Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2001 4:40:23 AM EDT
I have been notified that the public schools in many areas are now using a text book published by Glencoe/McGraw Hill titled (American Pageant: Building a Nation; Appleby, et al, 2000, ISBN 0-02-821876-0). On page 242 of this book it says that the Second Amendment's purpose is "to guarantee states the right to keep a militia." This is the junk that our school system is stuffing into our children. By the way, the toll free number for Glencoe/McGraw Hill is 1-800-334-7344, perhaps we should give them a call and tell them what we think of their text book.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 4:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
[:(!]   i really should read these AFTER my coffee! i think that calling the schools that use these rags for textbooks would be a better bet. go to a school board/PTA meeting and express your displeasure that children are not being taught an accurate account of their history. since the books are already bought and in use, i doubt that they will throw them out, but you can demand that teachers clarify REALITY when they get to that section. remember the public-school book-bannings? all meaningfull protest was lodged first within the guilty schools, and eventually spread out from there. thanks for the heads-up!
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 5:38:44 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's any consolation, the history book my sister had recently in her high school (Skyline High School, Sammamish, WA) had not diced words in the least, and had pretty much spelled out the 2nd as written.  Sorry I don't remember name/publisher off hand.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't surprise me.  When I was helping my children with their history homework, the text books would discuss extensively and purpose of all the twenty-somthing Amendments, but when it came to the 2nd, one sentence, and it was over.  If I remember correctly, they just copy something straight from the wording of he original 2nd Amendent.  I can tell that the authors were just gritting their collective teeth, even for the sentence they did mention.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
lets not forget the schools who buy 2 sets of books for thier students because parents claimed that their kids wer having back trouble from having to carry a book bag/backpack.

If this fucking country gets any more sissy and lawsuit happy....
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If it's any consolation, the history book my sister had recently in her high school (Skyline High School, Sammamish, WA) had not diced words in the least, and had pretty much spelled out the 2nd as written.  Sorry I don't remember name/publisher off hand.
View Quote

RARE INDEED!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top