Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2001 6:21:11 PM EDT
Last chance to talk me out of it guys.  Always wanted to go in the military and the guys talked me out of it back when I was 18.

Getting past the point where I'll never be able to do it again, so I figured I'd take the plunge now.

Just Reserves/NG, so will keep the job/house/wife/dogs, etc.  Going into the OCS program, so God willing, it will be 2nd Lt. Ticonderoga in about a year and a half.  

Was looking for a way to pay for school when I go back and they will pick up 100% of the tuition, so why not?
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck to ya old man,you'll hear alot of that....and alot of foul language.....[;)]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
yea, how old is too old
[x]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Best wishes to you, my brother, I hope you'll never regret your choice.  Service of God & country is nothing to be taken lightly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What branch? Also, what's the age limit to join the reserves?

If you think it's the best choice for you, then go for it.

[img]http://www.ncsg.org/topohat-small.jpg[/img]
View Quote

National Guard, Texas.  Cutoff for OCS is 29-30 depending on which branch.  But many branches are short folks so will give waivers up to 34 if you are in good health.

OCS in any other branch (that I could find) has no tuition assistance.  NG will pay full tuition.

If I had to go back and do life again, I would go ROTC right out of High School, Officer in the Military, if I liked it stay in, if not, reserves for a while, then go job hunting.

Either way, you have a degree and "Officer" on your resume.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, at least you'll be an officer.  I couldn't imagine joining at age 31 with a bunch of 17-18 year old dumbass enlisted men.

(NB: no offense to enlisted men.  Just that where you are as a person at age 31 is so much different fom where you are at age 18.)
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish you the best of luck - I always wanted to do the same thing. Too much crap always getting in the way though.

Tyler
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wish you the best of luck - I always wanted to do the same thing. Too much crap always getting in the way though.

Tyler
View Quote

What, you mean like a job?  Hey, they can take the job back, I've given all the mousepads away anyhow... [:)]

or have I?

I think I have enough for about 11 or 12 more people...

[url]www.mousepadintobuffer.homestead.com[/url]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey there,

I think that's cool....I enlisted when I was 26 into CA Nat'l Guard.  I'm glad I did....Basic was not that bad, being 26 the Drill Sgts left me and the other older guys (2 guys were 31) alone, but I have to agree that all 17-18 year olds were pissing me off constantly because they could not listen and do as told......Go for it you'll proud you did it. I am.

Take care,

Steve
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#11]
After I got off active duty USMC. I joined the Guard. I graduated from OCS. Good luck, don't quit. It is a long and surprisingly difficult experience. You will be a better man for it. Choose a branch that has nothing in common with your civilian occupation.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Best wishes Granpa! (get used to it!) your military experience will likely be a source of pride for you for the rest of your life. Volunteers like Guard and Reserve deserve respect for being willing to juggle civilian and military lifestyles. Wouldn't talk you out of it in a million years!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, at least you'll be an officer.  I couldn't imagine joining at age 31 with a bunch of 17-18 year old dumbass enlisted men.

(NB: no offense to enlisted men.  Just that where you are as a person at age 31 is so much different fom where you are at age 18.)
View Quote

I'm a 27 year old dumbass enlisted man.  Wouldn't want it any other way.  Officers are retards.  no offense:)

Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck. Just remember this... as an Lt. never say "Based on my experience.."!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Be very careful. Even the reserve recruiters will tell you anything.

How much college do you have right now?  This is important. You will need 60 semester hrs to go to OCS and 90 to get commisioned. The only waivers I know of are if you have Active duty time and then they subtract the total years served from your age.

Now I understand this could be different in your state, but that is how it is in Alabama and they have a Federally recognized program. Not all states do.

Either way, you will be going to Basic and AIT as a private with all the 17 and 18 year olds. Then all you can look forward to is being treated even worse at OCS then at Basic.

I wouldn't reccomend telling your drill SGT that you are going straight to OCS, they will be harder on you while they still can. They get a kick out of yelling at future officers.

