Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
In all seriousness, my shotguns don't get all that dirty, but I see serious potential here for cleaning up my inline muzzleloader.

Thanks O_P
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Great use for the old "cooter cork"

Cooter-cork . . . that's one for my next conversation with Mrs. Disconnector

Ol' Painless, you got big balls man.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is a worthy discussion....because I believe that WD-40 has absolutely no business around any firearms.

That's what makes horse races.......difference of opinion.  

I've been using WD-40 for 40+ years with absolutely no problems and absolutely no "varnish build-up".

It's great stuff as a solvent.

But, to each his own......

I think the problem OP came from old timers in my department that would spray the WD on their revolvers and not wipe the stuff off or just barely wipe it off.  Over time it would tend to build up.  

But obviously this type of thing would probably happen with any type of lube or cleaner if not done correctly.

That's why I became a firm believer in spraying down the barrel with Action degreaser after a cleaning.

Here's a question....what do you use to get out the real stubborn plastic wadding buildup?   I've bored and bored.  I don't want to use anything too caustic but I can't seem to get the real stubborn stuff out.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#4]
if the bbl is really dirty, can we use Heavy Flow Tampax?

OP, what kind of cleaner/ lube did you use for the inside of the bbl?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In the long run, it's cheaper to use a shotgun patch holder.

Link

Not really.

That thing's $12.

I can buy a lot of Tampax for $12.  Nearly a life-time supply.

God help me for looking this up, but...

An 80-pak of Taxpax is about $10.

1,000 3" patches is $40 or less. Add $10 for the patch holder, and it's about $50.

The same number of tampons would cost a small fortune.

And note most of the tampon is wasted. The vast majority of it never touches the bore.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh God I can't wait to ask my girlfriend for a tampon to clean my shotgun with. She'll have a fun time with that one.

ETA: I wanted to say thanks for bringing worthwhile discussion/tips to us.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In all seriousness, my shotguns don't get all that dirty, but I see serious potential here for cleaning up my inline muzzleloader.

Thanks O_P

If you will try my method, you will be amazed at what comes out of the barrel.

It's dirtier than you might think.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think the problem OP came from old timers in my department that would spray the WD on their revolvers and not wipe the stuff off or just barely wipe it off.  Over time it would tend to build up.

I knew an old police officer that sprayed his loaded revolver every now and then.  One day we went to the range and he tried to fire it.  All six rounds failed to fire.

WD-40 is a primer killer.

I spray it on and carefully wipe it all off.  I use it as a solvent, not a lubricant. And I don't let it anywhere near primers.

Here's a question....what do you use to get out the real stubborn plastic wadding buildup?   I've bored and bored.  I don't want to use anything too caustic but I can't seem to get the real stubborn stuff out.

Honestly, I always use this method when I get in from the field and have never had any "build-up".

But I bet carberator cleaner would be good for that.  Maybe someone else has an idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Tampons are pretty expensive to be doing that - right girls???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1,000 3" patches is $40 or less. Add $10 for the patch holder, and it's about $50.

And note most of the tampon is wasted. The vast majority of it never touches the bore.

And once again, Mattja reminds us of why it usually isn't worth the effort to try to share something on this board.

No matter how much trouble you go to, posting pictures and everything, someone will come along and piss on your thread and complain that your method doesn't work or that it's stupid.

I give up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is a worthy discussion....because I believe that WD-40 has absolutely no business around any firearms.

That's what makes horse races.......difference of opinion.  

I've been using WD-40 for 40+ years with absolutely no problems and absolutely no "varnish build-up".

It's great stuff as a solvent.

But, to each his own......

wd-40 is like kerosene, and hoppe's is too(it actually has kerosene in it) People have been useing that for many many years, wd-40 will not leave a coating on either, if you use it op does it's fine but it really has no protective abilites to it, and it's lubricity sucks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It has a tendency to break down and begin to "varnish" and gum up.  Some absolutely believe it is a great cleaner and lubricator, others (like myself) have come to believe its better used to fix squeeky doors and chains.

If you were going to use it I would recommend following the whole procedure with action degreaser, gun scrubber, or even carb cleaner down the barrel to remove all traces of the WD 40.  I do this anyway to remove any cleaners or solvents.  

Barrels are best shot clean and dry.  

I hope you aren't recommending no oil in your barrels.
I'm not advocating excess oil.  Just not a dry metal inside.
I always run a mop of Hoppe's #9, followed by a couple dry patches, to put a thin film of protectant on the barrel.  
Nothing worse than a rusty, pitted barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#13]
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO wrong.
Using WD40 to clean a gun..........
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Barrels are best shot clean and dry.  

I hope you aren't recommending no oil in your barrels.
I'm not advocating excess oil.  Just not a dry metal inside.
I always run a mop of Hoppe's #9, followed by a couple dry patches, to put a thin film of protectant on the barrel.  
Nothing worse than a rusty, pitted barrel.

Yes I am.  But then again, I'm sure that our foray into the world of shooting are two different animals.  

