Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#1]
NAS Point Mugu, Ca.

The perfect place to own and ride motorcycles, bar none.
Dirt bikes, sport bikes, dual purpose bikes, cruisers, tourers.

Out the back gate and on to the Pacifc Coast Highway to Malibu and Santa Monica (and the Santa Monica mountains).

Out the front gate and on the Pacific Coast Highway to Ventura and Santa Barbara and the Santa Barbara Mountains.

The great hang-outs, The Rock Store, Newcombs Ranch, Ojai, Cold Spring Tavern
The roads and the places to go.

The beach, the mountains, the desert, big city and small town America all within a couple of hours and a couple hundred miles.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Summers in Newport RI, winters in San Diego, and any time of year in Gaeta, Italy.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:35:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Fulda, Giessen and Frankfurt, Germany.  Sierra Army Depot in Herlong, CA wasn't bad if you like BFE to the extreme.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Mog

Prolly the 4+ Months TDY at NAS Rota.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Either Panama or Egypt. Both were great for different reasons.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Ettlingen, Germany.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Subic Bay, Republic of the Philippines
Sasebo, Japan
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:03:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
DLI in Monterey is nice.. (Now they got rid of Ft Ord, to all intents and purposes)

Presidio of San Francisco would have been absolutely unbeatable. Every time I drive through there I get depressed that they closed it down.

NTM

Yup, DLI/Presidio of Monterey Foxtrot Co 1988 (Russian)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Presido of San Francisco (if 'Army Brat' time counts - 1961-63)

Flint Kaserne, Bad Toelz, GE 1987-90
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:17:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

You sick fuck!  Fort Puke?  

Ah, someone finally got it!

ETA: It has to do with the perfect year round temps and truly beautiful biker bitches in Leesville

"Perfect year-round temps"?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  Perfect MELTING temps.  And for the biker bitches, whatever floats your boat.  If snaggle-toothed pecker wreckers with tits hanging below the waist turn you on, go for it brotha.  Just strap a 2x4 to your ass to prevent from falling in.

I did FOUR F***ing years there.  There is nothing redeeming about Leesville or Fort Polk.  The nearest mall is an hour away.  Every carnal knowledge case I prosecuted happened at the Super WalMart because, in the immortal words of the 14yo sluts, "it's open 24/7, there's no cover charge, and there's no minimum age to enter."    The nicest restaurant in town is "Catfish Junction" where you throw your peanut shells on the ground.  The largest chain restaurant is Pizza Slut.  They have the insects that God forgot.  My landlord wouldn't let me buy and install AT MY OWN EXPENSE a dishwasher in our house because dishwashers are too, and I quote, NEWFANGLED.  To take care of the grass, he suggested I get a goat instead of a lawnmower.   I hated it I hated it I hated it I hated it I hated it I hated it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Vicenza, Italy was absolutely the best.  Was Musollini's private home and estate prior to and during WWII (until he was hanged).
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:39:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I am one of the luckiest guys on the board for best place to be stationed.

This was 3 yrs of my life in Germany.

I was a microwave radio repairman.  That usually means being stationed on a mountain top.

In Germany, for me, it meant being stationed on Feldberg, the highest peak in the Black Forest of Germany.  Also know as the Schwarzwald. Feldberg was also a ski resort.  The only problem was, we were above the ski resort, so we had to ski DOWN to the top of the lifts. (Oh the horror, always fresh powder).

We were about 180 miles from the closest US base.  (Karlsruhe, where my unit was based.  HHC 160th sig bde).  

There were 6 GI's that lived there, and 6 Germans who worked there.  2 Germans were chefs (certified master chefs), 2 were generator mechanics for the on site generation, and 2 KP girls.

When I got there, we had one NCO, an E-5 who was site chief.  When I left, we were all NCO's.

We never had baracks or personel inspections.  We would have maintenence inspections, depending on what was for dinner.  We had so much steak and lobster, we threw alot of it out, because the mess hall inspection of the books would only show so much food on hand, and we always had more because we signed for every meal, but only ate 2/3 of the time there.

For thanksgiving, we usually had a General visit, because we were know for the best mess hall in Germany.

Did I mention it was a ski resort?  At the bottom was 1/2 a dozen resort hotels.  The main one, Feldberger Hof was a training hotel.  Every 6 months, we got a new batch of chickie snacks show up for 1/2 year of training.  It was a fun time.  Lots of parties.  Never had to worry about brass showing up unannounced, because it was a 3 hour drive to the bottom of the mountain, and once there, they had to call us to to come pick them up in a snowcat 8 months out of the year.  It was a 45 min trip down, and 45 min back up.

Most of us had our gf's live on site with us, and when someone came to visit, we would send a snowcat down to pick them up, and send another down with the gf's the other way.

