Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2001 1:47:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Does anyone even make toy guns anymore???

I had some good ones when I was little.  Years after they started making all toy guns in neon green, yellow, orange or red.  I wonder if you can go to a toy store and get any kind of toy gun now-a-days.

I bet the sale of BB and pellet guns (real ones, not the airsoft toys) have plummeted in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Another things, we used to have full scale 'wars' in my neighbor hood when I was a kid.  Anyone else do this?  I'm sure noone does today.

We'd go out in the evening and split into teams, pick a home base and spread out around the entire neighborhood and wait until dark to attack.  We'd use toy guns, water guns, bb guns, whatever we had.  That would never happen today.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The only things I see left are super soakers.
They might come in neon colors, but they aren't missing all the military mentality. Laramie makes a bullpup model and one with an integral bipod.
Still, they lack the beauty of twin cowboy sixguns or a mini-m-16
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm going to have to dig out my electric MP5 squirt gun out of my old closet and officially add it to my collection.

[IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/violent/gore.gif[/IMG]  
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't just toy guns anymore, I think that society is trying to take away anything "fun" that can be potentially 'dangerous' to a child.  I guess the belief is if a kid doesn't have access to a toy that looks like an evil gun, than he won't want guns when he grows up.  But I think the effect is the opposite.  Now instead of kids running around 'shooting' eachother with toy rifles, they are going to school with their parents real guns (or illegally obtained guns) and shooting up their classmates.

Take fireworks for example, used to be able to get anything under the sun, but this year I couldn't get anything worth a damn.  I understand the fire hazard factor, but now kids are making pipe bombs instead of playing with relatively harmless blackcats.

I'm not a psychologist or sociologist, but there has to be something that can be deduced from that.  If you let kids play out there adventures in a safe manner, they won't feel the need to live out these 'violent' scenarios.  If they only get to see fighting on TV or video games, where there is no real physical interaction and no consequences, they are more likely to react in a violent manner.

Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn’t surprise me one bit.  Sh*t, they won’t even let kids play dodge-ball at school anymore something about the game promoting violence and all the other b.s.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 3:28:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#9]
We used to have great neighborhood battles when I was growing up too.  I grew up in Staten Island NY which is part of NYC too!  A bunch of us had WWII surplus helmets and canteen belts.  We'd fill in the gaps with green pants and shirts.  If we didn't have guns, we'd make them out of scraps of wood and copper tubing.  In high school (Catholic no less), seniors were allowed to dress up for Halloween.  I went as a GI and got on a NYC bus with a dummy '03 Springfield parade rifle and brought it into my school.  No one batted an eye and a lot of the teachers thought it was a pretty cool costume.  

That was 18 years ago.  Boy have times changed.  

Not much going on with neighborhood battles anymore.  I took my 7 year-old son to the range on Independence Day and we put about 250 rounds through my 10/22.  I'm hoping he'll continue the gun culture into the next generation.

Regards,
SOL
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
This generation is lost.  Today, you can't point a chicken finger and say "bang" at the same time.  When I was a kid, I made my rifle from an old chair leg.  I put tape on the support and used that for the pistol grip.  I preferred the "Dick Tracy" detective style pistol over the six shooter.  

We used to walk down the street with our BB guns and .22s.  The only concern was that we don't break any windows.  Sometimes I watch old shows like "Andy Griffith", and wonder if we will ever see those days again.  Today, kids have video games, and don't use their imagination as much.  I could be wrong, but nobody seems to be teaching them how to determine on their own right from wrong.  Kids just sit in front of the idiot box and learn morals from Hollywood.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife just came home with a new toy GATTLING cap gun for my 8 year old...needless to say I/we have been having loads of fun with it!!

Its a cheapo plasic thing but hey its barrels rotate!!
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
we did, into our teenage years too. Mainly used the cap guns that used the plastic strips of caps. I had a berreta 92 look alike (with an orange tip). Also had some none-cap toy guns, including an M16, pretty close to full size.

Quoted:
Another things, we used to have full scale 'wars' in my neighbor hood when I was a kid.  Anyone else do this?  I'm sure noone does today.

We'd go out in the evening and split into teams, pick a home base and spread out around the entire neighborhood and wait until dark to attack.  We'd use toy guns, water guns, bb guns, whatever we had.  That would never happen today.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
My kids use a broken track off a tank as a belt on one of there neon guns.I don't know where they get this stuff.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember one time that I was playing toy guns in my front yard and someone calledthe cops on me!!They came to my house because some lady driving by said that some kids were running playing with gunsand pointing them at cars. When the cops came to my house they asked to see the toy guns we were playing with . When they looked at them they said that I should paint them red or bright pink or something like that. That was about 8 years ago when I was 10. I can only imagine what it's like now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Im currently in high school in Oregon this is no joke Ive been stopped several times in the halls talking with my friends when i make my hand in the shape of a gun and say bang! they get at you saying that is not appropriate in school I look at them every time like ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR F*CKING MIND!
My new thing now is every time they walk buty i do that but instead of saying bang i say ZAP it really gets to them after a while who cares!

My dad told me when he was a senior in high school he brought his hunting rifle into class and showed the class how to take a gun apart and clean it. He said no one in class thought i was odd or thought anything of it the teacher didnt mind ether. Oh and he is 48
just letting you all in onthe BS that goes on with public education
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#16]
7 years ago when i was in 6th grade for halloween i went as a soilder and took a dummy grenade to school! n oone gave a damn the principal just said u dont be throwing that thing at any one ok. oh by the way this was in CAliforia of all places
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If i ever have kids, im buying them all japanese made airsoft guns [:p] steyr augs, and Hk USP's.

if cops tell my kids that they have to paint there "guns" orange, i'll ask them to show me what law says that.

kid militia lib [bounce]
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with what HKocher and felixcat touched upon.

In the rush to make the children safe from pain society has seen to it these same kids have no idea what pain is.

If you have ever had a blackcat explode in your fingers you relize, rather suddenly, that a pipe bomb would be a bigger diaster.

If you've never been shot with a BB gun you have no concept of what getting hit with an -06 might be like.

I let my daughter ride her bike without saftey gear. I learned to ride without the stuff and so did she. I learned not to fall off. And so did she.

Pain is knowledge. When you know that pain is on the other side of the envelope, you approach to edge with more thought and care.

Society is depriving it's youth of the knowlege of pain. And that, IMHO, is why we see such violent acts perptrated by today's youth.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The kids in my neighborhood do, including my 5 year old son.  Most of the parents are fence sitters and don't own guns.  With their permission, I have taken the majority of the kids to the range for their first experience, and even a couple of the parents.  I never miss a chance to take a kid and their parent to the range.  The more the merrier!

BTW, the neighborhood kids think I am the coolest guy on the block.

Edited to say no BB gun wars for my kids.  They are treated like any other rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top