Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Gee, glad to know my  luminox is crap.  I'll be sure to let it know it is supposed to stop working now.

I had a the entry level plastic luminox in 96/97 or so.  I wear a watch 24/7.  Had to replace the band after 3 or so years and it finally died in 2002/3 after a battery change.  Local dude didn't put seal back on correctly.  Now I have te SS case, lock down crown.  No problems, it is bright and keeps good time.  The "Navy Seals" is a bit cheesy, but oh well.

ETA: The real rubber dive strap is better than the plastic on on the entry level plastic cased watch.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I love this one...

$33 at Target.  It's sturdy and I've used it extensively snorkeling (scalloping and lobstering) down to 14ft with no leaks.  Have beat it to hell on car engines, stucco-ing my house, digging sand castles with my kid, boating, camping, whatever.

Best watch I've owned. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's the general consensus re: Luminox vs the Traser?

It's a gift..I can spend up to 300.00.

If you have any real thoughts one way or the other based on PERSONAL experiece I'd love if it you would IM me, or respond in the thread.  I'll be watching.

Thanks, guys!
Daisy

My next watch will probably be a Traser that's all titanium with a rubber band.  I think it'd be sturdy and useful without being so precious that I'd be afraid to just wear the thing and beat the crap out of it.  I wear mine 24/7 also, and find the rubber band comfortable.  Love the constant, bright illumination!

Like this one, the Traser 6506  (but with a rubber band, not the velcro one):

This dealer doesn't have any right now, but you might find by looking one around the net.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the general consensus re: Luminox vs the Traser?

It's a gift..I can spend up to 300.00.

If you have any real thoughts one way or the other based on PERSONAL experiece I'd love if it you would IM me, or respond in the thread.  I'll be watching.

Thanks, guys!
Daisy

My next watch will probably be a Traser that's all titanium with a rubber band.  I think it'd be sturdy and useful without being so precious that I'd be afraid to just wear the thing and beat the crap out of it.  I wear mine 24/7 also, and find the rubber band comfortable.  Love the constant, bright illumination!

Like this one, the Traser 6506  (but with a rubber band, not the velcro one):

store1.yimg.com/I/policestuff_1853_41721904

This dealer doesn't have any right now, but you might find by looking one around the net.  

Thanks, I'm leaning towards the Traser..I found a Titianium one that's really sharp looking.  He'll wear it 24/7 and probably beat the crap out of it, too, so I want one that's durable.  I've heard that the Luminox is not as bright as others, and that the workmanship CAN BE a bit shoddy on some models.
I've also noticed there are differing numbers of gas tubes used for the tritium hands..maybe the higher the amount of tubes, the brighter it is?  sounded good to me, anyway.
thanks so much for the help.
Daisy
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
TAG
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The TACWATCH link I posted shows the H3 titanium for $343.  $215 for the plastic cased one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:26:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The TACWATCH link I posted shows the H3 titanium for $343.  $215 for the plastic cased one.

Stop and look at Ebay. Don't spend more than you have to. You'd be getting robbed to pay what vendors ask for, particularly when talking about watches.

Now if you're talking about a Rolex, Tag, or another watch that is commonly counterfeited, I would suggest buying from a legit dealer and pay full boat. For a Seiko, Luminox, Traser, etc however I would highly recommend Ebay, just check the seller's feedback. It's easy to find a guy who sells watches with over 1000 feedbacks with 99% positive.

Are you talking about this watch? Buy it now for $225.
H3 Titanium

Here's another
Titanium

Here's the plastic case for $157
Plastic case version
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My Luminox is going on 6 years old with zero problems after countless field exercises and two deployments while I was still in the Army and daily bashing at work currently.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I called County Comm last evening to buy a Casio Mil-Shock.

They were out.

The guy said they probably would not get any more.  He doubted .gov would place another order.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Luminox, and I love the way it looks.  But it gains about 1-1.5 seconds per week, so rehacking constantly is a PITA.  If your job requires a good constant time hack, then I say don't even consider.  Plus, the minute hand rarely lines up with a tick mark when the second hand reaches 12.  

But it looks cool, and the tritium rocks.  +1 for the face, it doesn't scratch.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:42:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop and look at Ebay. Don't spend more than you have to. You'd be getting robbed to pay what vendors ask for, particularly when talking about watches.