That said, it would depend on a variety of factors in keeping a dry barrel:

How long between shooting sessions?
How humid is your storage area?
What is your definition of clean (how much copper, lead, powder are you leaving in)
etc, etc, etc

A good alternative to a wet storage barrel is a type of paper that repels moisture (any one know what this is called) that is rolled up in little tubes and inserted in the barrel.  Most guns ship in this type of paper.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Simply priceless.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I will stick to my Tico Tool.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What do you do when your kotex catches on fire?

Throw it on the ground and tampon it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#18]
VPI paper, that's what I was trying to think of.  Good stuff for storage of the gun.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thanks, Sniper_Wolfe.

I appreciate the kind words.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The old WD40 was great for use on firearms I had taken hunting (make sure all moisture was out.) But I always wiped it out good and used a real oil afterwards. I always used Hoppe's after WD40 for cleaning anyways.

WD40 changed their formula (WD41 now?) which makes it less flammable, I ahve also found it to be less than great for fixing water problems in firearms

But like I said earlier, I don't clean my shotgun, only my rifles and pistols
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#21]
What kind of shotgun is it?  Tag for the great info.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Sniper_Wolfe.

Keep 'em coming.  More people enjoy these threads, but don't always speak up.   Its the naysayers and goons that always have to pitch in their 2 cents that always post.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What kind of shotgun is it?  Tag for the great info.

It's a Mossberg Maverick 88 that I bought at Academy for $136.  I cut the barrel off to 19 inches (to make the cut in the front of a vent rib post) and re-blued the crown.

It shoots great and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Never thought we would see "The cotton pony of truth"...

Good advice, O_P, except that I like my advice no strings attached.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The old WD40 was great for use on firearms I had taken hunting (make sure all moisture was out.) But I always wiped it out good and used a real oil afterwards. I always used Hoppe's after WD40 for cleaning anyways.

WD40 changed their formula (WD41 now?) which makes it less flammable, I ahve also found it to be less than great for fixing water problems in firearms

It's damn near useless as a field expedient flamethrower now  .  The old formula was perfect for torching creepie-crawlies (spiders) & winged terrors (wasps, etc).

Sanitary napkins work as a wound dressing also.  I keep a few in the auto first aid kit.  They're sterile & sealed & practically free (as long as the woman of the house doesn't notice the inventory shrinkage...)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's damn near useless as a field expedient flamethrower now  .  The old formula was perfect for torching creepie-crawlies (spiders) & winged terrors (wasps, etc).

Sanitary napkins work as a wound dressing also.  I keep a few in the auto first aid kit.  They're sterile & sealed & practically free (as long as the woman of the house doesn't notice the inventory shrinkage...)

Boxers and wrestlers stuff them up their noses when to stop bleeding, had a coach in HS that would use them, It was a great incentive to not get hit in the nose.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, Sniper_Wolfe.

Keep 'em coming.  More people enjoy these threads, but don't always speak up.  

Thanks, IchWarrior.

I'll try to remember that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
What about scented versus unscented tampons?

My wife once asked me to pick up some feminine hygiene products for her.

I wandered up and down that isle for like 30 minutes trying to figure out what I should buy....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#29]
The tampon I can understand, not that I will try it, but WD-40 on a firearm?

That is just wrong.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, Sniper_Wolfe.

Keep 'em coming.  More people enjoy these threads, but don't always speak up.  

I'll pile on.  O_P, I can't think of any other poster who brings more original, interesting and well-document firearms related content to the board.  Always enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing.

And I think the economy argument is specious anyhow.  Sure, you can get 1000 shotgun patches, but it usually takes a half dozen of them (or more) to get the barrel as clean as you did with one tampon.  

The muzzle-loader application is another good idea.  Now you've got me wondering where else I can use tampons in firearm-related applications.  I might have to call CVS and find out what different bore sizes they carry.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:02:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Before black powder season I am going to use a tampax ultra for cleaning my Thompson
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#32]
You guys....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:11:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'll pile on.  O_P, I can't think of any other poster who brings more original, interesting and well-document firearms related content to the board.  Always enjoy your posts, thanks for sharing.

Many thanks.  It keeps me out of the pool halls.

And I think the economy argument is specious anyhow.  Sure, you can get 1000 shotgun patches, but it usually takes a half dozen of them (or more) to get the barrel as clean as you did with one tampon.  

That is my opinion also.

The muzzle-loader application is another good idea.  Now you've got me wondering where else I can use tampons in firearm-related applications.  I might have to call CVS and find out what different bore sizes they carry.  

Good idea.

My daughter, who likes to save money, suggested to me that I look at Walmart for the "house brand" tampons and save a little money.

I think I'll just give her some money and send her on that errand.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Makes me wonder if a woman invented the Boresnake?

An OB for OP....hmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#36]
holy crap.

Do you clean your shotguns at the range too?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Great idea O_P.  If I get a 12ga, I'll be certain to try that.  

On a more procurement oriented note, if you are going to buy certain feminine stopper-type products, it would save embarassment to hit the wallyworld supercenter late in the day and use the self scan...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And once again, Mattja reminds us of why it usually isn't worth the effort to try to share something on this board.

