Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Good Samaritan law in Florida says no liability unless "reckless disregard" very difficult standard to prove.

Also, as other posted noted - you should always single out a person get their attention, tell him/her to call 911 and get confirmation that they will do it. Otherwise, you get a bunch of people just standing around watching.

Good job
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Would you be prepared to assist in an accident involving a pedestrian being hit by a Tundra at 40 mph (the drivers claimed speed, not smart especially since the speed limit there was 35)?  Or do you need to brush up on your medical skills?

-Ben    

EDITED for clarity on some asked questions. (And I did have latex/medical gloves in my med kit)

Yes.   Just did a couple Red Cross classes and certifications, have med kit in car
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Point 1. Designate someone to call 911. Do not just say"Someone call 911". Assign it to a person and get an affirmative response. "You! Go call 911 right now!"

Point 2. The only way to get sued is to exceed the level of your training, (first responder trying open heart massage), or gross negligence, (putting a tourniquet around the patients neck).

Point 3. If you aren't trained...get some basic first aid training! Ain't nothing worse than watching a chld die and not knowing what to do to help them.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorta off topic, but as sick as it is, I feel kinda good inside knowing this bad incident brought about the first topic for me to post that got past page one.  This is cause for celebration or something.

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorta off topic, but as sick as it is, I feel kinda good inside knowing this bad incident brought about the first topic for me to post that got past page one.  This is cause for celebration or something.

-Ben

It's interesting and something that could happen to any of us.  It's raised a couple of key points:
1.  How to handle/take charge in a crisis situation where others are standing around being useless.
2.  Where (and with what qualifications and also with what legal ramifications) do people draw the line at where they will and won't help with medical aid?

For example, (assuming the person is a stranger):

I wouldn't hesitate to perform CPR in a drowning situation.

I would staunch minor bleeding, basically showing the person what to do (direct pressure, etc.)

I wouldn't feel confident in dealing with someone who might have head/spinal injuries, broken ribs that might cause internal organ damage if I mess around with their torsos, vomiting and lots of blood.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Law.   Suit.

My brother is a doctor.  He has malpractice insurance.

I, however, do not.

You did good, from what it sounds like, and hopefully people in Idaho don't go suing good samaritans at the drop of a penny, but I'd be afraid to touch the guy.

Oh yeah, I also don't have any formal medical training that would make me feel qualified enough to mess with a situation like that.  I also fear HIV and Hepatitis and other random blood diseases.

Nice job on your part.

p.s. Not to be off-topic, but why the wimpy caliber for the carry piece?

Most states have good samaritan laws, and from what the rescuer said he was acting in GOOD FAITH so the law will protect him from liability.

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Oly,
I do recall you were talking about  car vs.ped. I was just using those examples to show that not everything is as the book and science says it should  be. Over the last decade or so I've seen a lot of instances that can only be chalked up to luck or divine intervention depending on you belief system but on the other hand I've seen deaths I can't figure out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Rockhard,
BTW I forgot to say good job instead of rubbernecking like the rest of the herd you stopped and gave help where help was needed.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top