Now if you're talking about a Rolex, Tag, or another watch that is commonly counterfeited, I would suggest buying from a legit dealer and pay full boat. For a Seiko, Luminox, Traser, etc however I would highly recommend Ebay, just check the seller's feedback. It's easy to find a guy who sells watches with over 1000 feedbacks with 99% positive.

Are you talking about this watch? Buy it now for $225.
H3 Titanium

Here's another
Titanium

Here's the plastic case for $157
Plastic case version

DOW, I meant the Taser H3, but thanks for watchin my six!
www.tacwatch.com/customer/product.php?productid=20880&cat=&page=

LA Police Gear has the SS case S&W for $157 with free shipping and a Free S&W Folding Knife:
www.lapolicegear.com/smithandwesson.html
www.lapolicegear.com/smwewany.html
Ive been leaning heavily towards ordering the above S&W.

CTD has it for $150, no freebies.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Luminox, but stopped wearing it in the field because the tritium was too bright.  If my seeves pulled up, you could see the green glow from a ways away at night.  In fact, on the occasion that I decided to trade it in, an OPFOR guy thought it was the green glow from a set of NVGs.  G-Shock for me now.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They were out.

The guy said they probably would not get any more.  He doubted .gov would place another order.

That's a shame. My Milshock is my toughest, nastiest duty watch. Maybe they'll make more if there's enough people asking for them.
My Milshock on the right, rebanded with a OD beefy strap.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
That's a shame. My Milshock is my toughest, nastiest duty watch. Maybe they'll make more if there's enough people asking for them.
My Milshock on the right, rebanded with a OD beefy strap.
images.snapfish.com/3444354%3B23232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2337%3D948%3D%3B%3A%3C%3DXROQDF%3E23238%3B45%3B42%3B9ot1lsi

Yep.

I like the G-Shock, and have one, but the band is almost too short - I'm on the third to the last hole, and the damn thing pinches me way too often, so I don't wear it.

I found a nylon band to fit it a while back, but to fit the pin area, the band was not very wide, and it looked stupid, to say the least.

Looked like a huge watch supported by a thread...

The Mil Shock looked better.  I immediately went to Ebay after I called them - there weren't any for sale there, either.

Snoozed...I loosed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Stocker and Yale (SandY) 650 (on the left) and a Traser Titanium model (on the right).  Both excellent watches.

Check Ebay for the SandY 650.  The Luminox version just isn't the same.

Didn't realize the picture was blurry.  If you need more of either one let me know.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Similar experience with Luminox here.....I have nothing bad to say.  Can't really comment on their CS because I haven't needed it.

I got the Titanium version and picked up a Rhino band from Howard Marx Rhino Band CLICK ME.  If you plan on doing any activity you CANNOT beat a Rhino band.

This watch/band combo has been on countless fresh and saltwater dives as well.  I've been wearing it daily for ~3 years and the band still looks new.....YMMV.  I've been in the mud, sand, dirt, everything you can imagine and it keeps going.  I usually scratch a watch face up nicely, but I haven't been able to scratch this one and I bang it into brick/concrete walls all the time.

Had I known about Traser or Marathon at the time I might have gone a different route, but like I said before, I have nothing bad to say about Luminox.

ETA: If the Nox ever takes a crap I'll probably get a SandY 650......

ETA: Just checked Howard's site and looks like he is carrying the Zulu band now, and he praises it higher than the Rhino.  If it is better than a Rhino then that is amazing, because I have been nothing but impressed with this band.  Looks like I'm gonna order some Zulu's for color changes.  I can't have a watch that doesn't match my man purse.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Does more than one company make the Traser watches?  Or is that a brand name?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
here

but i actually have found this watch to be top notch
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Traser is a brand name.  

Marathon is a current supplier of .MIL watches, having taken over from Stocker and Yale (AKA SandY).

Luminox (as far as I know) are really only civilian watches, but are very similar to the SandY 650 which was an issue watch.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Get an Atomic Solar G-shock. It will take alot of punishment and you never have to replace the batteries. It syncs up with the atomic clock every night so it is probably the most accurate watch you will ever own. These watches kick ass.

www.gshock.com
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I like this kind of wrist band, notice that the nylon band continues behind the watch.
If one pin gives out, the entire watch doesn't fall off your wrist and the watch is still attached by the other.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Swiss Army Watch

+1

Here's the one I wear:

www.swissarmy.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2880&category=8

I have this watch. I got it at the PX in Kandahar, Afghanistan for $50, I had no idea it was that expensive.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#24]
tag

Casio G-Shock waveceptor (solar, links to atomic clock) stands up to intentional abuse.  8 months of construction thus far, barely a scratch.  REALLY BIG, well defined digits, too.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I was waiting for someone to roll out the Rolex. There goes my Omega Professional roll out.

