Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2001 3:24:19 AM EDT
that has an average life span of 21 years!

To view some bad ass Volvos, some even converted to chevy or ford v-8 motors. Yes, I know this is not gun related, but it can educate those not in the know!

TYRANNOCTUNUS
Visit [url]www.volvonet.org/tpc/indexer.html

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:13:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Good car, overpriced..................[:)]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:16:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe true, but it's still hard to pick up chicks in one.[:D]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe true, but it's still hard to pick up chicks in one.[:D]
View Quote

Ok, it does take longer, but the ones you do pick up are worth it!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
They may be ugly and a bit pricey, but they're also one of the safest cars on the road.

Never owned one though, I prefer trucks myself.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They may be ugly and a bit pricey, but they're also one of the safest cars on the road.

Never owned one though, I prefer trucks myself.
View Quote

Trucks are great, I also have a 86 GMC Jimmy 6.2 Detroit Allison, turbo, intercolled, dual 3" exhaust, that rocks!

Some good deals out the on the old military versions, and they have the one tone axels!
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 4:24:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Just bought a V70 for the wife.  I didn't much care what she got, I love my Tahoe and rarely drove her last car.  But now that I have driven it I am really impressed.  Very solid.  Very well thought out.  Luxurious without being gimmicky or over the top.    
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember about ten years ago that there was a bank that gave 10 year loans on new Volvos'.

I wouldn't mind a V70-T5: 260 hp in a nice looking and nicely equipped station wagon.

At the very least, a S80 twin turbo sedan.

Jay
Arizona
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I drove a 240D for almost 10 years. No power and the A/C sucked wind, but that was the most reliable car I have had so far. Oh, definately no sex / chick appeal, drive a Volvo - you and your hand are going to get to know each other if you know what I mean (no animated icon for that)
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 7:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I got a T-5 wagon. The only bad thing I can say about it is that it goes through light bulbs like crazy.  Seems like I always am having one go out.  The worst which I won't fix is the gas gauge light.  To change it you have to remove the drivers side airbag and Volvo wants the bucks to do that.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:05:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The biggest peice of junk I've ever owned was a Volvo I bought in Holland 25 years ago. I'll walk before I ever own another one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#12]
volvo's are great cars. Worth the money because they have the highest safety standards of any automaker
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Volvo's may be the safest vehicle on the road, but around here, they seem to have the shittiest drivers too.

Sure as hell, if you are stuck behind a long line of slow traffic, the lead car is a Volvo with absolutely nothing in front of it but open road.

Volvo drivers don't signal for turns or lane changes. And don't seem to care if they cut you off. And they can't seem to drive in a straight line, lots of swerving. Probably because they are tending their children, answering an e-mail, sending a fax or drinking their half-caff double mocha latte.

Volvos seem to attract certain types of drivers in the S.F. Bay Area. Ex-hippy, Birkenstock wearing, dope smoking, ex-radical left wing Berkeley graduates.
Or, tiny oriental women who can't see over the wheel. Or, the ultimate soccer mom with a roof rack and three or four car seats in her wagon.

Just an observation.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Nope, the best cars in the world are Audis

Give me a A6 2.8T Quattro any day- even comes in station wagon form.

I'll take any Chrysler product too.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Volvos are very common here in Finland, and indeed they are very safe cars. Our family has had Volvos for decades now, no big complaints about them.

And they also have some spiffy looking ones too...
[img]http://sc2.vcc.m.volvocars.se/bilder/pp/newc70c/gallery/c70_big_6.jpg[/img]

or try this..
[img]http://sc2.vcc.m.volvocars.se/bilder/pp/v70xc/gallery/vxc_big_1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, but you have to drive like a Volvo driver to get them to last 21 years.  If you drive like a normal American they break down like any other European POS.

My brother stills holds up crossed fingers when he sees one just so the curse doesn't come toward him... his was the most expensive sh**box I've ever seen.  Buy American.

