Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2001 8:02:08 PM EDT
Saw an article in a magazine a while back regarding a magazine fed m1 garand.  It was also compact.  Anybody got any info on this?
thanks,
ptp
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
i know of A mag fed garand type. it was made by beratta i belive after WW2. it was basicly a SBR garand with a folding metal stock and detachble mags. buymilitaria.com or a link form that site might have one for sale. i bet its quite a handfull though
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i think someone US gov? made a prototpe m1 garand that used BAR mags then it evolved into the MIA1
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]

I believe your talking about the BM59. I think you can find a few gunsmiths that can make the modifications to a M1 Garand but I have no idea who or how much it would cost. Sometime there are parts sets available in the Shotgun News. Try Sarco Inc.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:21:03 AM EDT
[#4]
There's been some conversions available.  Most are done in .308 with M14 mags.  BAR mag conversions are possible(I've seen two), but because of the size of the mag, it gets difficult to do right.  Generally speaking the quality of the conversion depends on who did it.  Many don't work at all, some work like they were originally made for it.  Majority seem to be on the unreliable side.  When you find one that works though, they do work good and they're a nice size gun.

Remember that if you do have a conversion done, it's now a post-ban gun because of the detachable mag.  Not a big deal, just consider that if you add any evil features.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i think someone US gov? made a prototpe m1 garand that used BAR mags then it evolved into the MIA1
View Quote
                                         There were a number of prototypes which were mag fed. these really did`nt make it to issue status for the us, since it was the evolution of the m14 (as cyrax says)
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:12:00 AM EDT
[#6]
There is a guy who does these conversions, it takes M14 mags. I've seen his ad in SGN.

The M1 Garand is a wonderfull design. Leave it be.
If you want a box fed 7.62NATO, get an M14 / M1A, or FAL type rifle.
[b]Don't butcher the Garand.[/b]
The M1 Garand is a piece of history, a good number of them have survived combat.
Years ago, I told an old timer that the M14 was better than the M1 once, because of the improved gas system and 20round mag.
He proceeded to show me what a trained M1 rifleman and some 8 round en-bloc clips can do.
That rifle can lay down some cover fire, if you know how to use it.
With the en-bloc clips, you load them up and never have to worry about the magazine spring getting weak. With the Garand, the magazine spring remains in the weapon.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/wg/kE/wK/YS20043.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Theres a couple BM-59's listed on [url]http://www.GunsAmerica.net[/url]

One is $1300, the other was $1900.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
OK...

Now what is the difference between an M14 and a BM59???

Didn't Springfield Armory sell a similar looking version of the M14 with an integral pistol grip also?
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have any questions on why not to do a Garand conversion, go to www.fulton-armory.com, follow to the Garand FAQ's.
For information on the BM59 and parts, and some recently imported BM's, go to www.reesesurplus.com.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Part-time Pork:
Saw an article in a magazine a while back regarding a magazine fed m1 garand.  It was also compact.  Anybody got any info on this?
thanks,
ptp
View Quote

There is a place that has an ad in Shotgun News most of the time that does these conversions. Your referring to an M-1 "tanker" converted to accept M-14 mags. Sorry I don't have Shotgun News handy and I can remember the name but pick one up and it is likely to have the ad. BTW I think that's why they made the M-14 but if its what you want, go for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK...

Didn't Springfield Armory sell a similar looking version of the M14 with an integral pistol grip also?
View Quote
The BM59 is a modification on a Garand by Beretta(if I remember correctly) and used by the Italians for a while.  The M14 is a different gun.  It is an evolution of a Garand but is not the same.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
But do they use the same barrel/action/sights as an M14?

Looks like the mag is different on the BM59 though.

Yeah, and what's up with this Beretta model 62??
That looks pretty cool too!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Remember that if you do have a conversion done, it's now a post-ban gun because of the detachable mag.  Not a big deal, just consider that if you add any evil features.

Ross
View Quote

Unless you're using a Century or Lithgow gun (which I'd recommend for this type conversion) we're talking about a receiver made in the 40's or 50's and therefore most assurdely pre-ban.  You're right that it could be an iffy situation, but ATF would look like total mud at a jury trial for a guy with a 1940's Garand with a detachable mag, folding stock, and bayonet lug!
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#17]
the thing is all M1 Garands exept thos with detachatble mags are execempt from the crime bill! the 8 round clip doesnt count as a detachable mag
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By LARRY G:
Quoted:
OK...

View Quote
The BM59 is a modification on a Garand by Beretta(if I remember correctly) and used by the Italians for a while.  The M14 is a different gun.  It is an evolution of a Garand but is not the same.
View Quote

They used the BM59 for more than a while, I know for a fact that they were using them in Somalia in 94'.  They only use the short barrled Alpini and Para versions now.  But the original BM59 looked [i]exactly[/i] like a Garand with a M14 box sticking out of it.  In the 60's they brought out the two short versions with 17.7 in barrels which differ only in that the Para has a folding butstock and pistol grip, and the Alpini with a fixed pistol grip stock.  Both are radically different from the origninal BM59, besides the short barrels they have a short gas system like the US M14, with a long compensator/flash hider/grenade launcher. Some also came with a bipod.

The Italian contingent in Somalia looked like some sort of exotic weapons collectors meeting.  In just one news photo I saw four different kinds of shoulder arm- BM59s, AR70's, a SPAS-15, and a Beretta M38/49 SMG! Couldnt they make up their minds?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top