Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/13/2001 7:10:53 PM EDT
I have been considering refinishing my Colt 6520 government carbine. I don't really like the Colt grey and prefer a black finish. I also want a finish that will not wear or scratch easily. What is the best finish and where is a good place to send it to to have it done?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:16:19 PM EDT
I sent this guy an old scratched up reciever and it came back looking great. [url]http://www.shootiniron.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:04:08 PM EDT
I sent my Colt SP1 to [b]Walter Birdsong[/b] who did an absolutely beautiful job. [u]Highly recommended.[/u]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:10:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/13/2001 10:08:53 PM EDT by lbj]
I did the Rocky Mountain Arms Bearcoat and love it. They are within driving distance for me. Turnaround is usually with 3 weeks. Bob is a good guy. [url]www.bearcoat.com[/url][/quote]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:28:12 AM EDT
Thanks for all the replies. Genestoner, I have ordered some mags with the Teflon finish done by Walter. If they are nice, I am considering having Walter do my AR also. If you don't mind me asking, what finish did you have done on your AR and how much was it? Do you have a picture of it (before and after)?
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 12:08:47 PM EDT
Yeah--the finish on the SP1 was old and nappy-looking and REQUIRED a refinishing. Cost for complete gun +2 mags was $250. Sorry, no before/after photos. But when you get your mags, you'll see... If I had a complaint, it would be the length of time Walter had the gun (+3 months), ouch. But you have to keep in mind that he is in charge of refinishing the FBI's MP5's and also does finishing for major manufacturers as well; so he has to slip you in between production runs. But once I got the gun back, I could see why I waited. Good Luck GS
Top Top