Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2001 2:07:55 PM EDT
Seems a bit much punishment for whacking a bichon frise but there it is.

[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010713/ts/crime_dog_dc_1.html[/url]

Man Gets Maximum Sentence in Road Rage Dog Death
SAN JOSE, Calif. (Reuters) - A California telephone repairman convicted of hurling a lap dog to its death in speeding traffic was sentenced to the maximum of three years in state prison on Friday after the judge in the case said he saw no real sign of remorse.

Andrew Burnett, 27, was convicted last month of felony animal cruelty for causing the death of ``Leo,'' a bichon frise he grabbed from his owner's car and hurled into traffic after a minor accident outside San Jose International Airport on Feb. 11, 2000.

Burnett had described the incident as an accident, saying he reacted instinctively after Leo allegedly bit his hand. A county probation investigator this week recommended that he be sentenced to probation rather than jail time.

But San Jose Superior Court Judge Kevin Murphy agreed with prosecutors, who said Burnett had shown no real remorse for the incident and passed the maximum sentence -- to cheers from animal rights advocates and others attending the hearing.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard on the radio the women said she would rather have "taken a bullet" than for her poor doggie to have to died like this.

What a clueless twit. [whacko]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:22:42 PM EDT
[#2]
He got off easy, had he done that to one of my dogs, I would have thrown his ass in traffic too. Of course my great danes would be pretty hard to pick up and throw in traffic.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Some background.

This guy has a record of animal cruelty. I believe he beat a dog to death and was convicted.

The dog owner is one of those who believe that their dog is human, the dog was pampered big time.

These two were involved in a minor traffic altercation. He ends up outside her window screaming at her. Her dog was in her lap barking at him, doing what dogs do, protecting her. It probably pissed this guy off.

He reached into her car, grabbed her dog, and flung it into traffic, where it was struck by one or more cars and killed. Then the guy fled.

There was a national hunt for this guy. A very large reward was offered for his capture.

The reward issue sickens me, as it was very substantial (can't remember how much), and yet many rewards for HUMAN killers are relatively small.

Turns out the reward was $120,000.00

Anyway, this guy deserves every second of the sentence. He is unstable and if he would do this, who knows what else he is capable of.

I'm not an animal rights nut, but if he had attempted this with me, I would be on trial.  

Edited to add the reward amount.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
moral of the story:
look remorseful in court.[BD]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw it on fox yesterday before the sentence was hand out. they said the jury recommended probation because they guy was remorseful. But I see today the judge gives him 3 years.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Kill a dog and get 3 years............Kill millions of your own kind and get the friggin' Olympics.........da-da-damn
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I would just love to take one of the f**kers knees out with my .50 Desert Eagle and then let my 57 pound ADBA registered American Pit Bull Terrier play with him.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Dave S:
Kill a dog and get 3 years............Kill millions of your own kind and get the friggin' Olympics.........da-da-damn
View Quote

Yep, nice to know folks have their priorities straight.[>:/]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AK Fan:
I saw it on fox yesterday before the sentence was hand out. they said the jury recommended probation because they guy was remorseful. But I see today the judge gives him 3 years.
View Quote

I don't think juries recommend sentences.  I believe it was the Probation dept. that recommended probation.

Anyone notice their names?  Burnett and McBurnett.  Eerie.

I hope he receives the same  special care [wink]that rapists and child molesters receive while in prison.
We aren't talking about persons that have a choice on their defense.  We are talking about an animal that could not have prevented this situation.  I say the sentence was less than just.  Like I tell my hunting partners.  You shoot my dog, I have a shovel in the back of my truck and the dog's going home with me.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya know, I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate mail, but really, who gives a rats ass about some friggin nasty lap rat dog? three years for killing him? Way to much time. A fine and an ass kicking would suffice. Most people  murderers don't get three years, and to bang some chump with that kinda time for doing a dog is just outrageous imho.....
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Oldeschool,

If he reached into your wifes car to get anything, you would want him dead.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Three years for a real dog is not excessive and might even be light. A lap dog should only be worth 3 months in jail with time off for good behavior.

All kidding aside anyone who reaches in your vehicle to cause harm to you and yours is a threat to society and must pay the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top