Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
 I bought a Fisher & Paykel washer and dryer a four months ago,my wife loves 'em couldn't be happier.    I was turned off ( I wanted Maytag) initially because they don't look like a conventional washer and dryer.  I changed my mind after I saw how fast they would wash and dry a  load  of  clothes.

The washers tub is direct drive to the motor.  No belts ,to break. it spins clothes as fast as a front loader.  Your clothes will come out damn near dry, very little work for the dryer to do.

The controls are all push button, no dials.  A small, light washer that will take a super size load.

Lowes carries them.  Don't let the looks and name fool you

I wouldnt recomend them.  I am glad you have had good luck with yours, but I work in returns, and belive me they are POS.

Plus if you need a repair, who you gonna call?  Not alot a service companys for them yet.

The problem we see most is just plain breakage.  Their is alot of plastic on and in them, and it breaks!

Good luck

Travis
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:28:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have had a Kenmore HE set for a little over 2 years......they a fucking cool......thay are also built by Whirlpool....not all Kemore stuff is, but these happened to be. The only prob we had was a panel display that went out under warranty ( was a known problem with an upgrade fix ) that was like 3 months after we got them. Not a single problem since. I have never let laundry excite me, but these come close to making you WANT to do the wash.

( BTW......they were a wedding present......my poor broke ass woulnd'ta been able to drop 2K on a friggin' washer/dryer set...)

I hear you brother, what man would drop 2K on a friggin washer/dryer.  There are plenty of toys we can buy for that kind of money.

I have Bosch, but like byte the bullet, i have good conections!$1000 out the door with extended waranty.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#3]
One more thing about the front loaders.  You dont have to use HE detergent.  Just use less of your normal stuff.

HE is a scam!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#4]
LG at the Homeless Depot.

maytagfrontloadsettlement.com/
URL says it all.

Maytag Settles Neptune Washer Lawsuit

April 19, 2005
Maytag has settled a consumer class action suit alleging odor, mold and mildew problems with Maytag Neptune Washers.

More than two million consumers are included in the class, and may receive repair reimbursements, replacement costs up to $500, and/or washing machine purchase certificates up to $1000.

According to documents filed in the Circuit Court for the State of Illinois, many Maytag consumers have complained of their machine functioning improperly and clothing covered in mold, as a result of problems with the door latch, wax motor, motor control, and related circuit boards.

"The stench was awful," said Anne of Treasure Island, Fla., in a complaint to ConsumerAffairs.Com. "I was told to wash the boot and the gasket in the door once a week. Use only a certain detergent. Wipe the door and the inside down with bleach once a week and then leave the door open for 2 hours after each washing."

"I was washing my washer more than I was washing my laundry," she said.

Under the settlement, those who purchased a Maytag Neptune Front-Load Washing Machine (any model, including stackables) any time between April 1, 1997 to August 9, 2004 are entitled to one or more of the following remedies:

a) Repair Reimbursements, defined as any reasonable out-of-pocket costs related to repairs prior to August 9, 2004 for problems mentioned in the suit.

b) Replacement Costs of up to $500, subject to depreciation, for each Maytag customer who replaced their Maytag Neptune Washer prior to August 9, 2004 as a result of the problems mentioned in the suit.

c) Washing Machine Purchase Certificates of up to $1000, if class member suffer the problems mentioned in the suit, and Maytag can't repair the condition. The value of the certificate is based on the age of the machine. The certificates may be used for the purchase of a new Neptune Washer. Maytag will also cover delivery of the new machine and disposal of the old unit.

What To Do
To qualify for a remedy, consumers must complete and send in a claim form. Claim forms can be obtained by calling 866-288-0515 or visiting the class action website, www.maytagfrontloadsettlement.com. All claim forms must be sent back in by August 9, 2005.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Whirlpool Bids $1.3 Billion For Maytag

July 18, 2005
That lonesome Maytag repairman suddenly has plenty of company. Whirlpool is among the companies competing to acquire the struggling appliance maker, eclipsing an offer made in May by an investment group led by Ripplewood Holdings LLC.

The $1.3 billion dollar Whirlpool offer is significantly more than the current offer on the table and represents a ten percent increase over Maytag?s closing stock price on Friday. And it may not be the final offer, since an investment group headed by Chinese appliance maker Haier has also expressed an interest in making a bid.

