User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#1]
n/m Sarge beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
This is pathetic.

Any REAL hunter understands it is not the kill that is important. If you don't understand this, you will never understand an explaination.

The kil is anticlimatic for me. It is when the hunt ends and the work begins.

I cannot understand how this can be such a devisive topic.......I repeat pathetic
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:22:29 AM EDT
[#3]
That was killin'.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Together we stand, or divided we fall.

We've been falling for a long time.

TRG

How true.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Controlled hunting is not hunting .

All hunting is "controlled."  

I am not going to argue semantics, you know what I meant.

Pushing an animal in front of a loaded gun isnt hunting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I think it would be great fun to hunt buffalo as Kevin Costner did in Dances With Wolves. Unfortunately our ancestors killed off the great big herds and there simply aren't enough wild open spaces for them to exist again. They spanned the entire country at one point. Parts of their traditional migratory routes were as wide  as a modern four lane  highway. But all of that is gone forever, barring some sort of elaborate buffalo restoration program on a scale that dwarfs all current animal protection schemes combined. The remaining buffalo are semi-wild at best.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#11]
"The OLN Buff hunt"

I MYSELF wouldn't want to hunt like that but to other people that is an exciting hunt.  i dont use bow an arrow i use rifle so some people would say that isn't hunting its just killing all i  have to say to them is that if they put on as many miles as i have to get the animals i've shot and have had to try shooting out of breath and arms fully pumped with adrenaline the difficulty degree goes up a little more than they'd think. Trg +1 on the culling thing used to do that with coon for my coonhounds all the time never lost a wink of sleep over it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hunting over a bowl of cheerios is pretty much culling, or maybe an "exercise in bladder control"

If you're not moving to find the game, or trying to set up in area where the game may pass through is it hunting? I don't know, I don't have a problem with calling in game, that requires a skill to get the buggers to come into you, but just putting out the picnic basket and waiting-->

Most deer hunting is done from stands. Is it hunting?

How does one move “to find the game” when dove or duck hunting.

If you buy the license and follow the rules it is hunting in any modern context.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#13]
The only hunters who impress me are ethical bowhunters.

Chuck Adams is the guy I try to emulate.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:57:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Hunting just doesn't do it for me.  Its borning and lame.  Itsa PITA to get rid of the thing after I killed it and did I mention its boring.  Outsmarting animals just doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment to me.  Plus as was mentioned its overmatch, me gun, deer....nothing  Give me a knife and then let me try and kill something, now thats a bit more fair wouldn't you say?

+1 on all the anti-black rifle emler fuds.  I know not all are like that, but they really are half the problem.  Most of the time these are the same guys who shoot their rifles twice a year, once to "sight it in"  gee did you use it all that much since the last time? and once to shoot their game.

Hunting is boring, everyone (human lives)  Just like sports...boring.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is pathetic.

Any REAL hunter understands it is not the kill that is important. If you don't understand this, you will never understand an explaination.

The kil is anticlimatic for me. It is when the hunt ends and the work begins.

I cannot understand how this can be such a devisive topic.......I repeat pathetic

I see you are ashamed to admit to being a hunter.  If the kill is not important, then why do you carry a gun?

Fair chase means the animal is in its natural enviroment and has its normal range, senses and ability to escape.  The method means little to me and some are not my cup of tea, but culture plays a huge role in what is "ethical".  What is done proudly for generations, may be frowned upon and illegal a few miles away  over a state line.

Yup, slam hunters, but then you wonder why "hunters" don't worry about your/my black rifles at election time?

I love my EBR, AK's etc and I love to hunt, so I love my shotguns, and bolt guns as well.  Guns were made to kill and while all the other firearm sports have grown up around guns that don't require bloodshed, I think non-hunting gunowners miss out and truly don't understand and respect their firearm fully.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The only hunters who impress me are ethical bowhunters.

I doubt seriously you bowhunt as much as me, and I cannot figure out why it would matter to you the method used to harvest any animal except for "your" animal and "your" choice of weapon.

I know alot of hunters I respect that only hunt with rifles.
The method used to perform the act is such a small part of the experience....granted for me shooting a doe with my bow means way more than another 120 in. buck with a gun. Matter of fact I would be sick if I shot a 120in. buck with a bow or gun. There is no reason for for me to feel unimpressed, if someone who doesn't share my personal expectations, harvests an animal that I would pass on.

It is a personal deal......between you and nature.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Cavemen would say that without spears its not hunting. So by that definition no, its not hunting. (Actually cavement would say "hoooo haaa heee grrrappagoo!"

