Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2001 1:28:38 PM EDT
I just put an 870 express .410 on layaway today. It has a walnut stock - not birch - and a very nice one at that- very wavy grain in it.
and it has a full choke instead of the mod. Dindn't Remington quit making these a while back? is the full choke barrel with walnut stock more rare than the others? and is $295 a good price?
- bricklayer
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:19:44 PM EDT
[#1]
[red][size=1]anybody?[/size=1][/red]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

im not a 410 fan, acually i hate it. they cant get a company to take the blame for making it. it has its purposes "maybe" but it patterns horrible, and its pricey
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, .410's are a breed to themselves.  An expert's gun.  Not a beginner's shotgun by any means.  At any shotgun competition watch the .410 class.  Those guys are just crazy good.  I mean they shoot gnats out of the air at 40 yards.

.410's are usually the most expensive.  High-grade shotguns get a 25-50% premium for .410 and 28 gauge.  .410's are consequently the rarest chambering.

If I had an opportunity, I'd buy the .410.  Practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#4]
just be prepared to roll your own ammo 410 is expensive
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a friend who shoots shotgun alot grand Nationals ect.His opinion is the 21/2" 1/2oz load will probally pattern better[even/denser] than the 3/4oz 3" load.Ecspecially out of the full choke.Are the remingtons put on a 28Ga frame or the 20?
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto what Arock said.  I saw one at the local Wal-Mart about a year and a half ago and couldn't pass it up.  Mine is like the one you described.  Paid $240 plus tax.  I'm not an expert but I can tell you it's a hoot to shoot.  Took it out for a test run the following two days (15 squirrels and a gray fox).  It's my understanding from looking in Remington's catalogs that the make a run of x number of these guns, then lay off for a couple years, then run off some more.  I would guess that the full choke version would be the most popular.  The gun is probably not collectable enough to make a large profit on resale later on, but you'll have a fine gun you'll enjoy and can pass it down to a family member someday.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about the price.

Most of the .410 bore shotguns I have seen on skeet fields ARE choked full so your choke is OK. And if you are comfortable working the pump action thats great.

Remington 870  pumps are damn near indestuctible. The triggers go after a (long) while but they are easily fixed / replaced. I have one in 12 guage. I don't use it much but I have shot skeet with people who use the 870 as their main gun. Believe me clays shooters put more rounds thru their guns in one season than a hunter will in a lifetime.

I'd say go for it. You may want to consider a shotshell reloader because sub-guage ammo is pretty expensive.

I would not hunt with a .410 you should use a larger guage to eliminate the possiblity of cripples, which I consider inhumane. If your'e going to hunt, then use a weapon that will kill game quickly.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to use it for squirrels and maybe stalking for rabbits on some of the farms that I hunt. I have a Browning auto5 12ga, a Winchester super x2 3.5 12ga, a Franchi 48al 20ga, and a Beretta pintail 12ga. so I thought I would get at least one small bore. I'm not a competition shooter so I'm not going to use it for anything like that. just small critters [:D]
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a kid I inherited a Winchester Model 37 .410 break action single shot. I learned to shoot trap (!) with that gun and as a result I was VERY good when I got big enough to handle a 12 ga. comfortably. I haven't shot the 410 in probably 25 years now, but I keep it immaculately clean and lubed. Also, I suck at trap nowadays due to a lack of practice! Better than most, but nothing like the old days.
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting post. I just happen to be in the 410 bore mode myself. I want a Browning though, I like the hard shiny finished wood and bottom ejection. I think a 410 is a great piece to have in ones collection. I just bought a new gun to protest the antigun commie UN trash, got to wait a while to get another one, but it's high on the list. I like gus first shot trap with a Savage 410 bolt action, I was about 12 years old and would hit about 9-12 birds X 25 with that gun. I wish I still had it. I also would like to keep on the tractor a Stoeger coach gun double barrel in 410, for snakes and pesky ground squirrels that get to close to the house. I hate them critters. It would be small and not take up alot of space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top