Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#1]
hehe.. i hope they eventually do come out.  they are a magnificent piece of work.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It was actually entertaining.  On fullauto.com they had their own forum and if anything bad was said it would get deleted and trashed.  Very similar to Toady tactics.  And of course the legions of asskissers hoping to score an example.

Actually you could say anything you wanted. Just not in dedicated forums.

Lots of people bitched about the Shrike in GD and RANT.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
 I almost had a M16. Saved up money for years, and I was right at the point were I met the 6500. dollar mark to get it. Then this ghostly apperence comes along, the magical belt fed upper.  Before I knew it 16's were running 10 to 12 grand.   FUCK ARES DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!  tHOSE BITCHES NEED TO GO TO FUCKING PRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Real American Assholes, thank you for ruining my dream of owning an M16.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:59:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not just sell the SHRIKE without the feedtray so the customer can buy his own at a gunshow or over the internet.  Wouldnt the bypass all the legal crap?

Or are SAW parts not sold to civilians period?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why not just sell the SHRIKE without the feedtray so the customer can buy his own at a gunshow or over the internet.  Wouldnt the bypass all the legal crap?

Or are SAW parts not sold to civilians period?

The mythical feedtray restriction is probably bullshit.  Even if they couldn't buy it, they're not that hard to fab up.  Like I said, either they are incompetent to a spectacular extent, or they are running a scam.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The whole Shrike thing is one fascinating fiasco. Start to finish.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got two videos on my comp. One is a guy assembling his Shrike, the other is wasting various range targets with his Shrike.

Anybody wanna host 'em?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 I almost had a M16. Saved up money for years, and I was right at the point were I met the 6500. dollar mark to get it. Then this ghostly apperence comes along, the magical belt fed upper.  Before I knew it 16's were running 10 to 12 grand.   FUCK ARES DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!  tHOSE BITCHES NEED TO GO TO FUCKING PRISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Real American Assholes, thank you for ruining my dream of owning an M16.

What did Ares do to drive up the price of M16s? Was the idea that the Shrike was coming enough to put a run on M16s?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did Ares do to drive up the price of M16s? Was the idea that the Shrike was coming enough to put a run on M16s?

Shh! Don't bring logic into the argument, they need a scapegoat to explain why an M-16 costs as much as a new car and the con artists who made the Shrike are as good as any.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been told it was, enough people wanted a FA belt fed .223 and speculated enough by buying up regsitered FA lowers to go with the Shrike vaporware that the price went up. Remember, you are talking about a very small fixed supply, so even 20-30 new high interest buyers can make a huge impact on the market.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have been told it was, enough people wanted a FA belt fed .223 and speculated enough by buying up regsitered FA lowers to go with the Shrike vaporware that the price went up. Remember, you are talking about a very small fixed supply, so even 20-30 new high interest buyers can make a huge impact on the market.

I think that's coincidence. The prices of EVERY F/A has gone stupid in the last 2 years. Look at Mac11's, Uzi's, all doubled or tripled. There's no explaining that, is there?

I think the Shrike thing helped the process along, but it's not to blame.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#12]
  I watched the full auto market forever. And for a fact when the shrike started to make a presence. Many of my friends who already had 16s warned me that this thing was really goint to push the market up on them. I shit you not with in two months the Colt 16 went up from 6500 to 8500.  and slowly climed to 12-15 grand were it is today.
 Macs, uzis, stemples did not really go up in value until a year or so later. The shrike thing totally made the market move again.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#13]
BUT where is MAJIOR INSIDe hER?    

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
wtf is a shrike?

Have you ever heard of a "snipe hunt"

Someone call???
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#15]
This is without a doubt my favorite "Pretendo Commando " piece of gear.  I liked the part where they gave a couple to come industry guys for free publicity and then raised the prices.  

If you want a real beltfed upper for your AR-15 go see Lakeside guns, They are not lying shitballs like Ares.   www.lakesideguns.com/

You can actually afford to shoot this after you pay for your 12,000 dollars M-16.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that's coincidence. The prices of EVERY F/A has gone stupid in the last 2 years. Look at Mac11's, Uzi's, all doubled or tripled. There's no explaining that, is there?

I think the Shrike thing helped the process along, but it's not to blame.

uzi's Vector Ran out Macs a boatload of new accesorrys popping up.

I think the net really did more then the shrike to cause mg prices to explode. all the people finding out "you mean I can own a Machine gun legaly!" and more and more dealers selling online.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
whoops dbl post
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't follow the Shrike story enough to know all the history or fine points, but I was quite shocked to read an article about it in the Small Arms Review. It surprised me that an upstanding publication would allow the furtherance of this fraudulent undertaking by associating their name with it. I almost puked when they quoted ARES for the reasoning behind the delays in production...

Someone should be talking to these people about jail-time. That will motivate them.

Guys, I work in the tool and die/stamping/machining trade. There is absoutely NOTHING about a gun that can't be made or contracted out for this gun-especially with the industry being as slow as it is these days. I could have built the tooling myself in the time this has taken....

Dave
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The mythical feedtray restriction is probably bullshit.  Even if they couldn't buy it, they're not that hard to fab up.

Excuse me?  You obviously have no clue about progressive stampimg dies.  To produce a Minimi feed try will cost around $100k in tooling up front.  And that's not counting the cost of the stamping equipment.  If it's so easy, why don't you start cranking them out and making a ton of money?

Like I said, either they are incompetent to a spectacular extent, or they are running a scam.

Instead of just admitting that they can't produce the Shrike, Ares continued to collect deposits and string people along hoping for some sort of miracle to appear.  Incompetence? No.  Scam?  Yes.  Criminal?  Definitely.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Excuse me?  You obviously have no clue about progressive stampimg dies.  To produce a Minimi feed try will cost around $100k in tooling up front.  And that's not counting the cost of the stamping equipment.  If it's so easy, why don't you start cranking them out and making a ton of money?

I know nothing about them, but it is not something you could CNC out of a block of metal?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the problem is that the set up as mentioned is going to cost several hundred thousands of dollars. A one piece production of a prototype is going to cost you as well.  Its not as easy as whittling a piece of wood.  The tooling cost is prohibitive or everyone would be making stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#24]
That video....just rocked.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, is the fucking SAW an open-bolt design or not?  I don't see why someone couldn't replicate the SAW, semi-auto of course, and call it a day.  Unless the lower is different - I don't know.

The machining and production is not that hard to manage, and if it IS just an upper with prints or a reference design (like the SAW) readily available, I'll put my money where my mouth is on this.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Who is that lady that is always at the Shrike booth at the SHOT Show?

She is smoking hot.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#27]
My dentist has one he bought it at the SAR show last Dec.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#28]
That Shrike does look sweet.

But I got a question...

Why is it a Title 1 weapon?

I thought it was just an Upper Receiver, or is it only going to be sold as a Full Weapon?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Sweet piece. to bad.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=143556

WTF, this has to be the longest running ponzi scheme.

I don't know anything about the shrike, but it is far from the longest running ponzi scheme. That award goes to our federal goverment for Social Security.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=143556

WTF, this has to be the longest running ponzi scheme.

I don't know anything about the shrike, but it is far from the longest running ponzi scheme. That award goes to our federal goverment for Social Security.

It is, if you factor in having to involve a gun.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top