Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Great pics. Love the helicopter..

Need to put my Shuttle ZX together. Bought it almost ten years ago and then things got screwed up and lost interest. I would like to use it to photograph  my camp.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Beautiful...  excellent photos.  

Just need to rig up a dropable tannerite charge which will detonate when it hits something.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont let the terrorist know about that. Sales will be up on RC equipment and prices will go up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
bookmarked   --  nice work.   What other R/C stuff have you done?

Is there a good, forgiving, electric, starter model heli (w/o camera)?  Is a circling hover that out of reach for a newbie?

The E-flite Blade CP is a good starter. 220 bux with everything in the box. Not very forgiving, but no heli's really are. Like trying to balance a ball bearing on a sheet of glass.

GT
BTW, outstanding shots! I haven't had any time to do any AP in a while. Guess I oughta put the spy plane up in the air again and see if there's any pools worth a low level flyover....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Awsome!

I would hate to know how much $$$ that would run.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Very Cool
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Awsome!

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say on the order of about 12 hundred dollars for the heli. Looked like GP3300 NIMH cells, figure about 7 bucks a cell, gonna guess at a minimum a JR6102 radio, so about another 180-200 bucks, camera---2-300 bucks, charger (If he's using a Triton, about 120bucks) and probably another 5 or six hundred dollars in parts lost to the learning curve. Not to mention a couple hundred hours of time to get it right.

GT
Flying RC is fucking tricky. Your perspective and the plane's orientation do not stay the same....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Logo 20 are like how much??
with a Brushless setup.

you know its alot
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats cool man .....I have a hirobo EVO .50 I'm not good enough to put my camera on it....reck the heli and be out a camera no thanks
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bookmarked   --  nice work.   What other R/C stuff have you done?

Is there a good, forgiving, electric, starter model heli (w/o camera)?  Is a circling hover that out of reach for a newbie?

The E-flite Blade CP is a good starter. 220 bux with everything in the box. Not very forgiving, but no heli's really are. Like trying to balance a ball bearing on a sheet of glass.Like trying to ride a unicycle on a basketball with out feeling what way the unicycle is leaning/falling

GT
BTW, outstanding shots! I haven't had any time to do any AP in a while. Guess I oughta put the spy plane up in the air again and see if there's any pools worth a low level flyover....

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
It ain't the heli that is spendy. Its that big Hacker motor, the Jeti controllers, the batteries and support equipment.....

I work at a hobby shop to support my airplane habit. When people walk in and see the kits, They are like "Cool! I can get a ducted fan Mig for a hundred bucks!" It is then that I have to explain to them that they should start with something that LIKES to fly. And even then, it's 250 bucks to get out the door with even the most basic set up.

GT
I think I need that T6 hanging from the roof. It's only 950 bucks......
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
This is the coolest thread i've ever seen here, period.

Friggen awesome.

Please do this again in late October.

HS1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Like trying to balance a ball bearing on a sheet of glass.Like trying to ride a unicycle on a basketball with out feeling what way the unicycle is leaning/falling

Nahh! Not that hard. I'm teaching myself how to fly them in my living room. Now I just need little speakers to blast Ride of the Valkyries while I swoop in on the cat!

Just remember, fly the nose of the heli and not the tail.  Right is right and left is left, unless you are coming towards yourself. Then front is back and left is right. And that gets reversed again when you are inverted.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Goddamn. The places I call home, while special in my heart, are about as ugly as it gets.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

Not sure I understand that statement.

It means you live in a damned nice lookin part of the country.
Ever see a field? like a tilled field of dirt or a wheat field?
Well, imagine that as far as you can see to the horizon in every direction.
Pretty much is where I live. A big flat peice of dirt with fields.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like trying to balance a ball bearing on a sheet of glass.Like trying to ride a unicycle on a basketball with out feeling what way the unicycle is leaning/falling

Nahh! Not that hard. I'm teaching myself how to fly them in my living room. Now I just need little speakers to blast Ride of the Valkyries while I swoop in on the cat!

