All three vehicles gassed up.
Another 15 gallons in my MFCs.
Buncha food.
74 gallons of potable water.
12 one lb cylinders of propane.
Whole buncha charcoal.
One window unit air conditioner.
One tried and tested generator.

...and one road map.  If this thing goes above a cat II, I'm outta here.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 10:55:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, BRING IT ON!!!!!!.............to him.

I'd like to sit this one out.  Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
We need the rain! BTW,don't throw your cigs out the car windows,they're starting fires. If Dennis misses us,we in Central Ky are gonna be in bad shape waterwise.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We need the rain! BTW,don't throw your cigs out the car windows,they're starting fires. If Dennis misses us,we in Central Ky are gonna be in bad shape waterwise.

you might need the rain in KY, but we need our houses down here
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The new computer models show a more eastward track. Two of the models show tracks following Charlie's path.
Anybody know where we can see last years predictions for Charlie at this time?

Yes, they were calling Tampa to evac and get ready.

I am in Destin, which will be front row if this follows the NHC track. I would guess it will recurve towards Apallachicola though...just a guess.

I'm praying you're right N-G.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you might need the rain in KY, but we need our houses down here

+1............... I Like my oak trees too!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
GREAT
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Now at 115MPH as per the 5pm eastern advisory......
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, Dennis is now a CAT 3 hurricane almost 2 days earlier than predicted.  The high to the east of FL  may have weakened, moving the path closer to the west coast of FL, so it looks like it will give the entire west coast of FL trop storm to hurricane strenth winds and rains.

State of emergency has been declared, mainly to prevent price gouging, but I hear supplies are already running short in places in the panhandle.

Thanks ECM242 for posting the comparisons of dennis and Jetlag for finding the links from last year (unfortunately, the link is still on the archieve server and it looks like non members won't be able to view it, but it might be incentive for them  to sign up) They have a lot of great information learned from experience from last year.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ATL/04L.DENNIS/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html

Navy link......

Someone make it hot.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, we haven't dried out from Cindy all the way up here in metro Atlanta.  I have never seen the streets around here flood like last night, actually stranding cars.  I just don't recall ever seeing that here.

Now comes Dennis and it looks like he is coming out way.  Oh brother!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
In Pensacola fuel is already running low and there are lines (not too bad, but they are there) and this was at noon today. My gf said 87 grade is pretty much out. The BP's all jacked their prices up to $2.35, while everyone else is $2.12-$2.25... I reported the fuckers to the gouging hotline. Friggin' pumps were so slow today, the station I used took 40sec to pump a gallon of gas, this adds to the lines... Saw a fight

Plenty of water (the bottles that come in backs, gallon jugs are a PITA to find.)

No big thing, we have all been through it before... Shit happens.

I think it will be a 4+ when it hits, the Gulf is pretty damn warm right now.

The thing that is going to really suck with this sucker, compared to Ivan, is the heat. The outside temps were rather nice in the days following Ivan, it was rather cool at night. It's friggin' hot here now.

Anyone know if they have any new MRE menus ? Just so I know when the Guard starts handing them out again.

Stay Safe !
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw a guy from Pensacola on the news last night. He said that many of the homes had not been repaired from last year. If Dennis hits, does that mean they will be 2 insurance checks behind?
Speaking of insurance, I guess that means all our rates will go up regardless of where we live. Looks like it's time to shop around again. I was planning to get my agent to sign off on my CCW application. Better do it before I dump her!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I'm with you on this one brother! But, I rather have a brown lawn than the folks on the coast being homeless.

BTW: the field behind our house has burned twice in two weeks. Kids flicking cigs in the field while cutting through cause both.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that the high pressure area that has been protecting mainland Florida will be moving eastward and that will allow the hurricane to hit the peninsula.  The storm will take a path similar to the hurricanes of last year.

Mark my words.  One of the Gulf Coast cities (Ft Myers, Sarasota, St Pete, Tampa) will be hit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Many of the homes here in Central Florida have not been fixed yet as well.  The news people said today that it will reach a Cat. 4 by tomorrow.

