Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 9:00:15 PM EDT
I get in, they throw a bunch of hardware in my lap and say "ok, build yourself a computer"

hehehe..

I got a $300 3D video card put in (GeForce2 Ultra), out of the box new. New big ass leather cushy headphones and a HUGE 21 inch monitor, a new optical mouse that is called the "iFeel" where when ya move it over an icon on your computer is vibrates real quick so you feel what you are clicking on, hehehe. Then I went and put 256 megs of memory in my system. A ton of memory. One of the techs walks by and is all "why did you put only 2 sticks in there?" I'm all: "well 256 is a good amount for Windows 2000" and he's all "shit... put two more sticks in there man! Put as much as that board will take!" haha! Oh yeah... I'm in heaven :)

All the people are soooo nice, reaaalllly cool.

Here is my schedule: 8:30am, Breakfast with the whole team.

11:30am, lunch. 12pm, game of Counter Strike game vs. another Intel development team. 1pm back to work. Oh and we have a big HDTV with DVD player and surround sound so we can "test" out put video and we also "test" DVD movies on our PC's since all our PC's have DVD drives :)

I was sittin there installing INF drivers on my new system getting it ready and they were all "you need to stop that shit and get counter strike on there!!" and 3 other techs come up and are all "shit it's 11 man! get goin!! Here map this drive and copy the map packs.." haha!

The rest of the time is intense work testing video chips with MANY different operating systems and different hardware. And of course I test Intel's new chips, all of the chips I was testing had "SECRET" stamped on them, I can't tell you any more since I signed something saying I can't talk about their new products, hehehe. They let you play between work. Why the fuck couldn't IBM do this? Fucking stuffed corporate suits.. They never trusted their employees, so we slacked off between jobs. Like taking 2 hours to install a stick of memory, lol. Everyone at Intel is friendly, they smile and are laid back. They said I was too dressed up, LMAO!! I had on black slacks, black T and my combat jump boots. Everyone else was wearing slippers, shorts, T-shirts with funny logos on them.

I got my own cubicle, nice comfy chair and even my own white board... oh yeah... I like this job :)
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:04:30 PM EDT
[#1]

I hope those jump boots were highly polished.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Polished them Sunday night.  [:)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Polished them Sunday night.  [:)]
View Quote

I had this long winded story wishing you good luck but I deleted it and just decided to write this.

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#4]
boy, and i thought testing condoms would be a fun job. they just handed me an air hose and i blow one up every batch or so...
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got an Intel Corporate Dress Code question -

Are you required to wear socks with your flip-flops?  [:P]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey man, ask 'em why they don't have more drivers for the OR840 workstation board. I can't get the MIDI to work. Hell, I don't even know if it has MIDI! :)

Good luck with the new gig!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#7]
So what happens when they catch you cruising AR15.com on company time. We know it is just a matter of time cause you like the rest of us are the black rifle equivilent of a crack whore?
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]
That does sound sweet. What did you goto school for? I'm looking fora new job.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Intel hired Frank the Spank?

(Note to self: sell Intel short ASAP)
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
hehehe, thanks duders.

They said there is a hiring freeze and it's amazing I was hired. I guess they really needed people in our dept.

Today I did some work. I tested 5 machines with Windows XP validating video drivers. We test one set of drives a billion times with a billion different configs. Then I setup 2 machines to be tested... wheew.. I just jumped right in it today.

Steel Rat: "Are you required to wear socks with your flip-flops? "

LOL, well from the Bloodhound gang song "If I were god thou shall not wear tube socks with flip flops"

Duuuuuudes... I saw some SHIT today!!!

I got taken to the War Room, LOL, well I called it the war room. It was Intels world center. They put it in Folsom CA cause I guess no natural disasters happen there. Well... guess they didn't think about the decommissioned rotting nuclear power plant a few miles away and now CA's energy crisis, LMAO

Security was TIGHT!! I mean you couldn't get a pin of securities ass with a jack hammer. Anyways.. it's this big black room with all theses stations and BIG scenes. Ever see the movie War Games? Oh man... I was in awe.

And did I mention how much I like my job?!?! hehehe, Intel is just fucking cool. Going from stuffed 1950's suits at IBM to Intel is like night and day... the people at Intel are happy. Intel treats their employees very well.

God... I fucking hate IBM... assholes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:10:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Frank, if I send you my 90 mHz. P5 CPU with the FPU bug, can you give me one that's fixed? he he You do remember the P5 FPU bug, right? :)
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Floating point error in the math co-processor cerca April 95 when Intel issued the recall.  I had to oversee the swap in literally thousands of machines while national ops. super for a rental company.

It was a P1 version 5 (586) codename "P5" or "P54c" for socket 5 and 7 60 to 66mhz motherboards.  The error actually existed in P60's, P90's and P100's manufactured in 94 and earlier.  The recall was only issued for the 90's unless you pitched a bitch.  I actually had customers at Allen Bradley / Rockwell Automation find the error in mid 94 long before it received any publicity at all.  Man that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 6:48:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#18]
That's what I have, a 90 mHz. P54c. I want a friggin' replacement Intel! Get off your butts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top