BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would love to see Guns of the South made into a movie.  RE Lee get presented with 100,000 AK-47s and then proceeds to whup up on those yankee boys.  It would be a great movie.

I think a lot of the alternate history books would make great movies.

Does anyone know if the the Wachowski Bros (Matrix) copied the story? I remember a few years back that some one tried to sue them for copying the story for the Matrix and that was a possible reason the last two kinda blew.

Anyone Know?

96Ag

I'm not sure about whether there was a lawsuit or not but there are scenes (and most of the major underlying elements of the storyline) are ripped directly from Anime, and from Ghost in the Shell in particular. They did a good job of mashing other plot elements into it for us Westerners but a lot of stuff in that movie is ripped off an "homage" to Anime. (the "where do we come from" plot as well as the actual Matrix cascading green graphics are directly from some of Shirow's GiTS works)... A lot of the rest of the movie has much to do with Gnostic mysticism.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I really loved (still do, I suppose) Stargate. There were certainly some cheesy parts, but they explained some of Earth's historical mysteries in a cool way. That, and MP5's

I like what I've seen of the series as well, but I don't have the time to catch up on 8 seasons worth of it.

Another really good concept.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I think the best concept is 2001. I really need to take a look at the rest of the books in the series; I've only read the first two.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the concepts in "Forbidden Planet" and in "Gattaca". For guilty pleasures I'll say "They Live", "Ghost in the Shell", "Alien Nation", "The Fifth Element" and "The Hidden".

I know I'm leaving a bunch out here... There are some neat, smaller plot flicks along the lines of "Highlander" that have great, clever storylines but just don't have the big budget to glitz it up or do a huge ad campaign.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Star Wars. The original trilogy.

+1

though Matrix was good

one must also think about things such as Hitchiker's guide to the  Galaxy (original BBC), War of the Worlds

2001 was a great movie

or maybe even Alien?

I just liek watching Sci Fi
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I know its not a movie, but its pretty dang cloes. Halo.

Ill wait and see how Halo 3 turns out, but the story line has been a very thought provoking and interesting concept.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say the most interesting concept is The Matrix but I like the entertainment value of The Terminator.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Or.....

CW
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#8]
my top sci fi choices:

>Forbidden Planet
>War of the Worlds [1950's]
>This Island Earth
>Planet of the Apes
>Terminater
>Robinson Crusoe on Mars

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#9]
ALIEN VS WHOOPI GOLDBERG
BTW Matrix sucked IMO
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#10]

I wish they would make the 3 books for this story into a movie trilogy!  It would be great science fiction.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
my top sci fi choices:

>Forbidden Planet
>War of the Worlds [1950's]
>This Island Earth
>Planet of the Apes
>Terminater
>Robinson Crusoe on Mars

www.1000misspenthours.com/posters/postersn-z/robinsoncrusoeonmars.jpg

That movie is still watchable.
One of my all-time favorites.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Bladerunner. I also liked Outland, but I don't consider it a contender.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:05:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/924144/inheritthestars.jpg

I wish they would make the 3 books for this story into a movie trilogy!  It would be great science fiction.

Great series!

I'm overdue for a reading of that one... Just recommended that to a coworker a week or so ago.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I am listen to the soundtrack of Blace Runner right now.  Awesome stuff!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:12:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I need to read more.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]
12 Monkeys? Was that sci fi? I thought that was a pretty good idea.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kitaro!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kitaro!

Vangelis!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#19]
I like "Short Circuit" the best!  "Wouldn't you like to be a Pepper too?"

Anything with Steve Gutenburg totally rocks!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Just to muddy the waters a bit, I thought I'd mention three more movies:

Metropolis (Original 1920's silent version)
Silent Running
Dark Star

Tachyon

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:17:36 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/924144/inheritthestars.jpg

Better yet, a high budget mini series!!!!  I have read "the Giants" novels MANY times!!!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Logan's Run
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:42:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dianetics

LOL!

You had to go there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:48:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dianetics

LOL!

You had to go there.

I would think that "Escape From New York" would be one of your favorites!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:06:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I would love to see Guns of the South made into a movie.  RE Lee get presented with 100,000 AK-47s and then proceeds to whup up on those yankee boys.  It would be a great movie.

Id rather see "The Great War" since it doesnt involve time travel but a plausable scenerio.
I do like Turtledoves wrtings and wouldnt mind Guns of the South.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Not a movie but a tv series.
Sliders: i enjoyed the concept of infinate dimensions and them traveling thru them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#27]
as far as books id love to see made into movies.

Snowcrash.

with the whole language is a metavirus, franchized  corp countrys,. alot of neat stuff in that book.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#28]
As much as I see these movies as filled with bad acting, cliche story lines and predictable endings, I believe the breadth of "view" of a new universe in Star Wars is worth remembering.  I remember very clearly when it came out, and it left audiences everywhere STUNNED.  No one before this had attempted to create a whole universe, a whole alternate reality as in the vision of Star Wars.  Looking back over 30 years, it's easy to forget this.

My appreciation for some SF movies revolves around the books they're based on.  For that reason I'd have to say 2001 is up there.  The new War of the Worlds is up there, though I am sure there will be many who disagree.

AI was a tremendous concept.  I believe most people will reject it because of where it leads.  That's not Spielberg's fault.  He just held the mirror up to the pop-culture of today and showed where it ends.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Minority Report.

[edited to add:]The Matrix is so full of itself as a self-conscious effort to be "concept-driven" that it's absolutely laughable.  Just think, that whole super-advanced Sim world was just too dumb to implement Norton AntiVirus before Neo showed-up.  Or even ID them when they "materialized."  What a crock.  I didn't wast my time with 2 & 3.

Forbidden Planet and Robinson Crusoe on Mars. are classics.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
as far as books id love to see made into movies.

Snowcrash.

with the whole language is a metavirus, franchized  corp countrys,. alot of neat stuff in that book.

"He only understood one or two things in the whole world - samurai movies and the Macintosh - and he understood them far, far too well."

Neal Stephenson.  Great book.  Also check out the "Criptonomicon" series.

"'So, you're the Unix guru.'  At the time Randy was still stupid enough to be flattered by this attention when he should have recognized them as bone-chilling words."
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top