Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2001 11:43:08 AM EDT
Well, I had to go take my ASVAB the 3rd.... it really sucked....

Red Flag #1) Its at the National Guard Armory in Gary, IN.... UGH!

Red Flag #2) this place looked like a fuggin parole hearing, out of the 20 guys there, only 2 were white.. including me, and only 5 looked like they werent gangbangers, again including me....

I committed untold felonies by carrying my Glock 30, but an unarmed white dude in gary, is a dead white dude, I hate going there... Think I scared a few of the homies tho when I was sitting there cleaning my nails with an emerson commander, after I finished 10 minutes before everyone else on just about every test... [:)]

Got a 97% too [:D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It can't be as bad as that time you had to get tested for "the clap", when the shoved that thing down the end of your........
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait until you go to basic. You'll really get a good idea as to whats coming in the military these days. We've had some real winners join the unit in the last few months. 18-19 year olds with kids and arrest records. The little bastards bump all the airmen down on the hosuing list because they cant live in the barracks. They dont want to work, they spout off to NCO's. Were about due for a war and look what were getting. Taco Bell and Wal-Mart are getting better recruits than the military.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I had to go take my ASVAB the 3rd.... it really sucked....

Red Flag #2) this place looked like a fuggin parole hearing, out of the 20 guys there, only 2 were white.. including me, and only 5 looked like they werent gangbangers, again including me....
View Quote

That no doubt helped your score.  The thing about the ASVAB is that they grade you as an average against the people who took the test with you.  The more knuckle-draggers and people who silently mouth the question in the room, the better.  Congratulations, btw.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about a prostrate exam!
View Quote

You think those are bad, try a prostate BIOPSY. [moon]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The thing about the ASVAB is that they grade you as an average against the people who took the test with you.
View Quote

I'd never heard that.  Is that really true?  [>:/]

Congratulations, good score... 'course mine was a 99. [;D]
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, it's true.  Ever wonder how you can score over 100 on some of the sections?
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#8]
as former recruiter i must have helped administer a couple of thou asvabs. first the asvab is not just an ordinary test but a compilation of phsyco exams that test the ability of the individual to learn. these test are constantly being revised about every 3 years to take into acount the social nuances of language and the common changes in word meaning as each generation deviates from the english language. anywho the point of the asvab is dollars! an individual enters into a recruiting station and declares that he wants to be a mechanic, he's given a screening test just to see if he's worth the time and money to administer the asvab. if he passes that and he hasen't fallen in love or been told the horror stories by the left wing about all the babies he'll be required to kill, shortly before his own demise. he takes the asvab. the test actually teachs you the answers as you take it. it tests an individual ability to conciously and sub-conciously learn from chained information. for example (and i do mean example) question 1 will hold the answer for question 3 and 2 may hold the answer for 5 and so on and so forth. this information is extremely important when the services try to offer up schools and programs to the kids considering the service. 1 - you don't want to put anyone into a program that you know will fail, because it costs money! 2 - it is depressing to an individual, his moral and his/her classmates when that individual fails. because it is the team that that wins the battles and the war, not the individual. 3 - the test IS called an aptitude test! it can determine what an individual has a perpecity for. now before you all start screaming at me. most individuals have lots of abilities and anyone can learn anything if time wasn't a factor. but the truth be told do you want an individual on your team whose always a couple of chapters behind the rest of the team. now the next part that always seems difficult for individuals to accept. i'm sure i qualified for mechanics but they offered me a cooks position or a clerical position. well johnny the bad news is yes you probably did qualified for a mechanical job but we're not hiring or training mechanics right now!  a extremely difficult thought to get through peoples heads. the jobs that come up at meps were allocated based on complex equations that said that there will be an opening in a particular job field at a particular command based on an atrition (i.e. someone decide to retire,get out or got thrown out, and someone inside the service (by the way guys in the org always have pri over guys not in the service) has not requested the placement.
so johnny don't get mad at the recruiter if you want to be a mech and your offered the job of being a cook or administrator. just try to understand the reasons why.  i prided myself on being able to look myself in the mirror every single day doing right for my service, my country and the kids i placed into the service.
i never promised a rainbow and a pot of gold without stepping into a pile of crap once in a while. after i left recruiting i bumped into a few of the individuals i put in.  some of the boys were being discharged and some were going to schools and others were at their commands doing their jobs and not once did anyone of those kids yell call me names bitch me out ect. the all said i told it like it was. retired for 5 years now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Gangbangers and such?  That sort of contradicts an article I read just yesterday.  Admittedly, The Herald (which serves suburban Chicagoland) is as left as many other media publications.  But they had some interesting numbers on recruitment.  Basically, all the services were well ahead of goals with recruits at least having college education, if not degrees.  The reason cited was lucrative enlistment bonuses and school loan repayments.  The Army had the highest repayment amount, about $50,000.  Hopefully the trash you guys were seeing is a fading anomally.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Quoted:
The thing about the ASVAB is that they grade you as an average against the people who took the test with you.
View Quote

I'd never heard that.  Is that really true?  [>:/]

Congratulations, good score... 'course mine was a 99. [;D]
View Quote

I don't think that's correct either.

I have a 130 GT score since we're bragging. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about a prostrate exam!

Originally Posted By 71-Hour Achmed:
You think those are bad, try a prostate BIOPSY.
View Quote

Try Brachytherapy, prostate seed impantation.

Link Posted: 7/7/2001 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the GT?  A 99 is supposed to be a perfect score on the ASVAB.
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#13]
geee the test is real tough...I remember a question:

Which one is a mammal:
a: rock
b: tree
c: Human
d: water
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Tree.....

Do I get the job?

Link Posted: 7/9/2001 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Lt. AR_Rifle, step forward...... [beer]
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#16]
tough,,what a joke,,took it over in 1999 before that in 75,,,total joke
Link Posted: 7/9/2001 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Miss Magnum:
Quoted:
View Quote

What's the GT?  A 99 is supposed to be a perfect score on the ASVAB.
View Quote

Your score of 99 is the AFQT.  This is only used during the enlistment process, to determine your overall eligibility to enlist.  The max AFQT score is 99.

An AFQT score of 50-99 is considered a -3A; 31-49 is a -3B; 16-29 is what we consider a "Cat 4", or an individual that didn't do well AT ALL on the ASVAB.

The score that [b]11BravoE5[/b] is referring to is the GT, an overall score, along with the individual line scores (EL, CL, MM, etc.) which are used from the point that you look for your particular job.  The GT is what is used from then on.  

I don't know what the max GT score is, but we know from [b]11BravoE5[/b] that it goes at least as high as 130.

You will never see the AFQT score after you enlist.

NOTE:  This is all from when I was in Recruiting, 10 years ago.  There might be some discrepancies.

Chris
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top