Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2001 1:51:50 PM EDT
I am getting closer to deciding what my next child will be but still need some advice.  So, any feelings[?]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 1:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Having one of each I would have to say, and you'll hear it from others, get both.  However for the first one I would get the '10.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#2]
AR10 is a very accurate and ergonomic rifle, easy to field strip if you are familiar with the AR system. Accessories are easy to find, but spare parts are expensive.  It can be a bit fussy with ammo, particularly milsurp, and the magazines are very expensive.
M1A is also accurate, though it lacks the potential accuracy of the AR10, and is comparatively light and handy for a 308.  It has the best iron sights of any military semiauto IMHO. It is also very reliable.  On the negative side, it is complicated to disassemble and requires a special lube, whereas the AR10 can make due with normal gun oil. Mags are expensive (though not as expensive as AR10 mags), spare parts are readily available but accessories run to the expensive side.
It's a hard decision, depends on what's more important to you.  If accuracy is your main concern, the AR10 is more accurate and easier to scope.  If reliability is your main concern, the M1A will feed most milsurp 7.62x51 where the AR10 may or may not.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#5]
When I lived in Canada, I used to own a Winchester M14 with selector lock, not an M1A. What a beaut rifle it was. Long before all these fucken gun laws! (1985).

I loved that rifle, but I reckon I'd go with an AR-10. Seen some Dutch contract ones, and really an intersting rifle. The daddy of the Ar15.

Yanks, enjoy your rifles and your rights. Never take them for granted, and never let what happened here in Australia happen in your Country. We all know about government hidden agendas! Too late here, the damage is done.

Good shooting!
1feral1
Sydney
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
AR10 is a very accurate and ergonomic rifle, easy to field strip if you are familiar with the AR system. Accessories are easy to find, but spare parts are expensive.  It can be a bit fussy with ammo, particularly milsurp, and the magazines are very expensive.
M1A is also accurate, though it lacks the potential accuracy of the AR10, and is comparatively light and handy for a 308.  It has the best iron sights of any military semiauto IMHO. It is also very reliable.  On the negative side, it is complicated to disassemble and requires a special lube, whereas the AR10 can make due with normal gun oil. Mags are expensive (though not as expensive as AR10 mags), spare parts are readily available but accessories run to the expensive side.
It's a hard decision, depends on what's more important to you.  If accuracy is your main concern, the AR10 is more accurate and easier to scope.  If reliability is your main concern, the M1A will feed most milsurp 7.62x51 where the AR10 may or may not.
View Quote

Yeah, what he said.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, M1A.  If money is a concern, SA.  If not, SA receiver built up by Fulton Armory.  I have two SA M1A's and [b]LOVE[/b] them both!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're looking for a sniper-type rifle then I have to say go with the AR10, as much as it pains me. It's a well-known fact that the average AR-type rifle is more accurate out of the box than the average M1A.

Now, if it's an infantry rifle you want, then the M1A wins that hands down. Iron sights that approach the accuracy of a scope, reliability and dependability second to none, and sturdy steel mags that will last for years are all points in its favor. And yes, it is [b]a bit[/b] more complicated to fieldstrip than an AR15 is, but let's be realistic here - you don't [b]need[/b] to fieldstrip an M1A as part of its daily cleaning. Lock the bolt back, swab the bore, use the toothbrush on the bolt face and receiver grooves, then put a couple drops of LSA or a dab of grease on the bolt roller and op rod spring, and you're good to go. Total elapsed time: Maybe 2 minutes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top