Rich
NRA, GOA, LEAA, CCRN
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#17]
I owned a Volvo. A 1800S to be precise. Great cars back then and even up to the 240 series. However, they are just average nowadays. Nowhere near the quality of back then. If you don't believe me just check the gauge of the sheet metal used. You will find that the 1800S was so thick that a hammer would bounce off it.
The 1800ES used slightly thinner which got progressively worse up to day.

In reading these posts, it sounds like this is just idle talk and not really based upon experience.

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#18]
If I were concerned solely with safety, I would have kept my 1971 Chrysler Imperial that I sold a couple of years ago. That car would crush any Volvo and its occupants in a collision. Then  again, it weighed over 5000 pounds!
Sure was nice being able to put the seat all the way back and still have enough room in the back seat (2 door) to completely stretch your legs without touching the front seat. I bet I could have almost fit a Volvo in the trunk of that monster!
As for new cars, I don't like ANY of them. Still what choice is there when you need to get where you're going. I would only buy a pickup or large SUV these days - might be buying a Durango next year but I might come to my senses before then.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By operator error:
Volvo's may be the safest vehicle on the road, but around here, they seem to have the shittiest drivers too.

Sure as hell, if you are stuck behind a long line of slow traffic, the lead car is a Volvo with absolutely nothing in front of it but open road.

Volvo drivers don't signal for turns or lane changes. And don't seem to care if they cut you off. And they can't seem to drive in a straight line, lots of swerving. Probably because they are tending their children, answering an e-mail, sending a fax or drinking their half-caff double mocha latte.

Volvos seem to attract certain types of drivers in the S.F. Bay Area. Ex-hippy, Birkenstock wearing, dope smoking, ex-radical left wing Berkeley graduates.
Or, tiny oriental women who can't see over the wheel. Or, the ultimate soccer mom with a roof rack and three or four car seats in her wagon.

Just an observation.
View Quote

You just described SUV drivers every where else in America!

Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Around here SUV drivers are planted in the fast lane doing about 80 mph and flashing their headlights for you to get out of the way. Very aggressive! Never slow.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Volvo drivers are the worst drivers there are. Maybe because they think they are driving a tank that they can do whatever stupid things they want.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
You need to test drive a newer firebird formula
(LT1,LT4,LS1). Handles like a vette, hauls ass like a bigblock, 18MPG, and pickes up chicks like a magnet. To bad I'm married.[:D]

Volvo's stlying never did anything for me. Reminds me of the box my Redwings came in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2001 9:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Screw the formulas. The full-blown, ram-air, Trans Ams are the only way to go. Chicks just love these things.[:)]

As for you Volvo drivers, they are just not cool. I'm sorry, it had to be said. However if you are that concerned about safety you are too old to be driving a cool car anyways.[;)]
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 2:00:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You need to test drive a newer firebird formula
(LT1,LT4,LS1). Handles like a vette, hauls ass like a bigblock, 18MPG, and pickes up chicks like a magnet. To bad I'm married.[:D]

Volvo's stlying never did anything for me. Reminds me of the box my Redwings came in.
View Quote

Yep, the car picks up the chicks, so I must ask, what is the quality of the chicks, and do you get layed?

As for the Volvo, it does not pick up chicks at all, Im the one that does that, and yes, they are always PRIME AMERICAN!
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 2:19:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Screw the formulas. The full-blown, ram-air, Trans Ams are the only way to go. Chicks just love these things.[:)]

As for you Volvo drivers, they are just not cool. I'm sorry, it had to be said. However if you are that concerned about safety you are too old to be driving a cool car anyways.[;)]
View Quote

"I CAN SEE IT NOW, THE CHICK GIVING HEAD TO THE EXHAUST PIPES, AND YOUR HAND DOING YOU!"

"I'D BET YOU ARE A COOL AS PENGUIN SHIT ON ICE, ARE'T YOU?"

AS FOR SAFETY, THE WOMEN I HAVE IS CLEAN SO I DO NOT HAVE WORRY ABOUT SAFETY, EVEN LET ER RIDE THE STASH! "YEP ALL THE ARM CANDY I EVER NEED!"