Lowes was already out of propane tanks here today.  Costco has gas at $2.03.  Just filled up today.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
damn storm has winds up to 130mph according to NHC.  whoever is going to get hit by this one better hold on
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#19]
great cant wait....
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In Pensacola fuel is already running low and there are lines (not too bad, but they are there) and this was at noon today. My gf said 87 grade is pretty much out. The BP's all jacked their prices up to $2.35, while everyone else is $2.12-$2.25... I reported the fuckers to the gouging hotline. Friggin' pumps were so slow today, the station I used took 40sec to pump a gallon of gas, this adds to the lines... Saw a fight

Plenty of water (the bottles that come in backs, gallon jugs are a PITA to find.)

No big thing, we have all been through it before... Shit happens.

I think it will be a 4+ when it hits, the Gulf is pretty damn warm right now.

The thing that is going to really suck with this sucker, compared to Ivan, is the heat. The outside temps were rather nice in the days following Ivan, it was rather cool at night. It's friggin' hot here now.

Anyone know if they have any new MRE menus ? Just so I know when the Guard starts handing them out again.

Stay Safe !

Your so right it was very pleasant after Ivan, mid to upper 70's for highs, hell thats our lo's now.  I have a generator to run most household appliances but not the central ac. I was without power from Ivan for 15 days it would be awful to be without power in July for 15 days.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Man, I'm sitting right in the 10 ring.

Looks like I get to start boarding up tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
We are fucked. My phone has ben ringing constantly about concerned people in travel trailers and mobile homes. I spent the better part of the day going door to door delivering notices to not stay in the trailers during the storm. I think it is going to be pretty bad. If it wasn't for my job I would evacuate.

The only thing we can do is get an after-storm work party together and hit each others houses.

ETA: we still have over 2100 families in temporary trailers.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like I'm evacuating with an aircraft to Austin, TX. Time for a DRINKEX!
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Dennis Cat 4 as of 11pm NHC Advisories

current predicted path still towards pensacola/big bend of Florida, They forcast that it will drop back down to Cat3, but I don't see how, with the favorable conditions in the gulf right now.

good luck to ya all.....
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:23:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#27]
 Well guys, I was driving home this eve to Perdido Key (fob) from ATL, and it was rather interesting. The traffice going back to Pcola had Gensets, Wood, the whole nine yards (about every 12th vehicle). The gas lines started as far north as Hwy 29 and AL 113. Many had the pumps roped off due to being out. I hope a tanker or two (or three) makes it in to fill'er up.
 I stopped by the Wally World to pick up some CR123s for my Surefires and for the cheap amusment factor.
 Was a great day to have my Dodge 2500 CTD. No lines for fuel for me

Plywood goes up Fri/Sat.

Food Check
   Genny Check
   Fuel Check
   Water Check
   AR/Ammo Check
   oh yeah, Beer Check

Keep your fingers crossed. Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#28]
looked around some of the weather sites, and checked out some models. basically, nobody knows what will happen after dennis passes cuba, so much of the forcast and predictions are holding off any major changes until there is more data. we'll see what they say after  Friday evening, after dennis passes cuba, but, either way, it'll be bad for the northern part of the GOM
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep..they're already running out of gas. Our dunes cannot take a direct hit, this is not good. The water is going to go unabashed inland and flood everything.

I just got 65 gallons of gas for the generator and the lines are a half a mile long.

Did I mention this sucks?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The new computer models show a more eastward track. Two of the models show tracks following Charlie's path.
Anybody know where we can see last years predictions for Charlie at this time?

Yes, they were calling Tampa to evac and get ready.

I am in Destin, which will be front row if this follows the NHC track. I would guess it will recurve towards Apallachicola though...just a guess.

I'm praying you're right N-G.

Whats up Derek? If you need anything let me know, I got my Sheriff passes today so I can move around freely before and after. This sucks bud...totally sucks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#31]
does anyone have the links that show more than one predicted path?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Maybe not exactly what you want, but this is always a handy page.

Hurricane City
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#33]
thanks, but i am looking for the one on page two
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maybe not exactly what you want, but this is always a handy page.

Hurricane City

Great site Flapper..I like the Jamaican radar.

The next 24 hours will determine more about landfall...I think Pensacola may be spared. Just a hunch. I just hope it will get neutered over Cuba before coming to Destin/Fort Walton...we just don't need another storm.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope your hunch is right!

Anteverius, try this.

www.sfwmd.gov/site/index.php?id=50

Great, Jim Cantore brodcasting from Pensacola Beach
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Anteverius, try this.