Just remember, fly the nose of the heli and not the tail.  Right is right and left is left, unless you are coming towards yourself. Then front is back and left is right. And that gets reversed again when you are inverted.....

try a 10x 12 beedroom with all you shit in it.
I really need to get my piccolo flying again so not to lose my skillz.

but my current project is building a 8-9" rotor nano heli to fly in the dormroom
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
is that thing hard to fly?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Now all it needs is night vision.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]
How cheap can you get a live video feed with the RC aircraft alone, without anything else?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Awesome! Simply awesome.

Quoted:
That is pretty awesome, you have your own UAV.

Hell yeah, bring that thing to the Arizona/Mexashit border!!!

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Next time your out in CA I'll swing you buy the Playboy Mansion so you can fly that little critter into Hef's backyard....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#22]
awesome thread!

did you do your own carbon fiber work?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome!

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say on the order of about 12 hundred dollars for the heli. Looked like GP3300 NIMH cells, figure about 7 bucks a cell, gonna guess at a minimum a JR6102 radio, so about another 180-200 bucks, camera---2-300 bucks, charger (If he's using a Triton, about 120bucks) and probably another 5 or six hundred dollars in parts lost to the learning curve. Not to mention a couple hundred hours of time to get it right.

GT
Flying RC is fucking tricky. Your perspective and the plane's orientation do not stay the same....

That's what I was afraid of, actually thought about three grand. I'm tempted to get one of those basic helo kits to start practicing, cool hobby for sure!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

That's what I was afraid of, actually thought about three grand. I'm tempted to get one of those basic helo kits to start practicing, cool hobby for sure!

Get a sim first to see if it is something you got the thumbs for. I know some guys that have been "flying" for 20 years and can't keep an aircraft flying to save their life.

And you can do the E-flite blade link right out of the box. If you want a better battery, you can get a 3 cell thunder power 900mah pack for about 40 bucks. and a charger for another 40...

GT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a sim first to see if it is something you got the thumbs for. I know some guys that have been "flying" for 20 years and can't keep an aircraft flying to save their life.

And you can do the E-flite blade link right out of the box. If you want a better battery, you can get a 3 cell thunder power 900mah pack for about 40 bucks. and a charger for another 40...

GT

Yes, I've tooled around Microsoft flight sims, which included a helo. Thanks for the link, because the one I was looking at was about $6-700.00, so this one is alot cheaper and it's all I need.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice picts. I had an ECO 8 but sold it before I even tried to fly it., it was all carbon and aluminum and it would be very costly to crash. I am planning on getting a T-Rex micro heli to start with. I am pretty good with planes and can do OK with a heli on the sim.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Nice picts. I had an ECO 8 but sold it before I even tried to fly it., it was all carbon and aluminum and it would be very costly to crash. I am planning on getting a T-Rex micro heli to start with. I am pretty good with planes and can do OK with a heli on the sim.  

don't start with a Rex,

as before the blade EP is the cheap and easier intro in the bigger helis
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't need a RTR though. I already have the tx, rx, gyro and a few servos. Plus I have lipo batts that will fit in the T-rex
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't need a RTR though. I already have the tx, rx, gyro and a few servos. Plus I have lipo batts that will fit in the T-rex

well in that case go for it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:03:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Alright!
Now take that sucker to the beach..
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the link to the Blade CP... May have to get that since its a RTF model and  dont need anyting but batteries...  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:14:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Due to the vast number of questions on the thread and in IM's, I will clear up a few details here. Also, sorry i missed most of the q's from the night crew. I was busy working on the helicopter.

1. Yes, I understand what Specop_007 was talking about in his comment now. Thanks to EVERYBODY for clearing that up.

2. The total cost (not including my time) is getting close to three grand now.

3. Yes, it is extremely difficult to learn or do and exponentially harder when hauling camera equipment on board (don't try this at home).

