this very case.

When I get pulled over, I immediately exit my vehicle.  Being naked shows the officer I am no threat and have no weapons.

If I see one more "chooch" on a traffic stop..........................
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#50]
I think you are asking to be fitted for a casket.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top