Email me directly if you have any questions about anything Army related. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#16]
How one's perspective of "what's old" change.  In '68 I was drafted at age 20 (just completed my second year at UCLA) Some draftees were 24 and 25. They seemed so OLD.  But there was a measure of respect for them because they had at least, been around for a while. My best friends dad was 36, married with a kid, when he was drafted into the Navy during WW II.  In retrospect a 31 yr. old brown bar, may have more credibility to his men, than some 22 yr. old baby.  But!! you have to prove yourself.  Lead by expample, don't be a know it all, learn from and respect your NCO's.  We used to say that the most dangerous thing in the Army is a bown bar with a compass and a map.
Just remember do what's right, and take care of your men.  Ray
  Good Luck.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a 27 year old dumbass enlisted man.  Wouldn't want it any other way.  Officers are retards.  no offense:)

View Quote

Hey DG,

I was afraid, like I thought, guys who enlisted would be offended by my post.  NOTHING against ye who enlist.  I'm just saying raw recruits out of our wonderful education system, for  a guy being in the real world for 12+ years...they must be insufferable.

I'm just saying, it would be a lot harder to enlist as a 31 year old than as a 18 year old.  Not because of physical reasons only.  

How old were you when you enlisted DG?  Probably 4 or more years ago, and I'm about your age.  Hats off.  I've never been in the military at age 27.  I'm just saying, the idea of being an EM at age 31 when they're 18......
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Door Kicker:
Be very careful. Even the reserve recruiters will tell you anything.

How much college do you have right now?  This is important. You will need 60 semester hrs to go to OCS and 90 to get commisioned. The only waivers I know of are if you have Active duty time and then they subtract the total years served from your age.

Now I understand this could be different in your state, but that is how it is in Alabama and they have a Federally recognized program. Not all states do.

Either way, you will be going to Basic and AIT as a private with all the 17 and 18 year olds. Then all you can look forward to is being treated even worse at OCS then at Basic.

I wouldn't reccomend telling your drill SGT that you are going straight to OCS, they will be harder on you while they still can. They get a kick out of yelling at future officers.

Email me directly if you have any questions about anything Army related. Good luck.
View Quote

I hear you, I've been very careful.  He pulled the paperwork for the last OCS inductee, he even called her and had her call me.  Talked with her, she's about 6 months into the program, she loves it.

I have everything in writing (or will have, or I won't sign) including if my waiver or security check is not cleared, I have not obligation and will walk.  They will give me a thumbs up prior to Basic.  I'm even bringing along my micro-casset recorder, I'm going to pull out out hit record and lay it on the table during the signature part.  I'll be sure to ask all the questions and get an answer on tape as to the if's when why's and what's.  He shouldn't have a problem with that as long as he's on the level.

The only downside that I can see is if I flunk out of the OCS program after basic, then I'd have to go to AIT and put in 6 years as enlisted.

Guess I'll have to study hard and do some more push ups.

Better get to bed as the Sgt. is picking me up at o'dark thirty tomorrow morning.  Will log in tomorrow and let you know how it went.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 30 and have thought about doing the same thing...  My problem is my knees.  I've worked for UPS too long and they are starting to give me problems.  

I think I might have to pay my local recruiting office a visit.  They might have something for a crippling UPS employee with a couple of degree's???

fuatos
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn I didn't think about that.  I'm applying for a pilot slot into USAF Flight School and it's very competitive.  I'll be lucky if I get it.  I've thought about what my options would be (if any) if I washed out of flight school, but the thought of flunking OTS scares the bejezus out of me.  I can not be a 26 year old airmen in for a 4 year enlistment making 900 a month.  No way.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#21]
PVT TICONDEROGA, where are you from!?

"texas sir"

HOLY DOGSHIT PVT TICONDEROGA, ONLT STEERS AND QUEERS COME FROM TEXAS!!!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]
kick.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck - you'll be happy about your decision, I think.

Tate
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:15:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey all right!  I just joined the Guard in an SF company.  Got my MOS of 18C with all the schools in my contract, assuming of course that I pass them...  (I'm 28 by the way)  It's going to take about 2 years of training.  Not counting the physical training I'm doing now just to get ready.  Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Ticonderoga, best of luck. As an older person starting in basic you will be looked up to by younger troops. With this will come more responsibility. You will probably end up as a squad or platoon leader. Actually you will probably become one several times. The drills will get a case of the ass and demote you then later promote you again. Its all part of the game. If you can run and do pushups everything will be fine. The drills like to screw with older recruits, but if you hang tight they will respect you. What MOS did you choose?

