Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2001 2:09:20 PM EDT
Guys,

I need your help!  I am about to get my pistol permit in the very near future, and I plan on going to my local shop on the ninth to put down some cash on my first handgun.  I am new to all this and decided that a 9 mm is best for my first gun, however 40 S&W are nice too.  In my price range, (under $400, I’m still a student) my local guy has 4 guns I’m interested in.  

Two new Rugers:
The P95DC 9mm for $325
Or the P94 in 40 for $415

And two used (don’t kill me here) S&Ws:
The 5906 9mm for $375 (with a hi-cap factory mag)
Or the 5967 9mm for $345 (with hi-cap mag)

I understand the politics of S&W and will take them into consideration and I know what many of you will say to that... !?!

The Rugers are inexpensive but bulky, though I can live with that.  But are they good?  

PLEASE HELP  I wanna buy something on the ninth!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Try and find a used Beretta 92FS.  There are a lot of police trade ins  out there with lots of holster wear but little use.  Should be able to find one for under 400.  Might as well go for the military standard.

Sorry, a Ruger was my first pistol and I just don't shoot it because of the funky grip.

Take a look at the HS2000.  You can find them new in the 300-350 range and are quite excellent pistols.  Ask McUzi.

Also look at the CZ75s. Excellent pistols at a reasonable price.

All these are better than the options you listed.

Now how about some more pictures of your girlfriend. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger P95 is an excellent weapon.  You should be able to find it for less than $325 though.  I got mine 3 years ago for $275, so they shouldn't have gone up that much in price.  

Go with the P95, you can find pre-ban P89 15-shot mags for 15-20 bucks a piece and 20/30 rounders are also available.

They're accurate too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Well guys the GF told me when I get a new pistol, she'll pose with it, so get your thinking caps on!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:28:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Well he has several Glocks and I'd love to get one but they range from $400-475 used.  In this range are the full size and medium sized nines and 40s but I have to admit I can't keep all the models straight since I felt them out of my range.  

So you know, this guy may be a little high, but not too bad for the area.  He is considered to be a good guy at a fair price.  I'd really like to buy from him if possible, even if it means paying a few dollars more.  

So with that said Glock is the way to go huh?  Think I just need to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash?
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't get a S&W 9mm.  They are notoriously inaccurate.  At least the ones I have owned were.  Rugers are ok but blocky.  I found a used Glock 19 for about $350 a couple of months ago.  Something like that would be a very good choice.  A double action revolver is always a good first handgun, but you seem to want a 9mm.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Under no circumstances should you waste your hard earned money on a Smith; they are junk.

Get the Ruger or a good used Glock. The CZ's are also a good choice. You really can't go wrong with these three.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't own a Glock, but I have shot them before; both the 17 and the 19. In my opinion both shot good and felt comfortable in my hand.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm no expert, and lots of people love the glock, but I was not impressed with it's accuracy(model 22 .40S&W).  I would expect it to group better than it did for me for the cost of one.  I have heard nothing but praise for the HS2000, though its hard to find anything but praise for the glock too.  You could get your dealer to order you one in.  Southern Ohio Guns had them listed for 250.00 dealer cost, not too long ago.  I've had my dealer order several firearms from SOG and it was never any trouble for him.
guns762
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I also would pass on the S&W 5906.  I have one that I bought some 15 or so years ago.  I would not go as far at to say is is junk like Ruzhyo due to the fact that is has a couple of thousand rounds through it and has never given me any porblems.  However, as far a the accuracy as stated by Watch-Six, I will attest to that.  It is one of the most inconsistant and inaccurate I have shot.  I also would look at the CZ.

CH
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
where in NY are you CounterStrike? just asking since i know some vendors in VT that have far better prices with far more choices. contact me if you want.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#12]
the Ruger P95 is an excellent pistol. It doesn't have the "sexy" Govt. contracts, but it is rugged, reliable, affordable, and backed by one of the best gun manufacturers on the planet. Their customer service is unparalleled.

The CZ75B is also an excellent choice. This will be my next pistol purchase.

I would stick to 9mm. Cheap ammo, and available everywhere. Lots of surplus ammo out there.

Try these pistols out and find out which one is most comfortable for you. If you can, definitely try and shoot them before you buy.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I personally hate Ruger's. They just feel wierd. And the tolerances don't seem to tight. The metal seems to be 2nd class to. I agree to getting a Baretta 92FS or Glock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
In your price range i would definately stick with the Ruger.  The CZ seems like it may be an excellent choice as well.

I had some reloads jam a Glock solid one time.  I had to take the gun apart, and knock the cartrige out with a dowel rod.  The Glock had a light strike on the primer.  Getting it apart was kinda tuff.  Anyway, I had failed to size the case all the way down.   The Ruger ate them up, the Glock jammed on each one.  

For the money, a Ruger is hard to beat, they are tough and reliable.  It would be a great gun to learn on.  I have to USA high caps that seem to work flawlessly in this gun.  One even holds 16 rounds.

I have never fired a CZ, but from what I hear they are quite nice as well, the look a little slimmer so they may fit your hands better.  Me I like the wide grip, but that is just me.

Good luck, I don't think you can wrong either way.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I vote no on Ruger and S&W. Unless you want a revolver, then S&W. A Glock is good, I'd suggest going with a 40 S&W. 9mm are nice but you''l probably want something with more punch soon.

What's your primary use for your first handgun?

