Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2001 1:44:25 PM EDT
I am now in this phase where i want to streamline my collection, limiting my calibers and weapon formats. I have already done this with my handguns; all but one are single action ( i consider the Keltec P32 a looong SA). I am tempted to go all .45, but the wife does have a 9mm. Rifles, .223 of course. I guess i would call it a 'utility phase,' as all the stuff with no distinct 'purpose' seem to bother me. Is that weird?

For rifles, i really like the AR15 format, and will not give up my ARs. For handguns, i'll keep my 1911s. Everything else is just assorted stuff, .357, 9mm, .308, .22, 12 ga. I really don't see the need of keeping these things around. But on the other hand, i DO want to keep what i have, as someday, we may lose our right to buy more guns. And someday, lose our right to keep what we have. Decisions, decisions. Argh, the confusion.

Ok, possibly this is motivated by my extreme desire to get an M1A and not having the funds to do it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I never sell off my weapons, unless I get an amazing deal for a trade.  Save up for the M1A.  Wait 'til you have enough money to buy it and a case or so of ammo and then wait until you find a good deal.  

A lot of us, myself included, can't wait to get a new gun and kick ourselves when a great deal comes along that we don't have the money to get because we spent it on a so-so deal a week before.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Never EVER EVER sell any guns.   Keep them forever and hand them down to your children/relatives.

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Go ahead and sell them. If I had never sold a gun, I wouldn't have some of the cool stuff I have right now and I wouldn't have had the chance to shoot and play around with a wide variety of makes and models.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never EVER EVER sell any guns.   Keep them forever and hand them down to your children/relatives.

View Quote

i agree, think of the children!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold my SAR-2 a year ago and REALLY regret it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats how I upgraded my collection. Trading and selling. With the M1A in mind you have a goal to
work towards. Life is much simplier now having
only 3 calibers to deal with, .45.223.308.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Sell them.  To me.  For the right price.  [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
That is how I upgraded my collection. Trading and selling. With the M1A in mind you have a goal to work towards. Life is much simplier now having only 10 calibers to deal with, .22 cb short long magnum, 30-30, 30-06, .41,.45,.223,
.308.[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I live by two rules in life.

Never sell your guns that you don't intend to replace

and Never sell land that you can't replace.

Both are scarce resources.  Most people that I know who have done one of the two regret it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
You'll regret selling any of your guns, maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow but someday you'll be participating in the "What guns I shouldn't have sold" thread [;)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]
When the time comes and people show up empty handed, what are you going to issue them if you sold off your "excess" guns?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies. I think this all stems from my frustration from wanting an M1A but not being quite there. Do i have the money? Yeah, i can probably get it together fairly easily. However, there are so many other things that i should take care of first before i feed another snake to the safe. Selling stuff to get other stuff would get me there quicker, but you guys are right, some of the items i just plain like, purpose or not!

There is only one gun that i regret dumping, actually. A preban SGW. I sold a Para, a Glock, a Colt, a Garand, and i can pretty much live with those being gone...

Imbroglio, I didn't say i would limit the number of guns owned. 1 SIG and 1 AR would turn into 2 ARs, not 1 less gun!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My friend REALERIC and I made an agreement that we would sell off any weapons that didn't meet the following criteria -

1. Caliber must be either common (.22, 12 ga.,
  etc.) or military (.223, 7.62NATO, 7.62x39mm
  etc.)
2. Magazines must be readily available (AKs,
  ARs, M-16s, FALs, HKs, etc.)
3. Parts must be readily available (military
  surplus, common, etc.) (There went my .223
  Valmets, his Ruger Mini-14s)

We exempted any inherited weapons of GREAT sentemental value, or 'first guns', but every other weapon is/was on the table.

I particularly like weapons, whose parts and supplies can be found in any national guard armory.  In times of civil disturbance and unrest, this alone can make life easier.

'Course you know REALERIC would take it a little too far by going out and buying .50 cal rifles! Hell, they fit our requirements.

Eric The(NoCal.22-250sForMe)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, heck, let's see what you've got.  Only then can we make an informed decision.  

One good test that's worked for me when I felt like selling a gun is: "would I buy this gun again if I could get it at the same price?"  

On principle I would recommend against selling anything the least bit rare.  You are sure to kick yourself for it (unless you really happen to hate the gun.)

There is really no good reason to limit your calibers.  Every caliber has a purpose, I like to think.  Besides, an odd caliber is no reason to forsake an otherwise favorite gun.

And remember: the guns that you feel have "no distinct purpose" now may be just the thing in different, future circumstances.  We are all blinded by the tyranny of the present to some extent.

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Its up to you. I went through the same thing when I "needed" to sell some and decided to stick with what I shoot well and am familiar with (ironically AR's and 1911's also). It is nice to have the mags, ammo and parts all interchangable, kinda like having a garage full of Chevy 350's ect.                                       As for one of the guns I sold, lets just say I quickly turn the page when I see a Springfield M1A ad.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally I enjoy some of the oddball cal., ugly, useless guns that I own. These are the spice of your collection. I have struggled with the question of "streamlining" before and have decided to keep what I got and keep adding.

Streamlining is a good idea tactically or whatever, but I enjoy some of the classics and I like having a well-rounded collection.

I have finally realized I want all the guns I can possibly afford. When I get the AR I want, then a few weeks later I really to get a shorty, and so on.

I guess my point is, unless you have a few guns you really don't care for, don't sell them. You'll regret it in the end.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Personally I enjoy some of the oddball cal., ugly, useless guns that I own. These are the spice of your collection. I have struggled with the question of "streamlining" before and have decided to keep what I got and keep adding.

Streamlining is a good idea tactically or whatever, but I enjoy some of the classics and I like having a well-rounded collection.

I have finally realized I want all the guns I can possibly afford. When I get the AR I want, then a few weeks later I really to get a shorty, and so on.

I guess my point is, unless you have a few guns you really don't care for, don't sell them. You'll regret it in the end.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Should I sell my guns?

I know they say there is no such thing as a stupid question, but I think we just found the exception to the rule.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 11:45:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep 'em. You never know.....You may one day have to issue some out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top