No Slack!
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Remember, SNCOs are what makes the service run.
As a LT, you'll depend on them for everything.
They have the most knowledge, troop-leading wisdom and experience of anyone in your unit.

...and with all that being said, you must remember this, too:
You are going to be an officer, and SNCOs are just OLD TROOPS.
This is the burden of being a new LT.
When you're one month into you new billet, if you realize you have a shit bag for an SNCO...
....even though he's been in for 18 years.
....even though he's got more experience than you.
YOU have to act.
It's always the most important test of a young officer. (even a young 31 yold officer)
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Does anybody know what OFFICIAL requirements for going to OCS.  I have always thought that you needed a college degree BA/BS.  Now reading above, it sounds like you only need a certain amount of semester credits.  Which is true?

Also, is there any way for the average 30 yr old with family/full time job to go through OCS?  or is it geared for the average single with no other responsibilities.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#28]
USMC OCS requires the candidate be no older than 29, a graduate of an accredited 4 yr college/university.  SATs of at least 1000.
In the Corps, there is no such thing as going to OCS, becoming a LT, and then going right into a reserve unit.
ALL USMC officers must first serve 4 years of ACTIVE service before going into the reserves.
(That's why all of the PLT CMDRs in a reserve rifle Co. are Captains.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Congratulations on your new endeavor.  Being an officer is more than just shooting guns and soldiering... it involves leadership with countless hours of planning and coordinating events, meetings, counseling skills and other things the commercials dont show you.

I would also advise against letting your Drill Sgts at basic training know youre going to OCS, but if they find out take the heat with pride.

Once commissioned and you assume your new command, do as MAJ Murphy said. Make and issue your plans, but be open to suggestions from your NCOs, they've done certain things a thousand times before and know what works and what doesnt.  However, as platoon daddy, YOU always make the final decisions.  In other words it would be wise to listen to your Senior NCOs.  Think of them as your expert consultants to use when making your plans (unless they are ate-up), but always stay in control.

Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Gl, Ticonderoga. I just joined the Air Force Reserves and leave for basic in Sept. All goes to plan i'm gonna get my degree and get my commision from OCS and go career in the AF. Gl to you Tool in Flight School and its almost impossible to be in the for 4 years and still be and e-1. you have to be increadibly dumb to pull that off.
Good Luck in The Guard.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 11:08:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Some answers to the questions above.

There are two ways to go through OCS in the ARMY. Federal OCS at Benning, and Reserve component with the Guard or Reserves. To be honest, The reserve component is actually harder, not physically tougher(about the same) but mentally harder. In the Reserve component, you start with a Two and a half week SMOKE Session called PHASE I. No problem you say and yes most folks with prior service can do this standing on their head, but that is not the tough part. After that starts the 15 month PHASE II wich consists of one three day weekend a month. Then you go on to PHASE III which is actually at FT Benning with the Federal OCS for two and a half weeks ending with Commissioning.

Why is the Phase II the hardest? because you have to jump head first into the action every month without skipping a beat. This is hard when during the rest of the month you are trying to work or go to school or live a civillian life. It always seems like just when you get used to being a civillian again, you find yourself right back at OCS in the front leaning rest because you forgot something or hesitated.

The college part of 60 and 90 hrs is just to attend and then graduate OCS, you will never make CPT/ O3 with out a 4yr degree. They prefer you already hae the 4yr prior to attending, but like was mentioned, they are pretty low on offercers right now.

Hey AR15, what Group and where? 20th SF? Alabama?

If you guys were already enlisted and NCO's like myself, 9yrs service SSG(four active duty) and you had a four yr degree, you could get a direct commision like me. I have just been aproved by my GP CM to be commisioned. I will walk in the door as SSG Nelson and out the door as 1st LT Nelson. It will be like starting all over again. A NEWBIE. But few if any 1st LT's wear Master Blaster jump wings on their chest.