I'd also suggest you find a range that rents guns and try out a few, you may figure out a few personal preferences.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Do NOT skimp on the firearm you may have to defend your life with someday... save and get the best, period. IMHO, I think the H&K USP .40 Compact is the best way to go, as far as concealed carry goes and it's not that much more if you shop around. Mine has 4500+ rounds through it, with not one malfunction, ever.  A Kahr 40 is also a good choice, a bit closer to your price range, and a whole lot smaller and easier to conceal.

And please don't support S&W!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't go wrong if you pick the Ruger.  I have a P85 Mark II, and have never had a jam with it.  I even use it to shoot in local USPSA matches.  Very accurate!  I have also shot a CZ in .45 acp that had over 10,000 rounds through it, and it put all the shots in a 1.5 inch group at 30 feet.  It is also one of the most comfortable holding handgun I have ever shot.

David
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
First off, if this is your first pistol, I'd go with a 9mm.  The key to learning to shoot a pistol well is practice, practice, and more practice.  The 9mm ammo will cost less and be less tiring on the hands, therefore encouraging long practice sessions.  Given the choices you listed, I would recommend the Ruger over the S&W.  Politics aside, S&W autos are junk.  However, for about $375-400 you can buy a nice, used Glock 17 or 19.  Glocks and H&Ks are the finest autopistols made.  I was at a local shop yesterday and they had several good condition used Glock 9mms for $400 or a little less.  The Beretta 92FS is a good first gun, but they seem to run more money for used ones.

So, depending on where in NYS you live, I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.  E-mail me if you'd like.

Anyway, if you're considering buying a S&W or Ruger for around $400 or so, get a Glock 17/19.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You don't need a hand gun or a carry permit.  If you get yourself into a situation that you think you might get hurt or killed simply use a cell phone to call the police, they will be happy to assist you.  This way you save money and help keep those around you safe. [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow,

Thanks for the responses (even you Mr. Clinton).
I guess the S&W is out.  With everything I've heard I most likely will go with a Glock.  Like I said my local dealer has at least 3 or 4 9mms to choose from.  It does however sound like this guy is a little high, but just starting out, the $20 extra dollars is worth making a friend in the biz so close to my home.  Guess I better get to reseaching Glocks over at Glocktalk.com  

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]
yeah, i'd go with a glock. ive shot em before and i like them, but the trigger is a little squishy to me. i just bought my first pistol today (i turned 21 yesterday). it's a kimber custom target. a little higher than what your wanting. good luck finding a good deal and have fun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
hey, Counterstrike!  : )

why aren't you considering a 45? personally, i would rather go with a 45 auto... perhaps a sig 220?

i've limited experience with handguns, but have shot ParaOrdnance, Glocks, S&W, and Kimbers...

i haven't found the 45 to be too difficult to manage.

just curious as to your thinking... i will be making similar choices soon  : )

respects... Blade
Jeff C/NY
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#24]
You don't say what your intended use is.  

If you were looking for an inexpensive target pistol I'd go with one of the many Ruger .22 Mark II variations. They're inexpensive, accurate and fun to shoot. You can shoot 500 rounds of .22 for what a box of 50-factory 9MM cost. IMHO everyone’s first pistol should be a .22.  

After many years my Ruger .22 is still one of my favorite pistols.  Paid a whopping $40 for it used!

If you have your heart set on a 9MM look for a police trade-in SIG P226 or Glock 17.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
As this will be my first pistol, whatever I choose will have the unenviable task of being an all purpose gun for a while.  I want something I can practice with fairly inexpensively and yet still get the woody factor!  This is my first handgun but not my first time shooting one.  I just don't think a .22 is gonna do it for me, I've fired them enough already I guess.  

Later I'll worry about a Big fun revolver, someday a 1911, eventually something I can conceal...  but for now I just want a all purpose, fun, yet useful pistol.  

You guys have pretty much talked me into going down to put some cash on the Glock 17, now I just have to wrap up all the coins in my change jar to help pay for it.....

Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#27]
If you have the dedication the CZ75,EAA Witness,1911 would be fine.I would stay with the 9MM if you want deals on ammo.If your not a reloader its the way to go.If you would consider a revolver how about the Ruger Blackhawk convertible 357/9MM.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Good choice.  Great gun to start of on.  If you want to shot more for less, you should save up to get the Ciener .22 kit for the Glock.  More bang for the buck.[grenade]
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:28:56 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm into Glock & 1911s.  I have seen a spankin new P95 go 400 plus rounds without a failure in one outing.  No prior oiling cleaning or anything.  It was a new friend's and he had more ammo and buddies willing to shoot it than brains.  Darn that thing was HOT.  All of it was FMJ though.

I always ask if my new gun will be accurate enough to shoot out street lights from the back of a moving pickup.

Doug  
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Just get a 1911! its better for concealed carry (not a "fat body") ammo cost a little more, but it's a much bette man stopper. if you want an "all purpose" round the .45 is bowerful, accurate and, if not exactly cheap, its not temost expensive. A plus....1911s just rock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2001 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Have you thought about a Makarov in 9x18? It's not as glamorous as the Glocks, but is an all-around good gun for your needs right now.  The Mak is accurate, easy to conceal, cheap to shoot, fun to shoot, and is very dependable. You should be able to get one for under $200. Of all my pistols, I shoot my Makarovs the most.  You can email me if you have any questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top