No matter how much trouble you go to, posting pictures and everything, someone will come along and piss on your thread and complain that your method doesn't work or that it's stupid.

I give up.

Dont  give up, O-P !  Some people jsut dont do all the math...

Hell, in less than 2 minutes I found tampons online for 9¢ each.  That's 90$ for 1000 swabs.

I could clean 1000 shotgun barrels for 9¢ each!

If I go MATTJA's  route I could buy the patch holder for $11 and then I buy 1000 3" patches
for $48.

Thats 4.8¢ each !

But then we need to factor in REALITY...

You know damn well that most people dont use just one patch...   they are too thin!!

Most people use 3 patches at a time when doing shotguns...   I have seen it myself.

Thats 14.4 ¢ for each application!  But now I only have enough swabs to do approx.
330 barrels...

To do 1000 barrels would cost $144 !!

Thanks again, O_P for the useful and penny saving tips

Keep up the good work!

LB

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Dont  give up, O-P !  Some people jsut dont do all the math...

Hell, in less than 2 minutes I found tampons online for 9¢ each.  That's 90$ for 1000 swabs.

I could clean 1000 shotgun barrels for 9¢ each!

If I go MATTJA's  route I could buy the patch holder for $11 and then I buy 1000 3" patches
for $48.

Thats 4.8¢ each !

But then we need to factor in REALITY...

You know damn well that most people dont use just one patch...   they are too thin!!

Most people use 3 patches at a time when doing shotguns...   I have seen it myself.

Thats 14.4 ¢ for each application!  But now I only have enough swabs to do approx.
330 barrels...

To do 1000 barrels would cost $144 !!

Thanks again, O_P for the useful and penny saving tips

Keep up the good work!

LB

That's some pretty involved math, USMC_LB!   Thanks.

The truth is.......I'd use this method, even if it cost more, because it works so well.

Take another look at that last picture.  You can't get 'em any cleaner than that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, that was great, and so I'll share this from the August newsletter of the TCSA

By: Dan Martini
This idea was shown to me by the Chief Range
Officer Gary Meerdink, and I told him I would share his
cleaning tip with others who struggle with getting cotton
balls small enough to fit into their cleaning rod tip or into
their barrels.
All you need is to purchase a box of Cotonvel Baby
Q-tips shown below (Gary and I purchased them at the
Dollar Store in Richland by WINCO). Simply cut the Qtips
leaving about 1 inch as shown in the picture, and
you will have two cleaning swabs from each Q-tip. Put
the cut-off end into your cleaning rod and you will make
a considerable cut in your cleaning time. For 22 cal. you
will need to roll the Q-tip between your thumb and fore
finger, or remove a small amount on cotton to get it to fit
into the barrel. Each swab will only pass through the
barrel once, and can then be discarded. Cleaner or oil
can be put on the Q-tip as needed.

Thanks for the great cleaning tip Gary!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:24:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Ok, that was great, and so I'll share this from the August newsletter of the TCSA

By: Dan Martini
This idea was shown to me by the Chief Range
Officer Gary Meerdink, and I told him I would share his
cleaning tip with others who struggle with getting cotton
balls small enough to fit into their cleaning rod tip or into
their barrels.
All you need is to purchase a box of Cotonvel Baby
Q-tips shown below (Gary and I purchased them at the
Dollar Store in Richland by WINCO). Simply cut the Qtips
leaving about 1 inch as shown in the picture, and
you will have two cleaning swabs from each Q-tip. Put
the cut-off end into your cleaning rod and you will make
a considerable cut in your cleaning time. For 22 cal. you
will need to roll the Q-tip between your thumb and fore
finger, or remove a small amount on cotton to get it to fit
into the barrel. Each swab will only pass through the
barrel once, and can then be discarded. Cleaner or oil
can be put on the Q-tip as needed.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/Tips.jpg
Thanks for the great cleaning tip Gary!

That's pretty dern neat!

Thanks.  I'll have to give it a try on my .22s.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:29:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Boresnake: $12'ish. Lasts as long as all those patches, much simpler operation, expedited cleaning process.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Boresnake: $12'ish. Lasts as long as all those patches, much simpler operation, expedited cleaning process.

Sounds great.  Go for it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds great.  Go for it!

Already done, love it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#45]
WILL YOU PL:EASE START TALKING ABOUT GOD AGAIN!

PLEWASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
WILL YOU PL:EASE START TALKING ABOUT GOD AGAIN!

PLEWASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sgat1r5

Don't want to "offend" any of these delicate guys.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
tag

I assumed the tampons were for the BOX of truth

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I totally forgot to ask my girlfriend for a tampon tonight. It would have been perfect too, we were at a heavy metal concert.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]
What a great thread, info, humor, horror, Sgtar15 being himself, what could anyone else possably want!?!?

Thank you for sharing this OP, now we just need someone to video tape thier friend going in to buy some "Tactical Sanitary Weapon  Napkins" and post it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#50]
op good post

question what size do you use for the 20 gauge or the big boy 10 gauge
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top