Now I can't get Gary Larsons "The Far Side" comics out of my head.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I Don't see any point in hunting buffalo. They are not afraid of us, so a hunter could walk right up to one and kill it. That is not sporting, I don't care what anyone says. I saw a boar hunt on ESPN a few years ago that was a fucking joke. They were in Georgia and the wild hogs were actually pretty tame. It was obvious to me that the hogs were not afraid of the hunters. They probably thought it was dinner time. Any way the guide and great white ESPN hunter were making a big deal out of stalking these hogs, yes they were whispering about how dangerous these hogs were when cornered, and of course breathing hard and sweating. The hogs appeared bored(no pun intended) and were just standing around watching these dumbshits. It was almost funny. I should have taped it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hunting just doesn't do it for me.  Its borning and lame.  Itsa PITA to get rid of the thing after I killed it and did I mention its boring.  Outsmarting animals just doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment to me.  Plus as was mentioned its overmatch, me gun, deer....nothing  Give me a knife and then let me try and kill something, now thats a bit more fair wouldn't you say?

+1 on all the anti-black rifle emler fuds.  I know not all are like that, but they really are half the problem.  Most of the time these are the same guys who shoot their rifles twice a year, once to "sight it in"  gee did you use it all that much since the last time? and once to shoot their game.

Hunting is boring, everyone (human lives)  Just like sports...boring.

If you say hunting is boring, I would guess you aren't doing it right. There is nothing as thrilling for me as a good Elk stalk. Walking as quiet as you can through the trees but moving fast enough not to lose the herd is very challenging.

Where we hunt at 10,000 there aren't established routes, so we have to cover lots of territory to find our prey.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I see you are ashamed to admit to being a hunter.  If the kill is not important, then why do you carry a gun?

Fair chase means the animal is in its natural enviroment and has its normal range, senses and ability to escape.  The method means little to me and some are not my cup of tea, but culture plays a huge role in what is "ethical".  What is done proudly for generations, may be frowned upon and illegal a few miles away  over a state line.

Yup, slam hunters, but then you wonder why "hunters" don't worry about your/my black rifles at election time?

I love my EBR, AK's etc and I love to hunt, so I love my shotguns, and bolt guns as well.  Guns were made to kill and while all the other firearm sports have grown up around guns that don't require bloodshed, I think non-hunting gunowners miss out and truly don't understand and respect their firearm fully.

I hunt EASILY over 100 days a year.
Hell will I go on more than 30 days this year on out of state and instate guides hunts.

I have kill more animals with ALL kinds of guns.......hell I've killed over 100 deer with a .223, and I haven't hunted with a .223 in 15 years.

I think that it is pathetic that WE, GUN OWNERS, ague amongst ourselves about this shit.

I LOVE all hunters.
I LOVE all gun owners.

I HATE all HATERS.....whether they are hatin on my guns, my bows, or because I hunt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Hunting is all about being quiet and invisible amongst your surroundings.  That feeling alone constitutes 75% of the hunt.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ROFLMAO!

Hunters are as tough on each other as gun owners.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it.

The archer scoffs at the rifleman.

The rifleman derides the semi-auto shooter.

The blackpowder man laughs at smokeless shooters.

The wood and inlay man grumbles about the blackrifle hunter.

Together we stand, or divided we fall.

We've been falling for a long time.

TRG

And they all scoff at me when I use claymoores with trip wires
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

TV hunting....  

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunting over a bowl of cheerios is pretty much culling, or maybe an "exercise in bladder control"

If you're not moving to find the game, or trying to set up in area where the game may pass through is it hunting? I don't know, I don't have a problem with calling in game, that requires a skill to get the buggers to come into you, but just putting out the picnic basket and waiting-->

Most deer hunting is done from stands. Is it hunting?

Not, in my opinion, if your stand is in a tree above a salt lick or feeder

How does one move “to find the game” when dove or duck hunting.

I think I covered duck calls, don't know anything about dove hunting

If you buy the license and follow the rules it is hunting in any modern context.

So if I go to some eastern european country with no game laws and use a claymore or laser guided bomb on a rabbit, that'd be hunting as long as it's legal?

<edit> That actually might be kind of fun

Oh come be serious...

What if the deer stand is on a trail that leads to a feeding area?

We are not talking about claymore or laser guided bombs... but if you want to take that in to account, how is that any different from a 12 gauge shotgun. You really think it makes a difference to the rabbit.

Unless the intent is to go back to stone age weapons this whole argument is laughable… in modern context if you pay the fees and follow the rule it is all hunting.

It no more unethical or immoral to shoot a buffalo on a staged/canned hunt than it is to go to the store and buy a beef steak.

This is argument for people with to much time on their hands… but that fits about everything here.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's hunting, and then there's fat guy hunting.

Do you know how many fat people die each year of heart attacks while hunting?

