Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why does Shaq need a gun?

If somebody shoots him, that's just going to make him mad.

The guy is friggin' huge.

And drip his HIV everywhere. Sorry, but if I find out someone around me has HIV, I do everything I can to avoid any physical contact with them. Paranoid or not, safer than sorry.

That's Magic Johnson, I think.  Unless I missed something

Yahtzee! You're right, editing now... sorry for the mistake.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yeah, he's a shining light among the darkness that is the NBA.

He's a nice guy alright.  But BFD.

There are many reasons people want to entangle themselves with the police.  Power trips...

no no.....most cops take care of the power-tripping ego part themselves.....usually the vols. just wanna help out and make a difference.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah, he's a shining light among the darkness that is the NBA.

He's a nice guy alright.  But BFD.

There are many reasons people want to entangle themselves with the police.  Power trips...

Offering unwanted advice to the world since 1996

Your sigline is the only thing you've said today that's making sense
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WTF can I have a badge and a Glock, skip the hiring process and the academy? You call that being a good guy? I don't think the means justified the ending.

BS...He passed the academy.

There was an article awhile back where he assisted in an arrest.  Perp resisted and ended up pinned one handed against a wall with his feet dangling 2 feet above the ground.

Nice.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I think they said something about him doing undercover work........
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#6]

I think they said something about him doing undercover work........

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And drip his HIV everywhere. Sorry, but if I find out someone around me has HIV, I do everything I can to avoid any physical contact with them. Paranoid or not, safer than sorry.

+1 WTF is this dude talking about.  Magic maybe. The ignorance is astounding.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No italic's.

AND NO FRIGGIN' APOSTROPHES TO DENOTE PLURAL!!!

www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2 You are correct ARDOC.  I think he is confusing one 6'5'' freak of nature with HIV with another 7'1'' freak of nature sans HIV.  

w4klr, Magic Johnson has the Hi-5.  Shaq doesn't, as far as you know.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+2 You are correct ARDOC.  I think he is confusing one 6'5'' freak of nature with HIV with another 7'1'' freak of nature sans HIV.  

Magic was 6'8" tall.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Magic was 6'8" tall.

True, but that was with the Afro.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's Magic Johnson, I think.  Unless I missed something

Yahtzee! You're right, editing now... sorry for the mistake.

W4klr admitted his mistake awhile back already
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Magic was 6'8" tall.

True, but that was with the Afro.  

Hell, with the afro he was probably more like 7'.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Damned amazing how a topic can turn to shit!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#15]
From someone who has followed the Lakers closely for years, I can tell you for a fact that Shaq is a major league asshole.  Remember that he does these things in public.  You never hear about a lot of the charity or community programs NBA players do, because they don't feel the need to publicize everything to get some good publicity.

Secondly, Shaq has the entire L.A. media in his back pocket.  Why do you think people call Kobe an egomaniac, when Kobe has only come out to the media and complained once in his entire career, whereas Shaq drops controversial and inflammatory comments to the media all the time?  Shaq threatens to cut off access to sportswriters who write negative comments about him, so in that whole Shaq-Kobe feud thing that went on, the media wrote one-sided reports the whole time.  Everything you guys read on ESPN was equivalent to a Brady Center article.  Full of BS, but the sheeple believe it.

Remember that this guy made $30 million a year and refused to take a paycut to $20 million (where he would still be the highest paid player in the league, because his and Kevin Garnett's were the only contracts grandfathered in after the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which would have limited veteran players to receiving contracts of a max at around $15 million or so).  That is why the Lakers were broken up.  Not because of Kobe, and not because of Phil Jackson.  Shaq refused to take a paycut.  And he's not worth even $20 million.  The guy has always been overweight and out of shape, and refuses to work hard.  His numbers now barely reach 20 and 10.  Plenty of guys exceed that for a lot less money.  Guys like Tim Duncan, or Kevin Garnett.  KG even agreed to a paycut.  Secondly, remember that contracts don't end when players retire.  Shaq's new contract with Miami, which pays 20-something million a year for 5 more years, is going to be in effect until he is 38, and the only way for Miami to stop paying him after he retires in a couple years, is if Shaq agrees to a buyout.  You really think a guy as selfish as him is gonna agree to a one time small amount buyout when he retires?

Shaq does do charity events, and that's a good thing, but don't assume he's any different than any other NBA player.  They all do charity events, but they don't feel the need to put themselves in the spotlight and use it for publicity.  When the camera isn't on, Shaq is a completely different person, according to a multitude of firsthand accounts I've read of people who have dealt with him.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:18:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Everything you guys read on ESPN was equivalent to a Brady Center article. Full of BS, but the sheeple believe it.