AS FOR COOL CARS, I LIKE EM AND NEVER NEEDED EM TO PICK UP CHICKS! INSTEAD I HAVE A NICE HOUSE IN AN UPPER CLASS HISTORIC DISTRICT, NEAR THE OCEAN, AND THE BEST PART IS, I PAY NO PROPERTY TAX, BECAUSE OF U.S. MILITARY SERVICE CONNECTED INJURIES INCURRED 1991! SO "I CAN" LAY AROUND ALL DAY LONG AND GET LAYED AS MUCH AS I CARE TO, WHILE YOU WORK TO PAY THE NOTE ON THAT COOL CAR, TO WHICH I MAY HOLD THE NOTE THORUGH ONE BUSINESS, OR ANOTHER!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2001 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Ok. I'm sorry . You are right. I'm not worthy. I will just just contiue slaving away to pay for my cool cars and silently be envious of all the Volvo drivers of the world who are scarfing up all the wimmens.

Obviously I've struck a nerve. Maybe we should lighten up a little. Smilies[:)] usually means we are joking and kidding around.

Of course maybe you Volvo guys are a liitle above my immature post.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#30]
First off, I'm married w/ 3 kids, so I don't have to worry about picking up chicks. Now I am a die-hard truck fan (currently have a Dodge Durango) and pretty much always have been. We live in the mountains so 4WD is a must. Last year it was time to get my wife a new truck/car (she drove a Ford Explorer). She REALLY wanted the Volvo Cross Country V70, and at first I said NO. Well she started showing me all the specs on it about safety and AWD. I finally gave in and I signed the papers.

Well let me tell everyone this, IT IS AGREAT CAR! When we go out now, we take the Volvo. It handles BETTER than my truck in the snow! In the summer (w/ the sunroof open :) it has more than enough power when I feel like Mario.

I was a non-believer at first, but I have been converted. Don't knock the Volvo until you drive one ;)
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ok. I'm sorry . You are right. I'm not worthy. I will just just contiue slaving away to pay for my cool cars and silently be envious of all the Volvo drivers of the world who are scarfing up all the wimmens.

Obviously I've struck a nerve. Maybe we should lighten up a little. Smilies[:)] usually means we are joking and kidding around.

Of course maybe you Volvo guys are a liitle above my immature post.  
View Quote

Actually, I was somewhat harsh, and do admit it!
No hard feelings, I hope!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 4:56:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
First off, I'm married w/ 3 kids, so I don't have to worry about picking up chicks. Now I am a die-hard truck fan (currently have a Dodge Durango) and pretty much always have been. We live in the mountains so 4WD is a must. Last year it was time to get my wife a new truck/car (she drove a Ford Explorer). She REALLY wanted the Volvo Cross Country V70, and at first I said NO. Well she started showing me all the specs on it about safety and AWD. I finally gave in and I signed the papers.

Well let me tell everyone this, IT IS AGREAT CAR! When we go out now, we take the Volvo. It handles BETTER than my truck in the snow! In the summer (w/ the sunroof open :) it has more than enough power when I feel like Mario.

I was a non-believer at first, but I have been converted. Don't knock the Volvo until you drive one ;)
View Quote

There are but a few bad stories about volvos, one I am sure that I can tell, but when I weigh all the facts, they are conservative, they are reliable, fast, economical, and far exceed anything made in America these days! BUT! One could argue and rightfully so, what auto is entirely made in America these days? NONE!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:14:08 AM EDT
[#33]
..............volvo[smash].........
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By black&green:
..............volvo[smash].........
View Quote

Ok, your message noted!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Only kidding buddy! Actually, in the past i had a LOT to do with VOLVO (trucks) therefore, i am well versed on thier quality!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By black&green:
Only kidding buddy! Actually, in the past i had a LOT to do with VOLVO (trucks) therefore, i am well versed on thier quality!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Great trucks, but then some big American rigs still have what it takes, and then some!!!
Link Posted: 7/15/2001 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#37]
CORRECT........best (in my opinion) is western star.........kelowna b.c. .....i like internationals too, so the flames are a comin`.....Hey...i`ve worked on em` all pretty much.......and you can`t beat a mack.....[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top