Yeah..I know, it's like the kiss of death when he is front row..nothing against him. He was great last year when he came to town..very sympathetic. He looks like he's sick of this season already. They were interviewing a lady on P-beach and she started to tear up. This sucks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Gas in Pensacola is gone, so is about anything else that could be handy.  My vehicles are full, have everything else I could need, only lacking the generator. May have that problem solved tomorrow morning, though.

If it is bad, I live within walking distance of MREs, ice and water (I paid in advance April 15). Sam's Club is close by and there were 12 hour lines for gas going past my street into Sam's gas station.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#39]
so, who is riding this one out?   i might be coming back to p'cola to watch my dogs depending on how strong it gets.  otherwise, they gotta go with the mom.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes,  tomorrow will be real interesting. The panic is (has been) in the air.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yes,  tomorrow will be real interesting. The panic is (has been) in the air.

The people on the roads are driving in a panic too. Be careful to all those who will ride it out.

My wife and I just got the rest of the trees in the backyard cut down last Saturday, Ivan took care of almost all the rest. The 2 pines left after Ivan came down earlier this year.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Time to put in some OT! Still busting our butt in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores from Ivan. Here we go again!
Great Hurricane Info Site
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Sitting right in the path here... Getting ready to ship the wife and kids off as tomorrow we start 12 hour shifts, no leave, no days off untill further notice.

De ja fukin' vu...

It ain't natural sending your family off without you during a situation like this. Them leaving before Ivan was one of the worst things I have ever experienced...

I hope it goes somewhere else, damn it. We have had enough.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Overtimes up for the weekend. Looks like vacations are going to be canceled. Still have gas here, but it hit 2.40 a gallon tonight. Filling up on the way home tomorrow. I'd leave if it weren't for the fact that I'm required to stay.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Time to put in some OT! Still busting our butt in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores from Ivan. Here we go again!
Great Hurricane Info Site

awesome site.  i might have to come home even if my dogs wont be there, to experience this.  yeah, i know that is stupid, but i can always go to the hospital and hang with my dad if it is looking real bad.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Overtimes up for the weekend. Looks like vacations are going to be canceled. Still have gas here, but it hit 2.40 a gallon tonight. Filling up on the way home tomorrow. I'd leave if it weren't for the fact that I'm required to stay.

That gas price jumping really pisses me off. I've seen an average of .10 to .15 hike in the past two days around here. I'm sure for no other reason than to make and extra buck off of everyone trying to prepare. Bastards....
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Anteverius, try this.

A friend sat next to him on the plane in from ATL... Cantore thinks it's going to hit the Keys and bounce to the right. IMHO, he doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Let's hope though.

ETA: people are. once again, acting like total idiots... Some bitch backed out in front of me (I was going 55,) I honked my horn and the idiot turned around and CHASED me for over 10mi. Sometimes I wish I was a thug w/ the sideways ball cap. I ended up losing her when I turned onto a friend's dirt road.
Some dude went in and threatened the people @ the Shell station up the road.

Jeez, people....
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anteverius, try this.

A friend sat next to him on the plane in from ATL... Cantore thinks it's going to hit the Keys and bounce to the right. IMHO, he doesn't know WTF he's talking about. Let's hope though.

ETA: people are. once again, acting like total idiots... Some bitch backed out in front of me (I was going 55,) I honked my horn and the idiot turned around and CHASED me for over 10mi. Sometimes I wish I was a thug w/ the sideways ball cap. I ended up losing her when I turned onto a friend's dirt road.
Some dude went in and threatened the people @ the Shell station up the road.

Jeez, people....

Acid,
What part of FLA you in?

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Panama City Beach checking in.  Same deal here with the gas.  Alot of stations are out of gas and the others are about $.30 more a gallon than they were two days ago.  Just found out I'll be on patrol from 2200 tommorrow until this thing is over.  I really hope we don't get the 30+ tornadoes like we did with Ivan.  It appears right now like that's going to be the case (northeast corner).  If any of you guys relatively close need anything, I can get through the checkpoints if they shut it down.  IM me and I'll give you my contact info.  One things for sure, out of all of us in this thread, somebody is going to get hit hard.  The wife is heading down to her brothers house in Sebring tommorrow morning.  If you are even thinking about evacuating, you need to make reservations and leave by tommorrow morning if you don't want to be stuck on the roads.  Good luck all.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#50]
NW

SgtKiwi... Dude, FEMA overtime pay !
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top