Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 1:41:33 PM EDT
I just got a new computer w/both a CD ROM (52X) and CD RW (12x10x32x) drive (2 drives).  It came with Nero burning software.  The question is, how can I download music from the 'net onto the CD in standard CD format (not MP3) so I can play it anywhere.  Or rather, can you point me in the right direction to find some instructions somewhere?  MANY thanks!

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Nero should convert the MP3s on the fly. Just create a new audio CD and drop the MP3s on the new disk.

Look in the Nero help section for more info.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Do I have to buy only RW blanks or will cd Rs work too?  I read that those are better?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just got a new computer w/both a CD ROM (52X) and CD RW (12x10x32x) drive (2 drives).  It came with Nero burning software.  The question is, how can I download music from the 'net onto the CD in standard CD format (not MP3) so I can play it anywhere.  Or rather, can you point me in the right direction to find some instructions somewhere?  MANY thanks!

View Quote
If it does not convert automatically you will have to  convert to a "wav" file[):)]pg
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks.  Do I have to buy only RW blanks or will cd Rs work too?  I read that those are better?
View Quote

Most audio cd players will only read CD-Rs. You [b]do not[/b] need to buy Audio CD-Rs though.

Some older cd players are picky about what color discs you use. They don't like the darker disks so only gold, silver or platinum disks work. I use Imation 12x silver. Most newer players don't have this problem though.

The newest CD players out will play MP3s written to a CD-RW.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, good.  So I *can* use cd R type disks in a cd RW type drive, though?

Thanks again for the help guys.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK, good.  So I *can* use cd R type disks in a cd RW type drive, though?

Thanks again for the help guys.
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#8]
The conversion software from MP3 to Wav format is known as a "ripper" just do a search as there are several freebies out there that are easy to use.I used to have one where all I did was right click on the file and tell it convert.

Also if Nero is the older version without the MP3 converter, I believe you can ugrade that online for like 10$, I like Nero and use it myself as it is really easy and almost foolproof.

Link Posted: 7/14/2001 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#9]
CD-RW run about $5.CD-R are $.50-1.00.You can use R in RW drives but not the other way.RW you can erase and use over.If you have a buffer underrun on an CD-R it will be a coaster.Nothing to do but throw it away.You might want to buy a small qty of one brand and try them in case the burner doesnt like them.Though I don't think this is as much of a problem it used to be.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I would only buy one CDR, CDRW at a time and then try your burned CD on the other cd players you want to listen to it on.  Like was mentioned, some cd players can be picky about what type of cds they play.  Chances are you will probably have more trouble with cdrws.
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
almost all cd players can read cd R's heck my old diskman can read em. CD RWs u need a special player that is compatble with them becouse they are burned using a diffrent wave lenght. kinda like how a DVD wont work in a CD rom drive but a cd rom will work in a dvd drive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top