Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 7:48:47 AM EDT
The anti-gunners are howling mad.  Woohoo! Checkout:
"Ashcroft said the original intent of the Second Amendment "unequivocally protects the
right of individuals to keep and bear firearms."
"
==================================================
Los Angeles Times: Justice Dept. Stands by Gun Stance

http://latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-ashcroft-guns0712jul12.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dpolitics%2Dheadlines

Justice Dept. Stands by Gun Stance
By KAREN GULLO Associated Press Writer

July 12 2001

WASHINGTON -- Justice Department officials disputed charges that the
department's position that the Constitution guarantees people the right to own
guns undermines federal gun laws.

The department will defend all federal gun laws, including those that prohibit
some individuals from owning firearms because they have committed crimes, said
the officials, speaking on condition of anonymity.

They rejected claims by gun control groups that the new policy invites
challenges to existing gun laws and will make it difficult to defend the laws in
court.

"This does not weaken the department's ability to defend gun control laws," said
one official. Rather, it "demonstrates a marked difference in the way this
administration is going to protect individual rights."

The department's policy on gun rights was articulated in a letter Attorney
General John Ashcroft sent to the National Rifle Association in May. Ashcroft
said the original intent of the Second Amendment "unequivocally protects the
right of individuals to keep and bear firearms."

The statement reversed the position held by the Clinton administration, which
argued that the Constitution provided a right for groups, not individuals, to
own firearms.

NRA executive director James Baker said the group may at some point challenge
gun laws in court on grounds that they violate Second Amendment rights but there
was no immediate plan to do so.

He said the NRA supports laws that prohibit people who have committed crimes or
are subject to restraining orders from owning guns.

Baker said he met with Adam Ciongoli, counselor to the Attorney General, several
months back and the two discussed a host of issues but not the department's
position on the Second Amendment.

Ciongoli declined to comment.

Gun control groups say previous administrations and federal courts have long
maintained that that the Second Amendment does not create or protect a right to
own or possess guns absent a relationship with a state-sanctioned militia.

The new policy "will be be welcomed by those in the gun lobby who advocate a
constitutional right of civilians to possess military-style assault weapons, or
to buy guns without background checks or other reasonable restraints," said
Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Justice Department officials said just the opposite -- that previous Democratic
and Republican administrations had taken the position that the Constitution
gives individuals the right to own guns.

Copyright 2001 Associated Press
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

The new policy "will be be welcomed by those in the gun lobby who advocate a
constitutional right of civilians to possess military-style assault weapons, or
to buy guns without background checks or other reasonable restraints," said
Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
View Quote

I don't know why Sarah is concerned about "military style asssault weapons" - don't recall her husband was shot with one of those.

"without background checks" - WHAT? last time I purchases a firearm they did a background check on me. She's full of SH*T. Or maybe her idea of a background check includes a picture of my pecker?

I think any nucklehead who can read and understand plain English, can figure out what the Second Amendment says..

Shara is [whacky]

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally, gun owners get some good news... about time!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Sara's good at blowing smoke (lung cancer), and now she's blowing smoke up your @ss with this BS statement:

Gun control groups say previous administrations and federal courts have long
                          maintained that that the Second Amendment does not create or protect a right to
                          own or possess guns absent a relationship with a state-sanctioned militia.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Once again, the major electronic media outlets are ignoring this.

I checked MSNBC, CBS, CNN, and Foxnews and none of them had anything about this on their websites.  Maybe if I had done a search I might have found something- but since none of the sheeple are likely to search for it.  If they arent being told what to think by reporters they dont get involved.  No headlines= no problem.

Why this sudden conversion by the media, to suddenly ignore non-PC activities by the government?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sara's good at blowing smoke (lung cancer), and now she's blowing smoke up your @ss with this BS statement:

Gun control groups say previous administrations and federal courts have long maintained that that the Second Amendment does not create or protect a right to own or possess guns absent a relationship with a state-sanctioned militia.
View Quote
No, she's right about that.  Since about 1973 that HAS been the position of the Department of Justice of EVERY administration.  In fact, it was stated verbally by assistant Attorney William Mateja before the 5th Circuit in the appeal of Emerson, and it was stated in writing immediately afterward by then Solicitor General Seth Waxman.  The majority of legal precedent, mostly based on the U.S. v. Miller decision, agrees with that position.  

Now that the DoJ has reversed that position, and now that the Second has been upheld by the Emerson decision, and now that it's under appeal in the 5th Circuit, perhaps we'll get our own "Brown v. Board of Education" decision that will overturn the last 70 years of bad legal precedent.

I can only hope.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#6]
This has been such a good week for gun owners its getting scary.  I am starting to get nervous about the "other shoe" falling, you know?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Armd - I too looked for this information on all the sites you mentioned and found nothing.  I finally found the report buried deep on the ABC News web site.  That wonderful American media, they use thought control any way they can, be it biased reporting or no reporting at all.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:04:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Agreed Fox,

But what is with this sudden declaration of neutrality by them?

Without the TV networks help the Bradys would never have come as far as they did.  Their staying out of it helps us, not as much as if they joined us, but it does help to not have to fight against them.  What is the deal?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I am not yet sure why their apparent "neutrality".  However, judging by the lack of coverage the media did not want this decision to receive wide spread attention among the populace as you previously noted.  I found nothing in the Seattle Times or P.I., nor was there anything in my local paper.  So far, this knowledge appears to be largely restricted to gun advocates and control proponents, both of which are actively concerned about the issue.  Right now I am in a "stay tuned" mode.  I have zero trust in the media and figure there is something waiting to be played out here.  While I balk at using the word collusion, it sure struck me as odd that there was so little coverage of the announcement.

Here is a wild thought though.  The democrats, and by definition, the media, want to see a clear democratic victory next year in congress.  Since democratic leaders have been vociferous in their complaints about how the gun control issue hurt them badly in the south and many midwestern states, could it be that a hands off approach is the best media policy to help democrats in the next election?
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now that the DoJ has reversed that position, and now that the Second has been upheld by the Emerson decision, and now that it's under appeal in the 5th Circuit, perhaps we'll get our own "Brown v. Board of Education" decision that will overturn the last 70 years of bad legal precedent.

I can only hope.
View Quote
and if they slam it down VIVA LA REVOLUTION i hope it doenst come to that thu. cuz it would be hell
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am not yet sure why their apparent "neutrality".  However, judging by the lack of coverage the media did not want this decision to receive wide spread attention among the populace as you previously noted.  I found nothing in the Seattle Times or P.I., nor was there anything in my local paper.  So far, this knowledge appears to be largely restricted to gun advocates and control proponents, both of which are actively concerned about the issue.  Right now I am in a "stay tuned" mode.  I have zero trust in the media and figure there is something waiting to be played out here.  While I balk at using the word collusion, it sure struck me as odd that there was so little coverage of the announcement.

Here is a wild thought though.  The democrats, and by definition, the media, want to see a clear democratic victory next year in congress.  Since democratic leaders have been vociferous in their complaints about how the gun control issue hurt them badly in the south and many midwestern states, could it be that a hands off approach is the best media policy to help democrats in the next election?
View Quote

Well that is still sort of good for us.  If the Dems learn to stay away from gun control, at the very least there wont be any new gun control laws.  And we would still have avenues open in the courts.

Not as good as supporting the individual right to keep and bear arms, but better than what we had under Clinton/Gore
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone wants to check the link, do so before 12am PST, it will disappear after that.  Chalk up one for pro-gun people.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn, their making it hard for honest guys like me to make your lives miserable.  [smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top