Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2001 9:43:00 PM EDT
Just have a friend who hooked me up with a guy who is selling a 1988 Cadillac Seville, 4.6L V8 engine.  has 110k miles on it.

Any opinions on this car or Caddys in general?  I'm getting rid of my old car which has officially died last week.  How do they last? Problems? Costs? etc?!?!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My parents have a 1987 El Dorado and it has the 4.6 liter in it.  Overall the car has cost way too much to maintain and fix the little things that go wrong with it.  They keep the car as a second car to drive in the few days it is snowy here.  They have had it since it was new and my mom takes very good care of it at the Caddy dealership.

I would not recommend it unless it is in immaculate condition and you are willing to pay for the maintenance of all of the bells and whistles on the car.  The engine is reliable, but the car is high maintenance IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't take that car if it were given to me...
I worked at a Caddy dealer parts dept. from '86-'88.
These motors were ALWAYS in the shop for MAJOR warranty work...
Blown head gaskets/ spun main bearings / leaking intake gaskets...etc...

Just call your local Caddy dealer...I'll bet they STILL keep these parts in stock...
Not too many new car dealers keep engine bearings on the shelf...
Back in '88, we had piles of them in stock...  

Food for thought....
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 10:56:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out MSN Carpoint.  You might be able to find some information on there.  

Or, go down to the library and see if they have some older issues of Consumer Reports on Microfilm or fiche.  

Hmm...  Isn't that the car with the slanted trunk?  If so, I seem to remember something odd about their engines.....

Mike
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:08:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Dragracerart is correct! Those engines (4.1 and 4.5) were poorly designed with numerous problems. That is why Cadillac uses the DOHC 4.6 NorthStar in their sedans and coupes since 1993 exclusively. I was a Cadillac tech from 1982-1996.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If I had a buck for every "milkshaked" HT4100 engine I've seen, I could have retired long ago.  Run, do not walk, away from this engine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned 2 Cadillacs, both '79s. a Coupe DeVille and a Sedan Deville.
If they still made cars like that I'd be a happy camper.[:)]
1979 was the last year for the 425ci big block with the 4-barrel. They got kinda funky after that with that POS 4100 motor, and that 4-6-8 nightmare.

One day I'll get another one, I miss my Coupe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top