Anybody that gives two shits about a feud between 2 millionaire basketball players is by definition a sheeple.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
From someone who has followed the Lakers closely for years, I can tell you for a fact that Shaq is a major league asshole.  Remember that he does these things in public.  You never hear about a lot of the charity or community programs NBA players do, because they don't feel the need to publicize everything to get some good publicity.

Secondly, Shaq has the entire L.A. media in his back pocket.  Why do you think people call Kobe an egomaniac, when Kobe has only come out to the media and complained once in his entire career, whereas Shaq drops controversial and inflammatory comments to the media all the time?  Shaq threatens to cut off access to sportswriters who write negative comments about him, so in that whole Shaq-Kobe feud thing that went on, the media wrote one-sided reports the whole time.  Everything you guys read on ESPN was equivalent to a Brady Center article.  Full of BS, but the sheeple believe it.

Remember that this guy made $30 million a year and refused to take a paycut to $20 million (where he would still be the highest paid player in the league, because his and Kevin Garnett's were the only contracts grandfathered in after the Collective Bargaining Agreement, which would have limited veteran players to receiving contracts of a max at around $15 million or so).  That is why the Lakers were broken up.  Not because of Kobe, and not because of Phil Jackson.  Shaq refused to take a paycut.  And he's not worth even $20 million.  The guy has always been overweight and out of shape, and refuses to work hard.  His numbers now barely reach 20 and 10.  Plenty of guys exceed that for a lot less money.  Guys like Tim Duncan, or Kevin Garnett.  KG even agreed to a paycut.  Secondly, remember that contracts don't end when players retire.  Shaq's new contract with Miami, which pays 20-something million a year for 5 more years, is going to be in effect until he is 38, and the only way for Miami to stop paying him after he retires in a couple years, is if Shaq agrees to a buyout.  You really think a guy as selfish as him is gonna agree to a one time small amount buyout when he retires?

Shaq does do charity events, and that's a good thing, but don't assume he's any different than any other NBA player.  They all do charity events, but they don't feel the need to put themselves in the spotlight and use it for publicity.  When the camera isn't on, Shaq is a completely different person, according to a multitude of firsthand accounts I've read of people who have dealt with him.

I hate to disagree, but I will.  Shaq started his career in Orlando.  He has ALWAYS been a good sport and done charity events out of the goodness of his heart.  He never charged "celebrity appearance" fees to the charity.   As I have stated before, I have met him personally.  Granted I didn't talk to him for long, but he was genuine and took time out of his day to take pics with kids and fans.

This in contrast to other celebs I have met.  Mark Martin....complete dick.  I have seen him do and say a few things in public that I care not repeat.  Tom Cruise...no need to go there...whackjob.  Dennis Rodman...jerk.  LaToya Jackson...whackjob.  None of these people give an ounce of their time to help the less fortunate.

With regard to taking less money?  How do account for the fact that he in fact took less money in this most recent contract negotiation so that his team could afford to get more talent and further increase their chances of winning a championship?  Has Kobe done that.  The answer is a resounding NO.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to disagree, but I will.  Shaq started his career in Orlando.  He has ALWAYS been a good sport and done charity events out of the goodness of his heart.  He never charged "celebrity appearance" fees to the charity.   As I have stated before, I have met him personally.  Granted I didn't talk to him for long, but he was genuine and took time out of his day to take pics with kids and fans.

This in contrast to other celebs I have met.  Mark Martin....complete dick.  I have seen him do and say a few things in public that I care not repeat.  Tom Cruise...no need to go there...whackjob.  Dennis Rodman...jerk.  LaToya Jackson...whackjob.  None of these people give an ounce of their time to help the less fortunate.

With regard to taking less money?  How do account for the fact that he in fact took less money in this most recent contract negotiation so that his team could afford to get more talent and further increase their chances of winning a championship?  Has Kobe done that.  The answer is a resounding NO.  

I can't honestly tell you I know for a fact why Shaq decided to take a paycut for Miami, but not when he was with the Lakers.  In my opinion, he's probably just realizing his mortality.  He assumed when he moved to the Eastern Conference, he'd be a huge force that couldn't be stopped because of the lack of size in the East.  But he wasn't, he was pretty average.  He also didn't get his team to the Finals.  He's also been a lot more accepting of Dwyane Wade than he ever was of Kobe.  I think he just finally realized he's not the "Most Dominant Ever" that he used to be, and if he pushed hard to stay at $30 million, he might not get the extension from Miami.  If he didn't get an extension, and had to become a free agent, he'd then be limited to the normal max of other players at around $15 million when and if he signed with a different team.  A small paycut now is better than a big paycut later, I guess.