How about? -> If you run the risk of starving if you fail, then it is hunting.

No hunter I have ever met fit that definition in the last 40 years.

People hunt no a days because they enjoy it, not for the food.

SGatr15

Not true.

There was a time when all I had to eat was the deer meat in my freezer.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
first off, i've never hunted anything bigger than a squirrel or crow (.mil doesn't count) but i have nothing against it and would really like to bag a grizz someday.

i'm watching oln's "benelli's greatest hunts" or something like that. these guys are hunting buffalo, the american kind. they ride up on a trail on their atv's then hoof it to this clearing where there are 3 buffs standing around munching grass. they're about 5-600 yds away. the hunters get all stealthy and start moving towards the buff at a crouch. actually, they weren't all that stealthy. the buff saw them and were just kinda looking at them chewing their cud. these fuckers got up to about 90 yds of the buff...still being watched. the guy sets up all excited and talking in rushed whispers and lets fly *booom* the round impacts the bull and the fucking thing just stands there! it takes a kinda step but that's it. so *booom* another round and it's still standing there looking at the shooters! it took 3 rds to put that fucker down from 90yds.

so, another show, i think "beretta's world of hunting", these two guys are running powerlines and they see a buck bedded down late in the day. you can barely see it from the trail but these guys shoot it and kill it on the spot. all you see is the head drop down.

is this hunting??? i saw another show with some south african who was up in canada hunting bear and these two guys actually stalked it, chased it, ambushed it and shot it. that was a real hunt to me. they had to read the animal, try and get in its head, and stalk it in order to get close enough to kill it. same with stand hunting. you have to guess where the deer is gonna be, then you have to lie quietly or do your calls to get it in close enough for the shot. but those first two...they just seemed like canned hunts to me...

what do the hunters here say?

I didn't read all four pages, so sorry if it has been said, but that buffalo took three shots from a 45-70
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There's hunting, and then there's fat guy hunting.

Do you know how many fat people die each year of heart attacks while hunting?

How about? -> If you run the risk of starving if you fail, then it is hunting.

No hunter I have ever met fit that definition in the last 40 years.

People hunt no a days because they enjoy it, not for the food.

SGatr15

Not true.

What do you expect from a cat loving man from CA who play with dolls.

I bet he considers a trip to Starbucks an safari.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'am anti-hunting just because most hunters are anti black rifle

WTF?

I'm a nut when it comes to hunting and I love the black rifle too...

What is the saying?   Hang together or we will surely hang seperately...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not true.

That is absolutely true for my wife and I--by choice.  We simply LOVE venison and absolutely never haul home red meat from the grocery store.  As long as we are able to legally kill adequate numbers of deer to feed us, we will do so.  Last year we killed eight deer, hunting in two states--all legal and not much no thought given to whether it was "real" hunting by some non-hunter's definition.  

I know several families whose entire meat consumption (except for what they eat out) for a year is based on what they take hunting, catch fishing, or raise.

When I take a animal that is not for vermin control I almost always eat it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Mmmmm, fresh Buffalo. Sure beats eating fox that was chewed to pieces by a pack of hounds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:55:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snapping turtles

You eat snapping turtles?

Very tasty...
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I have to admit that I have never seen anyone whip up snapping turtle tacos (or whatever you do with them).

I'm scared to ask what happens to any skunks you come across...

Well it is pretty clear you don’t know any Cajuns. If they can catch it they will eat it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat

The ones that impress me are barehanded hog hunters.  Dog bays the hog, hunter goes in and grabs it by the legs.

TRG

This is the only way to hunt hawgs!
Yeah, if any of ya'll want to experience a real adrenaline filled hunt, come on down here and I will take you hawg hunting armed with nothing but your hands and some duct tape. We go out at night, find hawg sign, let the bay dawgs loose on it and they run the hawg till it corners up and turns to fight. Then you let the catch dawgs on him and while they hold him by the nose and/or ears you run in grab him by the hind legs and flip him on his side. Kneel on the neck to keep him from cutting you up and duct tape his legs togather. After that its just a matter of getting him to the truck, which usually invovles a lot of humping a big ass hawg through the river swamp in the dark to get back to where you left the truck.

We take and pen them up and use them to train pups. We also sell the bigger boars to yankee lawyers and such from Atlanta so that they can have a impressive Boar head on the wall.  Some we feed out and BBQ at a  later date.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have to admit that I have never seen anyone whip up snapping turtle tacos (or whatever you do with them).

I'm scared to ask what happens to any skunks you come across...

Well it is pretty clear you don’t know any Cajuns. If they can catch it they will eat it.

I guess around here people'll poach before they eat turtles.

No joking turtle is good. You can get in the markets in LA.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top