Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2001 12:33:32 PM EDT
company's require you to give them your SSN# before service is granted!!

I went into my local cell shop to renew my contract with U.S. Celular. While filling out the form it asked for SSN#, I skipped right over it, signed and handed it to the pimple faced kid.  After he checked the form over he said that I could not renew my contract without giving him my number. I told him that "NO ONE gets my SSN# unless you are the IRS, and if you can't give me service I'll just walk across the
street and sign up with your competitor"  After some humming and hawwing he said "well since you are a repeat customer I guess we can let it slide"

If I can go into a gun shop and buy a gun without a SSN# because the little yellow form says "OPTIONAL" then you shouldn't need one for a little piece of plastic.

rant mode off
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are things that different in Idaho?

I've lived in Illinois, Colorado, Washington and California in recent years. Try renting an apartment, opening a bank account, making a stock investment, or getting a home or auto loan without presenting your SSN.
View Quote

The bank account and stock trade are IRS requirements, so those institutions can report income to the IRS, so they aren't totally to blame.  

The home loan is to your benefit, so they can report interest you PAID to the IRS, so you can deduct it.

The others just want it so they can uniquely identify you for credit purposes.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Paul, sorry, not a trust fund kid. I've worked very hard to be where I'm at. I honestly don't know the last time I've had to put my SSN# down.
I probably did when I purchased my home.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I am a long time customer who just needed to renew my contract. I am already entered into their system which shows that I pay my bills on time.  When I filled out the form their where 3 carbon copies of it. I really don't want my number floating around on that many copies.

It's just a little more intrusion into your life everyday and people don't seem to mind if it doesn't preclude you from having your comforts.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats because buying and owning a firearm is a god given right and buying and using a cell phone is a contract that you enter with a company, the contract pells out your responsibilities, one of them is giving up this SS number, myself, I would impolitiely refuse, or make one up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Make one up.  Most of the idiots asking are too stupid to worry about it .  They just want all the little blanks filled in.  
Once, I gave some clerk only 8 digits.  She went nuts trying to figure out what to do with the empty space.  told her I was born while my father was in the military on the other side of the international dateline and only was given an 8 digit number.  Scary thought is she votes.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
In Washington State you won't buy a hunting license without one.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thats because buying and owning a firearm is a god given right and buying and using a cell phone is a contract that you enter with a company, the contract pells out your responsibilities, one of them is giving up this SS number, myself, I would impolitiely refuse, or make one up.
View Quote

"god" had nothing to do with you owning a firearm!
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I have having a inmate...oh I mean a social security number.  Pisses me off that we are all tagged.  
Hey idaho-ar15 what part of Idaho you from?  Im in Idaho all the time maybe we could get some range time in next time im up there.  
Feel Free to E-mail me
[email protected]
Riz
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 4:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
same thing happened to me,fugit!there are only 4 legal reasons you have to use yourSS# for.taxes,drivers license,phone sex and something else.when i informed them that they were not getting my number ,they told me it would be a $1000 deposit.can you guess my response?a friend told me if you were in business,you could get by w/o it.just getting you primed for the national ID card.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 6:29:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#13]
A few years ago MO started using SSN's for drivers license numbers. When I renewed mine I refused and they refused to renew my license. We fought over it for several weeks and a judge finally determined that they can not force you to give your SSN. Part of the argument I used was the fact that people often have to show their DL as identification to persons that have no business with their SSN. With it on the DL there is no way to conceal it from those persons. The license bureau, as a result, will no longer try to force MO drivers to use their SSN as their DL number.

No one and by God I mean no one gets my social security number. My bank does not even have it. We fought over that and they decided it was in their best interest to leave it alone. It is not their place to report you interest gained. It is the tax payers responsibility. That is how people that are self employeed report their income. Not the fucking bank.
A person can also secure a lone without using their SSN. It takes much longer and is a pain in the ass to both the lender and the borrower but it can be done.
Don't just make up a number and give to the silly bastard demanding it. If you do they think they have won and you gave in to them. Rip them a new ass and threaten to sue their balls off if they persist. Then if they persist do it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make one up.  Most of the idiots asking are too stupid to worry about it .  They just want all the little blanks filled in.  
View Quote

When I got my Blockbuster rental card the clerk insisted that I fill in my SS number.  So I said, 123-45-6789.  The clerk noticed and said "Really?!?", I said yes and 10 years later I still rent from the tards.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#15]
the first few responses to my thread had me thinking that I must be some kind of SSN# extremist. But the later posts mellowed me out.
Thanks for the posts guys
idaho-ar15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top