Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 2:08:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I agree my statement was a little out of line, I apologize for that.  But your statements about the army being the only ones on the ground fall into the catagory of doesn't mater if you are on the ground if nothing is happening on that ground.  I have never said the army wasn't effective, since they exsist to win America's wars, but the army has done less actually contingency missions, real world deployments since 1945 than the Marine Corps. That is just a fact, they have manned numerous post on the old cold war defensive line.  But in most cases those were no more strenuous than any normal PCS move.  Go read Swatzkopfs book there is a good line in there that talked about OPtemp in the Army, prior to the Gulf, to paraphrase him other than Vietnam he had never really been away from home for greater than a few months.  That is what the Marine Corps is all about, we are an expeditionary force.  Why do you think your chief of staff wants the ICBT, to all the army an expeditionary force with fire power, after about ten years of what the Marine Corps has been doing for over 50, the medium force is starting to look a lot like the Marine Corps.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#2]
My son enlisted USMC 2 years & 4 months ago - against my wishes, I might add.
He just made SGT last week.
View Quote

Outstanding!!!  Your son must be walking on water to get promoted that quickly!

Link Posted: 7/5/2001 8:38:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let me comment in a like manner ....

Who's the elite in the Marines ?  Recon - which is airborne infantry.  Army has a whole division of 'em.  Then - what do the Marines have after Recon ?  That's IT.  Army, you keep on going if you have what it takes (Rangers, SF, Delta, etc.).

You want to train, but never need to worry about going on real-world missions ?  Join the Marines.

Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia ....  Seemed like ARMY to me.

Who is forward-deployed throughout the world and performing real-world missions as we speak ?  Army.

Chris
View Quote

Ahem... WRONG!!!

Being active duty Navy, I [b]know[/b] that the Marines are forward deployed more often than the Army. How do I know? Marines come on board with us for 6 months at a time when we go underway. 2,000 Marines and 1,000 Sailors on one big grey ship sailing for 6 months looking for some a$$ to kick.

I didn't join the either, but if they were the only choices, I would have joined the Corps.

"...looking for a few good men."

View Quote

On another note. I serve on the USS IWO JIMA, and just wanted to know how to post that IWO JIMA flag raising icon.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#4]
my $0.01.  i was an infantry officer, 1st marine div., 1988 to 1990. The usmc infantry units have a pride that cannot really be defined.  the pride is based on tough training, history, and expectations from yourself and your fellow marines to be the best at all times no matter the circumstances.  the usmc is the only service with their own ships, aircraft(fixed wing and helos), artillery, tanks, the best infantry on earth and everything required to carry on a war ON THEIR OWN, FAR FROM THE USA. i have no real experience with any type of special forces but have great respect for such members, but keep in mind spec ops forces are small and lightly armed, not equipped to whip serious ass, but usually avoid/break contact asap.  don't confuse spec ops with infantry ops.
Link Posted: 7/5/2001 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The actual most effective units that the army had, were its heavy units (the ones that be your description aren't elite).
View Quote

24th Infantry Division (Mech) - [b]Victory in the Gulf!![/b]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top