ON a serious note for this thread, I got a Casio G-Shock Atomic/Solar Digital at Costco for $60.  Damn good deal from what I have seen, I think it is the 500VA model if you have a Costco nearby.
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Traser is the brand of the company (mb-microtec) that makes the innards with the swiss movement and the tritium vials.  

Here the company is described (in English):  www.army-technology.com/contractors/personal/mb_microtec/

BTW, the number of vials of tritium is a design issue, not a functional one.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I was waiting for someone to roll out the Rolex. There goes my Omega Professional roll out.

ON a serious note for this thread, I got a Casio G-Shock Atomic/Solar Digital at Costco for $60.  Damn good deal from what I have seen, I think it is the 500VA model if you have a Costco nearby.

Roll it out!!!!!

Ive got a pre-moon Speedmaster that is one of my favorites.  Love Omega!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
casio G-Shock

any model thats solar powered.

+1  I got one on e-bay new for $40 shipped to me, it retails for $120.  I love it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 2:51:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Traser is the brand of the company (mb-microtec) that makes the innards with the swiss movement and the tritium vials.  

Here the company is described (in English):  www.army-technology.com/contractors/personal/mb_microtec/

BTW, the number of vials of tritium is a design issue, not a functional one.  

Thanks, but now I notice the link you have shows a watch with the word "Traser" on the dial face and the earlier ones did not.  I just don't want to get one that is a knock off and not as good of quality.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:00:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

i got your rolex.. this one retails for 50k+
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#33]
OK..good stuff here.  But now, here's a question for anyone that can answer.

I either need one with a chronograph (really ups the price, and limits my OTHER options as far as style) OR he needs one that can mark off a chunk of time.  Now, please bear with me, I have no idea about this.  They all have an outer bezel with numbers on it....5, 10, 15, 20..and a traser dot.  Is that for marking off a certain amount of time?  Say, he wants to do a 10 minute run (or whatever).  Will this alert him when 10 minutes has gone by?

Someone please help me out here...sorry..it's a blonde thing.

thanks alot.
Daisy

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The 511 Baliistic computer/tactical watch looks kinda neat. Calulates bullet drop/impact, etc and has analog and digital readout. Titanium case. Only issu I'd have with it is it looks rather large.

www.511tactical.com/Products/Tactical/HRTWatch.asp

Here's a guy selling them for $180.00 I'd buy one to play with if I had some extra cash.

sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/155106903

I tried one on yesterday.   Neat computer...  BIG FREAKING Watch.   It's huge.  I thought that the silver case would be bright... It was more of a brushed dull color,  that's a good thing IMO.  
 My Ironman's light finally taken a dump so I've been looking.  I break bands about every 3 months or so.   Bands are cheap.   I'll probably end up with another Ironman.   The current G -Shock watches have too much bling.
I do all of my work after the sun sets and the goblins come out to  play.   Bling equals bad.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I either need one with a chronograph (really ups the price, and limits my OTHER options as far as style) OR he needs one that can mark off a chunk of time.  Now, please bear with me, I have no idea about this.  They all have an outer bezel with numbers on it....5, 10, 15, 20..and a traser dot.  Is that for marking off a certain amount of time?  Say, he wants to do a 10 minute run (or whatever).  Will this alert him when 10 minutes has gone by?

thanks alot.
Daisy

Traditional analog watches with one-way ratcheting bezels do not have an audio alarm.  So if he wants to use this watch for running and be alerted through sound, then I'd say go with one of the Solar G-shocks.....Not as much style or class as the others, but it is more functional and (sadly) will keep better time.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks alot.
Daisy

Traditional analog watches with one-way ratcheting bezels do not have an audio alarm.  So if he wants to use this watch for running and be alerted through sound, then I'd say go with one of the Solar G-shocks.....Not as much style or class as the others, but it is more functional and (sadly) will keep better time.

ok, so it won't make a sound when the elapsed time has gone by, but does it alert you somehow?  flash?  etc?
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I break bands about every 3 months or so.   Bands are cheap.  