Next to our building, we had a Chalet.  It had a wet bar, stocked with wine by the french radio site, beer from the Nato (Germans) radion site, and whiskey from US.  It had satellite TV, a sauna, a tanning bed, a dance floor, and 12 rooms if we wanted to have visitors.

The view out my bedroom window was the Swiss Alps.  The other side was the entire Black Forest.

I was to be stationed there for 2 yrs, but loved it so much, I extended for a 3rd yr.  2 weeks after I extended, Saddam invaded Kuwait, and we were all stop lossed.  No biggie, I was in heaven.

I watched the Gulf War like most folks did at home, on TV.

On our site, we had a few amenities.  Movies that were at the theatre, were mailed on tape to us.  Billiards, a dark room for photography, weight room, on site library run by the military library system.  And back when the 386 was the shiznit, we had one, we used it to play games around the clock.  Who ever was on shift would play for about 6 hours while the non shift guys would get some sleep, then they would take over.

We had full access to the mess hall, so even if it was not chow time, you could fix anything you could cook.

It was the greatest assignment the military has.

I lived it for 3 yrs.

I miss Germany.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Berlin,Germany. Early 80's. So much to do and see. We loved it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think I am one of the luckiest guys on the board for best place to be stationed.

This was 3 yrs of my life in Germany.

I was a microwave radio repairman.  That usually means being stationed on a mountain top.

In Germany, for me, it meant being stationed on Feldberg, the highest peak in the Black Forest of Germany.  Also know as the Schwarzwald. Feldberg was also a ski resort.  The only problem was, we were above the ski resort, so we had to ski DOWN to the top of the lifts. (Oh the horror, always fresh powder).

We were about 180 miles from the closest US base.  (Karlsruhe, where my unit was based.  HHC 160th sig bde).  

There were 6 GI's that lived there, and 6 Germans who worked there.  2 Germans were chefs (certified master chefs), 2 were generator mechanics for the on site generation, and 2 KP girls.

When I got there, we had one NCO, an E-5 who was site chief.  When I left, we were all NCO's.

We never had baracks or personel inspections.  We would have maintenence inspections, depending on what was for dinner.  We had so much steak and lobster, we threw alot of it out, because the mess hall inspection of the books would only show so much food on hand, and we always had more because we signed for every meal, but only ate 2/3 of the time there.

For thanksgiving, we usually had a General visit, because we were know for the best mess hall in Germany.

Did I mention it was a ski resort?  At the bottom was 1/2 a dozen resort hotels.  The main one, Feldberger Hof was a training hotel.  Every 6 months, we got a new batch of chickie snacks show up for 1/2 year of training.  It was a fun time.  Lots of parties.  Never had to worry about brass showing up unannounced, because it was a 3 hour drive to the bottom of the mountain, and once there, they had to call us to to come pick them up in a snowcat 8 months out of the year.  It was a 45 min trip down, and 45 min back up.

Most of us had our gf's live on site with us, and when someone came to visit, we would send a snowcat down to pick them up, and send another down with the gf's the other way.

Next to our building, we had a Chalet.  It had a wet bar, stocked with wine by the french radio site, beer from the Nato (Germans) radion site, and whiskey from US.  It had satellite TV, a sauna, a tanning bed, a dance floor, and 12 rooms if we wanted to have visitors.

The view out my bedroom window was the Swiss Alps.  The other side was the entire Black Forest.

I was to be stationed there for 2 yrs, but loved it so much, I extended for a 3rd yr.  2 weeks after I extended, Saddam invaded Kuwait, and we were all stop lossed.  No biggie, I was in heaven.

I watched the Gulf War like most folks did at home, on TV.

On our site, we had a few amenities.  Movies that were at the theatre, were mailed on tape to us.  Billiards, a dark room for photography, weight room, on site library run by the military library system.  And back when the 386 was the shiznit, we had one, we used it to play games around the clock.  Who ever was on shift would play for about 6 hours while the non shift guys would get some sleep, then they would take over.

We had full access to the mess hall, so even if it was not chow time, you could fix anything you could cook.

It was the greatest assignment the military has.

I lived it for 3 yrs.

I miss Germany.

TXL

You suck.  I hate you even more now.

Vicenza was great, but it was only TDY for 90 days.  Outside of that, I spent the remainder of my time at Ft. Hood.  Teh Suck!!  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#15]
1.Duke Field, Fla. Based outta Eglin so right on the beach in Ft. Walton (Pre-Hurricane Andrew...and back then Mc. Donalds even closed in the non-summer months)

2. TDY in Denmark. Stayed in a 4 star hotel and tourist cabins right on the sea, eatin' seafood bought right off the beached boats.

USAF...say what you want. I never humped a ruck not even one mile!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

ETA: It has to do with the perfect year round temps and truly beautiful biker bitches in Leesville

You mean the titty bars with lesbian acts in Leesville!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Hahn AB, Germany.