As far as what you said about meeting Shaq, I completely believe you.  I've heard some negative stories too.  He was probably just in a bad mood those days or something.

ETA: Just a small addition.  Shaq's paycut didn't affect whether the Heat could get new talent or not, because they are over the cap already and can't sign free agents except for using the mid level or low level exception.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Everything you guys read on ESPN was equivalent to a Brady Center article. Full of BS, but the sheeple believe it.

Anybody that gives two shits about a feud between 2 millionaire basketball players is by definition a sheeple.

Basketball is a great sport.  Unfortunately, a lot of the players are drama queens that love media attention.  If that affects the team I root for, then yeah, I give a shit.  Why'd you waste your time reading about it and replying?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't honestly tell you I know for a fact why Shaq decided to take a paycut for Miami, but not when he was with the Lakers.  In my opinion, he's probably just realizing his mortality.  He assumed when he moved to the Eastern Conference, he'd be a huge force that couldn't be stopped because of the lack of size in the East.  But he wasn't, he was pretty average.  He also didn't get his team to the Finals.  He's also been a lot more accepting of Dwyane Wade than he ever was of Kobe.  I think he just finally realized he's not the "Most Dominant Ever" that he used to be, and if he pushed hard to stay at $30 million, he might not get the extension from Miami.  If he didn't get an extension, and had to become a free agent, he'd then be limited to the normal max of other players at around $15 million when and if he signed with a different team.  A small paycut now is better than a big paycut later, I guess.

As far as what you said about meeting Shaq, I completely believe you.  I've heard some negative stories too.  He was probably just in a bad mood those days or something.

You are right, celebs and athletes are permitted to have bad days.  With regard to Shaq in LA, it is very simple.  He didn't like the owners or Kobe.  Shaq had nothing more than time invested in the Lakers.  It was clear that the owners wanted Kobe to be 1st chair, but the fans wouldn't allow it.

By any stretch of the imagination, Kobe isn't a team player.  He is bitter that he doesn't have the "Star" quality of Shaq and Jordan.  It is all in the attitude.  Kobe was hailed as the next MJ and has failed to live up to it and was reminded of it everytime he shared a court with Shaq.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Just remmebered he also went back to college and got his degree.  

If I remember correctly, he has a Masters Degree as well?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:49:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
From someone who has followed the Lakers closely for years, I can tell you for a fact that Shaq is a major league asshole.  Remember that he does these things in public.
Kinda like how he volunteered on tv to pay for George Mikhan's (sp?) funeral because the family was broke from medical bills?

Remember that this guy made $30 million a year and refused to take a paycut to $20 million
So? He's one ACL tear away from no more paydays. Make it while you can.

And he's not worth even $20 million.
No, he just signed for something like $140 mil or so.

The guy has always been overweight and out of shape, and refuses to work hard.
How many NBA rings you have, homes?

They all do charity events
No, they all don't do charity events.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remmebered he also went back to college and got his degree.  

If I remember correctly, he has a Masters Degree as well?

MBA, University of Phoenix
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I hope he's professional enough to handle that Glock foe-tee

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Boy I started a thread about someone who is doing something good and all this thread has turned into is a bitch fest about why Shaq wanted more money and if he joined the police for the right reason.  Your all are some jaded folks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From someone who has followed the Lakers closely for years, I can tell you for a fact that Shaq is a major league asshole.  Remember that he does these things in public.
Kinda like how he volunteered on tv to pay for George Mikhan's (sp?) funeral because the family was broke from medical bills?

Remember that this guy made $30 million a year and refused to take a paycut to $20 million
So? He's one ACL tear away from no more paydays. Make it while you can.

And he's not worth even $20 million.
No, he just signed for something like $140 mil or so.

The guy has always been overweight and out of shape, and refuses to work hard.
How many NBA rings you have, homes?

They all do charity events
No, they all don't do charity events.

Many people felt the George Mikan thing should have been handled in private.  That's what I meant by seeking publicity.  When I said he's not worth $20 million, I meant $20 million Per Year, which adds up to your total amount that you brought up.  I don't have any NBA rings.  Neither does Charles Barkley, but he goes on TNT and runs his mouth all game long.  We all have a right to an opinion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Boy I started a thread about someone who is doing something good and all this thread has turned into is a bitch fest about why Shaq wanted more money and if he joined the police for the right reason.  Your all are some jaded folks.

Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack.  I saw a few people bringing up the usual "Shaq is such a great guy and Kobe is such an egomaniac" and I just wanted to address some of that.  I apologize.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#28]
HIV drip -fucking
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#29]
GLOCK FOTEEE
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Good post
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good post

Hmmm.  He took a paycut this year.  Maybe he didn't want to be with all the douches in LA?  I can hear the sound of tiny Laker violins.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#32]
He is a good guy with a good mamma. I remember seeing him at LSU when I was sneaking into bars out there. He coul hold a beer can in the palm of his hand...a true monster.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Or a big black guy on a power trip.  

Yeah, let's always assume the worst, because NO black man could ever just be a good guy, right?  

Not about him being black.

I just love how all of these people run to the SD or PD to 'help out'.  

I see that gleam in their eye when they talk about 'helping people'.  They just want to beat the fuck out of someone and get away with it.  Just want that gun on their hip and look all official.

To all those who think Shaq is on some sort of power trip ---- go jump in a lake.  He can smack down whoever he wants on the basketball court without risking getting shot.  I swear some folks would think Santa Claus climbed down chimneys because he was a voyeur.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]
A wolf in sheep's clothesing is still a wolf.
About 3 years ago Shaquille O'Neal converted to Islam.
Not just any Islam but the Nation of Islam, You know, Louis Farrakhan's boy's!!!!
Farrakhan has 20 years to get his people in key position's in our Govt, Millitery, & law inforcement.  Case point----   The family of  Malcom X had a law firm
reserch the death of Malcom.  A few years ago, evidence was  presented to Malcom's widow
that Louis Farrakhan may have been one of the gunmen that killed Malcom X.  Mrs X allegedly
made arrangements to extract revenge but was foiled by 2 FBI agents. The 2 FBI agents
just happens to be members of the Nation of Islam.   Coincidence?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I see.  So you work for the Lakers and know all this for a fact?  Didn't think so.  I suppose that's why he went to Miami and took a paycut.  Plain and simple, whether he took the paycut or not, Kobe Bryant is STILL a egomaniac.  He wanted to lead the Lakers and he got a chance.  And he delivered two things.  Jack and shit.  And Jack left town.  One doesn't need to read the sports pages or watch ESPN to know this.  You can read between the lines and see what's really happening.  You criticize the media for BS coverage yet you base your opinion of Shaq's assholeness based on something you read.  If you want to continue your love fest with Kobe go ahead and start another thread on Kobe-love.

Sorry for the hi-jack.  Everyone can go back to their debates about Shaq.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Ok  so what if he is Islamic.  His dad was in the army, after 9/11 he commited himself to combating terrorism and trying to stop crimes against kids.  I don't understand where the problem is.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Ok  so what if he is Islamic.  His dad was in the army, after 9/11 he commited himself to combating terrorism and trying to stop crimes against kids.  I don't understand where the problem is.

What the hell does that have to do with Shaq's politic's
Malcom X grandmother was white & that did not curv his hatrid for white people!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Kobe Bryant is STILL a egomaniac.  He wanted to lead the Lakers and he got a chance.  And he delivered two things.  Jack and shit.  And Jack left town.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1  Shaq is no ROP'er.  I never heard of an muslim named O'Neill.  

I don't follow the NBA, but even I've heard him talk a dozen times or more about his name.  His first and middle names Shaquille Rashaun mean "Little Warrior" in Islam.z

Err... that's in A-R-A-B-I-C, I-S-L-A-M is a RELIGON, Arabic is a language. (I'm not saying he's NOT Muslim, I don't know, don't care...[that's about anything about him, I stooped being a BB fan once Jerry Lucas retired (cousin)] - just clarifying is all.)

Quoted:

Quoted:
Now he just needs to take english amd and speaking lessons.

No thanks needed

That wa spart of the joke...

Nice recovery!

Quoted:
It's good to know you assume the worst about EVERYONE rather than just black people.  It makes me feel sooo much better.  
Look, you got NBA players getting arrested for drugs and assault, MLB players taking steroids, NFL guys beating up thier wives...and this one NBA player tries to do something to help out and you have to try to shit all over it.  Just give him the fucking benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise for Christ's sake.

Nah, celebs are just like queers to some folks, NO-WIN-SITUATION. Accept it no celeb can "do good". There's always some "agenda".

Quoted:

Quoted:
No italic's.

AND NO FRIGGIN' APOSTROPHES TO DENOTE PLURAL!!!

www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

Unless it's plural possessive. (That wasn't - I'm just sayin'....)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:29:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#43]
How does a guy with hands that big handle a G22?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top