Now the question is do I stay with the SF or join the support corps as an officer?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Matt Daugherty:
Ticonderoga, best of luck. As an older person starting in basic you will be looked up to by younger troops. With this will come more responsibility. You will probably end up as a squad or platoon leader. Actually you will probably become one several times. The drills will get a case of the ass and demote you then later promote you again. Its all part of the game. If you can run and do pushups everything will be fine. The drills like to screw with older recruits, but if you hang tight they will respect you. What MOS did you choose?

No Slack!
View Quote

You don't pick an MOS per se, My MOS reads: "OCS option."  I am assigned to an armor unit during my drilling and will in March go to the OCS school 2 weeks, then 1 weekend a month for 14 mos, followed by 2 weeks again.  Then at some time in the future after that (depending on job openings and your ranking in the academy) you will be able to select from the units open.

I called around, Combat Arms has no shortage of oppenings.  I was talking to one guy today and he said that in Texas, in the 49th Division, the best chance for future advancement will come in Armor rather than Infantry.

I shall see as it comes.  I really don't care about the MOS as long as it's combat arms.  The boss of my recruiter pulled a letter that was sent to every unit Commander in Feb of this year, pleading with them to encourage their enlisted that had an AS/AA degree to pursue this program as the Texas ANG has currently 200 junior officer slots open.

The unit I'm drilling at has no 2nd (or even 1st Lt's), just a lonely Captain.  I'll be assigned to him.

In my contract it reads (I signed this afternoon), E3 boot camp (leave Sept 11), E4 upon completion of Basic, will recieve OCS cadet insignia (immediately) and will advance to E6 pay come March when I start the academy.

It also says in my contract that if I fail out of OCS, or just quit, I have the option of leaving the Guard (will still have 8 year obligation in the Inactive Reserve - in other words if WWIII is called up, it's Pvt. Ticonderoga all over).

I had better not fail out.

Have begun a serious case of PT.  Hung a chin up bar in my spare bedroom and have been maxing out on push ups, pull ups, stair stepper, and will start running (again Ugh!) next week.

-Please God, don't let the DI's find out I'm OCS.  "Baty, what's your MOS?"  

"Combat Arms sir!"  well, that's not really a white lie is it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Major Murphy:
USMC OCS requires the candidate be no older than 29, a graduate of an accredited 4 yr college/university.  SATs of at least 1000.
In the Corps, there is no such thing as going to OCS, becoming a LT, and then going right into a reserve unit.
ALL USMC officers must first serve 4 years of ACTIVE service before going into the reserves.
(That's why all of the PLT CMDRs in a reserve rifle Co. are Captains.)
View Quote

Hate to disagree, but the guy sitting next to me was OCS Marine RESERVE.

The OCS req's are different for all branches and [b]have changed dramatically in the last few years.[/b]  While I thought I had to have an age waiver, the AJ just changed the cutoff to 35 yrs...
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#34]
There is a direct commissioning program for Marine reservists, but there is less than one person accepted each year.  You have to have spent 4 years on active duty and obtained the rank of Sgt or above, and another 2 years in the reserves, to even apply.  
The Ocan you talked to was probably getting commissioned with a reserves commission, however he had a 3.5 to 4 year active duty (takes 9 month to a year from the date you are commissioned to a qualified Marine officer in almost any MOS anyway) obligation, all active duty officers get reserve commissions when they start out today.  You have to get augmented or the other branched equivalent to the regular commission by the time you make Maj on active duty.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There is a direct commissioning program for Marine reservists, but there is less than one person accepted each year.  You have to have spent 4 years on active duty and obtained the rank of Sgt or above, and another 2 years in the reserves, to even apply.  
The Ocan you talked to was probably getting commissioned with a reserves commission, however he had a 3.5 to 4 year active duty (takes 9 month to a year from the date you are commissioned to a qualified Marine officer in almost any MOS anyway) obligation, all active duty officers get reserve commissions when they start out today.  You have to get augmented or the other branched equivalent to the regular commission by the time you make Maj on active duty.
View Quote

Now that you mention it, I think I remember he said he was going reserve, but that was after his original service... can't remember, I'm so punch drunk from being up so early, going to bed now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top