Riding my Harley along the Mosel river, going to the Winefests. Two really great years.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Dependant tours:
Elmendorf AFB, Alaska 1959-1962
Wiesbaden, Germany, 1967-1970

Active AF tours
USAF Academy Hosp 1975-1976,  USAF Clinic, Peterson Field, Colo 1976-1977

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Ft. Carson- I didn't care for the post, but Colorado was great.
Ft. Knox- Not the best place, but I lived in Radcliff before I joined the Army, so basically, I was stationed at home for three years.
Erlangen Germany- Bavaria. What more can I say? :-)
Ft. Sill- Sucked.
APG- Sucked.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was only there for 3 weeks on a TDY but I liked Guam a whole lot.

Mister, you have got to be shittin me.   Guam is one of the nastiest, military-hating places that I have ever been to.  Nothing but a bunch of lazy, welfare fat fucks live on that island.  I should have asked the pilot to drop me off in Hawaii on the way over.  

Australia  <---------- now, there's a place I wouldn't mind living at in my retirement years.

I must not have been to the same Guam that you went to because I loved it.  I never once got any anti-military vibe, the recreational choices were awesome, and the weather....well the weather sucked, but overall I give it four and a half stars.

I can't wait to go back next year.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:32:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Hawaii.  Among the best years of our lives.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

TAMC, Honolulu HI

"CRIPPLER" Army Medical Center!!!

I remember the Pink Monster VERY well.  Two Army surgeons saved my life there

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:39:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Fort Ord, California, '92-'93.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#24]
San Diego, CA  "Ladies, Ladies, Ladies!!"
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:44:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree with eodtech2000. Yakima was a nice, wide open post, but was mean when the hawk was out.

The town itself was a little strange, but then again we always spent out free time at the Alaskan Corral to drink. Went back there right after St. Hellens blew, that was like a moon scape with six inches of very fine dust eveywhere.

Prib
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Stationed at Pearl Harbor, HI.  Lived in K-bay.  Loved that drive.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:14 AM EDT
[#27]
TDY at Camp McArthur, Cheju Island, Korea.

Known as the Korean "Hawaii".  Sunrises were gorgeous, and it was the first time I had seen ocean water so blue at the beach that it looked fake.

Beautiful places and beautiful Australian women (dancers).  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wasn't stationed there but I did go through the Jungle Operations Training Center at Fort Sherman, Panama.  During our few days off, that place was paradise.  

I was permanent party there in 80-81.  Awesome place. The fishing was fantastic. The ladies in Cologne were even better.

Stateside?  Hunter Army Airfield.  Savannah Ga.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Johnson Island-- Hot and Humid but saved alot of money and some of the best food ever.
Tazsar Hungary- Good times, Good drinks, Budapest = HOT wimenz
Redstone Arsenal, AL - life was easy sweet duty station.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:00:33 AM EDT
[#30]
i was never stationed anywhere worth a shit while i was active duty.....it wasnt until i started contracting that i started seeing some nice places.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Camp Schwab... Oak. Japan.....aka "The Moon"  NOT!!!!

Slug-O
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Slug-O

shit...being up there on the "quiet side" of the island would have suited me just fine.  beat the shit outa Foster (well, cept Foster isnt TOO far from Kadena.......and the airforce chicks)
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Downtown Tokyo, Japan
1971 - 73.  It was great place to be at that time!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

I went to Vietnam from there.  I though Vietnam was an improvement.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

"Perfect year-round temps"?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  Perfect MELTING temps.  And for the biker bitches, whatever floats your boat.  If snaggle-toothed pecker wreckers with tits hanging below the waist turn you on, go for it brotha.  Just strap a 2x4 to your ass to prevent from falling in.

Its called SARCASM--you might be just slow enough to become the mayor of Leesville!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:21:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

You mean the titty bars with lesbian acts in Leesville!

They sure didn't have that in the early 80's--things must be looking up in Leesville
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ft. Polk, La.

I went to Vietnam from there.  I though Vietnam was an improvement.

several years ago a guy told me he volunteered for a second tour in Nam when they told him he would go to Polk when he got stateside.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Nicest place Uncle Sam sent me was Vieques Island/Rosy Roads PR. I slept ON red beach for two months. I was the NCOIC on site, no brass around. 5 soldiers and a ROWPU. I had two commo buys working for me. Needless to say, we ate MRE's for about a day....then it was Lobster and Rum.
I speared them with a Baynet tied to a long stick. Glad I thought to bring my mask and snorkle.

ETA:  Sleeping on the beach of a Bioluminesent (sp) bay is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slug-O

shit...being up there on the "quiet side" of the island would have suited me just fine.  beat the shit outa Foster (well, cept Foster isnt TOO far from Kadena.......and the airforce chicks)

I actually like foster over all the others.  At least it had a decent PX.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Panama , Women, food, beaches good times
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Hands down, no doubt about it.  

Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Ride Nunc
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top