4. Yes, I can do video too. I have a couple of short videos done but I don't have the time to edit them right now, so it will be a while before they are posted. The old video that was mentioned needs the soundtrack removed, and will be available soon.

5. The carbon fiber parts were bought in rough form and hand machined/fitted by me. It was extremely labor intensive. If you had to add up the cost of everything, including my labor, it would be well over six thousand dollars at this point. But, this is a hobby and I don't include labor in any of my actual cost calculations for hobbies.

6. If you want to learn RC helicopters, get a simulator first. Not Microsft FS, a good one like Reflex or Realflight G2 or G3. You won't believe how much money it will save you in crashes.

7. There are are gimbal camera mounts that are commercially available for this, but they are more expensive and heavier than mine.

8. Yes, I plan on having a pan and tilt function someday, as well as gyroscopic camera stabilization, but that stuff is EXTREMELY expensive, so it will be a while.

9. Yes, I will be taking some pics of the fall foliage this year and I will post them here if there is any interest. I will also be taking a lot more pics for the remainder of the summer, when time allows.

10. No, I don't plan on attaching any weapons (although I could), since AP'ers are being watched very closely by the feds right now.

11. The chopper is a Mikado Logo 20 and the motor is a Hacker brushless. (I though this was obvious, but..)

12. There are many more details on the link that I posted on the first page of this thread. It's several pages, but worth the read if you want details.

I hope this clears up most of the questions. I would be glad to answer more but please be patient. I have been inundated with IM's and emails lately. Looks like I started a friggin landslide.

Thanks for all the interest and compliments guys. It's nice to know that all the hard work is slowly paying off. It's a labor of love.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Man you just got my ass in gear. I have a Shuttle plus with a Futaba 9CHP and thought about using one of those tiny microcameras with a wireless setup.My radio has 2 extra sliders on the back of the radio.Thought about getting 2 of the tiny servos and use them for pan and tilt. I guess i need to get the camera and a wireless transmitter/receiver setup. I'm guessing the camera and servos won't weigh much but i wonder how much those transmitters and appropriate batteries will weight. I do find my heli flies more stable with the Ranger fuselage on it, so i guess if i take it off and mount the camera instead it should even out .Very cool pics you have taken. Thanks for the kick....

GlenR
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:46:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Man you just got my ass in gear. I have a Shuttle plus with a Futaba 9CHP and thought about using one of those tiny microcameras with a wireless setup.My radio has 2 extra sliders on the back of the radio.Thought about getting 2 of the tiny servos and use them for pan and tilt. I guess i need to get the camera and a wireless transmitter/receiver setup. I'm guessing the camera and servos won't weigh much but i wonder how much those transmitters and appropriate batteries will weight. I do find my heli flies more stable with the Ranger fuselage on it, so i guess if i take it off and mount the camera instead it should even out .Very cool pics you have taken. Thanks for the kick....

GlenR

You have no idea what kind of frustration you're in for.

Actually you may want to rethink the pan function. If you plan on operating the chopper and the camera as a single man operation, you don't need a pan function at all. You can pan using the chopper, and you won't get the struts in the shot that way as well. I don't use tilt either, but it would be useful. Just remember, the pilot workload is already extremely high. Adding camera control into the mix more than doubles the complexity. Also, remember about weight and balance. The CG will change, depending on where you mount the gear. This is extremely complex stuff. Take it one step at a time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I have heard of people using 3 gyros to make the heli super stable. Same idea as the tail gyro but  mounted verticle for both aileron controls (forward/rearwards and left/right). Funny thing about my heli experience is that everyone told me it would be imposible to learn to fly without a gyro but i had no problems at all.I guess all those years playing video games helped alot. I flew for a half a year 2 years ago just hovering without it .Then got a GY401 last year and it was like gravy.Flew all of last year and never crashed once.This year i took it out at spring time during a bit too much wind at crashed it for the first time.It just went straight up when the wind came , i came off throttle a bit and the wind stopped.Thing came straight down hard as hell and had a tailboom strike. Luckily i didn't have the fuselage on it.I put it back together and haven't flown it since. I find the most important part of it all is adjusting everthing including the 9CHP. I hate the front mounted gas tank on the shuttle.CG is constantly changing as fuel gets burned. I need to take it out and get it adjusted right.Have to do it on asphalt though so it slides on the gear. Maybe this weekend. Now i'll be back to hovering for a while i think till i get used to it again.
GlenR
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#38]
awesome stuff but ya gotta paint that sucker air force grey/blue for that "stealth" factor!!!