Maytag is best known for its washing machines, as well as its Hoover, Jenn-Air, Amana, and Jade brands of appliances. Whirlpool produces a wide range of appliances under the KitchenAid and Roper brand names.

Based in Newton, Iowa, Maytag has been squeezed by high labor costs and ruthless foreign competition. Its new owners are expected to move much of its production offshore and try to increase its penetration of foreign markets. Currently, about 12 percent of Maytag's products are made abroad.

Maytag's competitors, including Whirlpool and General Electric, have moved more than half their production overseas, giving them major cost advantages over Maytag. Maytag's domestic workforce is heavily unionized.

The company's quality control has slipped in recent years. An embarrassing design flaw caused mildew to collect in some washing machine models. Earlier this year Best Buy stopped selling Maytag washers and dryers, while Home Depot added appliances from a Maytag competitor.

Maytag employs about 18,000 workers worldwide, about 1,300 of them at its main plant in Newton. Many of the Newton jobs could be in jeopardy as the new owners work to slash costs. In a letter accompanying its bid proposal, Whirlpool said it expects it could achieve significant cost savings by combining the two companies? operations.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Maytag Sold to Investor Group

May 20, 2005
Fabled appliance company Maytag is being purchased for $1.1 billion by an investment group led by Ripplewood Holdings LLC. The company -- which makes Maytag, Hoover, Jenn-Air and Amana appliances -- will be taken private, removing it from public scrutiny while it struggles to cut costs and respond to intensifying global competition.
News

Based in Newton, Iowa, Maytag has been squeezed by high labor costs and ruthless foreign competition. Its new owners are expected to move much of its production offshore and try to increase its pentration of foreign markets. Currently, about 12 percent of Maytag's products are made abroad.

Maytag's competitors, including Whirlpool and General Electric, have moved more than half their production overseas, giving them major cost advantages over Maytag. Maytag's domestic workforce is heavily unionized.

The company's quality control has slipped in recent years. An embarrassing design flaw caused mildew to collect in some washing machine models.

Maytag employs about 18,000 workers worldwide, about 1,300 of them at its main plant in Newton. Many of the Newton jobs could be in jeopardy as the new owners work to slash costs.

Maytag also faces new Asian competitors, including LG Electronics, the South Korean manufacturer that stole the spotlight last year with a refrigerator that featured a flat-screen television in its door panel.

Maytag introduced its first washing machine in 1907.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's my Whirlpool Duet story:

Bought the washer and the dryer sevral months ago.

One day, the dryer just quits.....fried electronics.

I call the warranty service co....7 days. The guy comes out, inspects the thing, and says "It's fried. I'll order the part and I'll be back in a week or so"

...one week passes...
...ten days....
sevice co call to varify my address for the delivery of the parts.

Actul quotes:
"WTF????? These parts are supposed to be in my fucking machine days ago and you haven't shiiped 'em yet? Fuck you. Overnight them. Click"

I call the Lowes I bought them at. Talked to the MOD. He agrees that this is unacceptable. Has a new one to me in three days.

The new parts (two big boxes) show up at my doorstep the next day. UPS next day. No sig.

Haven't received a call from the service co yet.

These parts are going on ebay soon
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here's my Whirlpool Duet story:

Bought the washer and the dryer sevral months ago.

One day, the dryer just quits.....fried electronics.

I call the warranty service co....7 days. The guy comes out, inspects the thing, and says "It's fried. I'll order the part and I'll be back in a week or so"

...one week passes...
...ten days....
sevice co call to varify my address for the delivery of the parts.

Actul quotes:
"WTF????? These parts are supposed to be in my fucking machine days ago and you haven't shiiped 'em yet? Fuck you. Overnight them. Click"

I call the Lowes I bought them at. Talked to the MOD. He agrees that this is unacceptable. Has a new one to me in three days.

The new parts (two big boxes) show up at my doorstep the next day. UPS next day. No sig.

Haven't received a call from the service co yet.

These parts are going on ebay soon

Well at least Lowe's took care of you!  In my experience the Duet is like a Timex.  Cant go wrong with 'em.

Travis
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top