If you don't want to worry about buying another band for a loooong time, please CLICK THIS LINK and look into a Rhino or Zulu band.  I prefer the 4 ring design because there is less of chance you will lose your watch if one spring pops (I dive alot).  

Howard just informed me (by e-mail) that Zulu will be making a 4 ring design in the other colors (about a month out).

I cannot recommend these bands enough!!  It would really suck to lose an expensive watch b/c of a .20 pin....

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

ok, so it won't make a sound when the elapsed time has gone by, but does it alert you somehow?  flash?  etc?

Not really, he would actually have to look down and see that the time has elapsed.  If he doesn't look down then he's not gonna know.  I've found ratcheting bezels useful for diving (as a backup to my computer) and that's about it.  When I'm running, biking, etc. and need to time myself I usually put on a trusty old Timex Ironman....
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

They were out.

I think www.broadarrow.net still has them.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#40]
real "operators" use G-shock's or Timex Ironman's.  ...not as "twactical" as you might imagine, but they are indestructable. KISS too.

Link Posted: 7/13/2005 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
The 511 Baliistic computer/tactical watch looks kinda neat. Calulates bullet drop/impact, etc and has analog and digital readout. Titanium case. Only issu I'd have with it is it looks rather large.

www.511tactical.com/Products/Tactical/HRTWatch.asp

Here's a guy selling them for $180.00 I'd buy one to play with if I had some extra cash.

sigforum.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/350601935/m/155106903

Go to 5.11's site and play with the interactive model.  You have to input more than you'd think.....looks like a nice watch, but it doesn't strike me as user friendly.  On the range with no incoming fire or time constraints, ok....but not in a military or LE environment.

I've owned and worn a Luminox with the rubber watchband for over seven years, just replaced the battery for the first time a couple months ago.  It gets abused and roughed up constantly and still works like a charm.  Got mine off of ebay for less than $140, so look around.  Lots of good watches out there.  Suunto's Vector is a good one, from what I'm told as well.

My .02

VJ
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 9:04:30 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
real "operators" use G-shock's or Timex Ironman's.  ...not as "twactical" as you might imagine, but they are indestructable. KISS too.

www.ebuycenter.com/ProductImages/images/MTG920DA-1V.jpg

p3.hach.com/p3/images/rewards/TimexIronmanWatch.jpg

Believe it or not, my good buddy (who you can pretty much call an "operator") used a SWATCH for the longest time.  I remember he had that damn thing when we were sergeants together, many, many years ago - and it only broke last year (on one of his trips to Iraq).

He finally replaced it, and went completely the other way, and got his Breitling.  

But I think it illustrates that from a "tactical" perspective, it really is just whatever WORKS for that person, and the G-shocks seem to be an amazingly durable watch which is an incredibly value for money.
Link Posted: 7/13/2005 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were out.

I think www.broadarrow.net still has them.

Nope, they're out of stock also.

Thanks, though.

I'll keep checking back with them and Countycomm.

ETA:

OK wait a freaking minute.  I'm finding conflicting info on their site, and I can't figure out what is current and is not.

Will have to call them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Got mine today.  Not, exactly "tactical" (that's what my G-shock is for), but more "dress tactical" ....

Rich
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice. That is one spiffy clean mag ya got there!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, Ultra expensive watches are silly.  The movements are all basically the same.  You are just paying for the wrapping and name.

Timex IronMan Triatholons work like a charm and last a long time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Nice military style watches here....www.westcoastime.com/milandmilsty.html

Ollech and Wajs
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#48]

I've got the Sea Dweller 4000 that I wear on a daily basis.

Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]
For an actual military watch, get a Marathon Navigator. Under $200 and they have the same illumination as the crappy luminox watches.

I have one, but my daily watch is a Seiko Quartz Chronograph (SNA273).

Someday i'll buy an Omega Seamaster professional or a Rolex Submariner

To those who say expensive watches are pointless, my $150 Seiko is lightyears better in feel and quality than your $20 Timex. Now I wouldn't buy a $100,000 watch even if I was Bill Gates, but I would certainly buy a nice automatic watch.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yep, Ultra expensive watches are silly.

You could sat the same for cars.  A toyota corrola will get you there just as well as a Lexus.  A chevy cobolt just as well as a cadillac...
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top