they weren't kidding when they said dod has spent $80mil for the same thing you got and i bet their pix ain't near as purty!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
awesome stuff but ya gotta paint that sucker air force grey/blue for that "stealth" factor!!!

they weren't kidding when they said dod has spent $80mil for the same thing you got and i bet their pix ain't near as purty!

Actually it should be a bright color like yellow or orange, for visibility. It's very hard to see when it's way up there.

I wish mine could do the things theirs can.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

well....theirs has two way satellite coms/controls and autonomous flight, takeoff and landing....and is capable of weapons deployment. Just a few differences
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GT

Yes, I've tooled around Microsoft flight sims, which included a helo. Thanks for the link, because the one I was looking at was about $6-700.00, so this one is alot cheaper and it's all I need.

You need an RC specific sim. It is not the same to use a regular flight sim. Also, forget about any flight training being applicable to RC aircraft. I love to hand my TX and control over my IFO to some hotshot that has been "flying since I was 6" and watching them pile into the ground over and over and over.

If you go with the blade, see if there is any one at the hobby shop that will get it set up for you. Sometimes they ain't right from the factory. If the guy at the LHS is worth a shit, he will be able to at least help you with basic set up and trimming.

GT
Hobby shop guy
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Here's a couple of gratuitous gun pics thrown in for some fun.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Here's a couple of gratuitous gun pics thrown in for some fun.

www.personal.psu.edu/staff/c/w/cwd10/Picture%20folder/Helicam/21.jpg

www.personal.psu.edu/staff/c/w/cwd10/Picture%20folder/Helicam/22.jpg

Do the noodles on the skids support enough weight while floating?  I know, it is a totally crazy idea.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Tag to show my RC pilot Dad.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#45]
"Do the noodles on the skids support enough weight while floating? I know, it is a totally crazy idea."

I haven't tried it yet but others have, and they say it works. The big difference is that they aren't hauling a 2-1/2 lb payload.

I plan on trying it (by hand) in a kiddie pool some time this summer. I won't be doing it with the chopper powerd up or with any camera equipment on board though. I'll just add some ballast, in place of it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
"Do the noodles on the skids support enough weight while floating? I know, it is a totally crazy idea."

I haven't tried it yet but others have, and they say it works. The big difference is that they aren't hauling a 2-1/2 lb payload.

I plan on trying it (by hand) in a kiddie pool some time this summer. I won't be doing it with the chopper powerd up or with any camera equipment on board though. I'll just add some ballast, in place of it.

If the noodles are hollow, as most are, they float much better if they are sealed on the ends.  Just a thought.  I hope it works!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#47]
It probably wouldn't do any good to seal the ends. The problem is that the tops are split all the way, end to end to acommodate the skids and struts. If any water got into the top, it would just fill up the cavity anyway. Even so, being closed cell foam, there should be enough bouyancy to keep it up, I hope.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#48]
what's the max flight-time under electric power?

Would an electric motor fit that bird as an upgrade, or does it require a completely different chassis?
I figure one can get a LOT more flight time with a gas motor, especially with some extra tanks; ie, in place of the batteries, if an alternator is possible (which would also allow you to increase range significantly by boosting the signal).

Edit: thinking out loud: would a little .22 rifle fit that mount (with the camera mounted), and could one put a selenoid on the trigger?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#49]
tg
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#50]
That is too cool!  where in Pa?? I'm guessing mid to western?  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top